not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Current AVC investments

24 Mar 2020, 19:01

dandydon wrote:
linntroika wrote:Having just checked my AVC account online , i see its dropped quite a good bit given the current stock market situation . Do you think it would be wise just to invest any future contributions in the CASH fund until the markets have stabilised

thanks in advance

I would the complete opposite - and put more into AVC's - the market and funds will recover eventually - so get them while they are cheaper in price.

Looking at mine I see I have bought back in sharia at 13.51 and someone did say they were at 16. So surely over the long term it will rise again..

Current AVC investments

25 Mar 2020, 17:35

cloherty1976 wrote:
dandydon wrote:
linntroika wrote:Having just checked my AVC account online , i see its dropped quite a good bit given the current stock market situation . Do you think it would be wise just to invest any future contributions in the CASH fund until the markets have stabilised

thanks in advance

I would the complete opposite - and put more into AVC's - the market and funds will recover eventually - so get them while they are cheaper in price.

Looking at mine I see I have bought back in sharia at 13.51 and someone did say they were at 16. So surely over the long term it will rise again..

I never understand - in times likes these (or any other reason) - when the markets decline - people jump ship...sell/put it in cash etc etc.
The basic rule of investing...they go down as well as up...if people know that but panic when things go bad...why invest in the first place then. ?
Invest what you can...get advice...do the reading...understand the basivcs...be sensible

If you have years to go before retirement...then invest it (if you can spare it)

Current AVC investments

25 Mar 2020, 18:24

dandydon wrote:
cloherty1976 wrote:
dandydon wrote:

thanks in advance

I never understand - in times likes these (or any other reason) - when the markets decline - people jump ship...sell/put it in cash etc etc.
The basic rule of investing...they go down as well as up...if people know that but panic when things go bad...why invest in the first place then. ?
Invest what you can...get advice...do the reading...understand the basivcs...be sensible

If you have years to go before retirement...then invest it (if you can spare it)

I am in this for the long term and it’s basically money I can’t touch till I retire.
What I have done is sold when they are high and bought more back when they are lower.
The whole process is not like when you buy shares .
You never know exactly when they are sold or bought.
I got back in the sharia fund yesterday and the fund has gone down when the Dow Jones had its best ever day since 1933.
This is money I can afford to lose although I certainly don’t want to but will do what I think is right and either reap the rewards or suffer the consequences.

Current AVC investments

25 Mar 2020, 22:34

dandydon wrote:

thanks in advance

A very good point. I'm carrying on investing with the same strategy I have been for a while. There should be a recovery before I'm hoping to retire, aged 60 in just over 7 years.

Current AVC investments

26 Mar 2020, 08:37

Here are some stats to illustrate the value of keeping invested and more importantly CONTINUING to invest when markets slump.

Portfolio A down 26% 2 weeks ago. Now down 16%.

I bought Whitbread at £47, right down to £20:50p, currently £30. Also, Standard Life, BP, Diageo, HSBC & GlaxoSmithKline. Don't forget, you may well have to wait for your investment to recover but the dividends (if any) keep rolling in.

Obviously we're all different, risks, attitudes needs and my only qualifications is 29 years of amateur investing. But staying invested is a proven strategy.

Current AVC investments

26 Mar 2020, 11:23

As has already been mentioned upthread, in general terms it's time in the market that matters, not trying to time the market. Because you can quite easily miss out on the good days where prices rise significantly, and that can have a big impact on the value of your investments.

For example, the FTSE100 increased by nearly 9% in one day recently. Had you been in cash, you'd have missed out on that, you might have also missed out on dividend payments, and so compounded growth.

This article goes into more detail: https://www.tilney.co.uk/news/it-s-abou ... he-markets

Current AVC investments

29 Mar 2020, 04:45

RobertT wrote:As has already been mentioned upthread, in general terms it's time in the market that matters, not trying to time the market. Because you can quite easily miss out on the good days where prices rise significantly, and that can have a big impact on the value of your investments.

For example, the FTSE100 increased by nearly 9% in one day recently. Had you been in cash, you'd have missed out on that, you might have also missed out on dividend payments, and so compounded growth.

This article goes into more detail: https://www.tilney.co.uk/news/it-s-abou ... he-markets

Been lucky so far and putting my sharia back into cash.
Problem is I did this Friday morning when the market was down 400 points in US so will be interesting to see how long it takes this time. Last time it was at least 5 days to change funds.

Current AVC investments

01 Apr 2020, 06:02

This time it was processed by Wednesday morning so I don’t think there is a exact timing on how long funds take to sell.
Great result though but more luck than judgement!

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2