not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Funds

28 Jul 2020, 16:37

Hi,
What do people think of the funds available to invest in on the pension site? I find some of the choices strange. For example for the global growth the fund has poor returns while most competitors in that market have far better returns. Dodge and Cox who run that fund aren’t exactly a well know name. Why not a company that has a track record in that area, such as Rathbone or Axa or Lindsell train.
I feel the 10 year cycle is very defensive and would be good to have the option of a global growth or Tech fund.
Ideally we should have a platform like Hargreaves Lansdown which would let us invest with far better providers. Any thoughts?

Funds

28 Jul 2020, 19:49

I can't really comment on why some funds are chosen instead of others, perhaps that's something you need to ask the RMDCP trustees or Scottish Widows. But I suspect charges may be an issue and some might not deal with company DC schemes.

I don't know much about Dodge & Cox, but a quick Google suggests they've been in existence for 90 years and currently have 6 funds, their Global Stock fund has been going since 2008. I would agree the returns haven't been particularly good, but past performance isn't always a good guide to future returns.

10 years to go until retirement and you're getting into the territory of slowly moving away from equities and into safer investments. If you don't want to do that, then don't sign up to the lifecycle option and manage your pension savings yourself, obviously using the funds available.

Most companies often have similar arrangements as the RMDCP does with SW, they offer a platform with basic fund choices – a few equity funds plus bonds & cash. That's because most people haven't really got much idea how to invest. They often have the default lifecycle options too, which members don't have to think too much about.

In practice you're never going to please everybody. There's always going to be people who want the greater choice that HL(or similar) would provide, but the majority wouldn't have a clue!

Funds

28 Jul 2020, 21:07

I chose sharia fund and last 10 years performance is excellent holding mostly tech stocks may be that's why I wish we have choice of like fundsmith Lindsell and Baillie gifford

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1