not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Current AVC investments

12 Mar 2020, 12:55

Having just checked my AVC account online , i see its dropped quite a good bit given the current stock market situation . Do you think it would be wise just to invest any future contributions in the CASH fund until the markets have stabilised

thanks in advance

Current AVC investments

12 Mar 2020, 15:02

I moved mine to cautious when it started dropping, but this fund still has 20% in equities.
Its pretty easy to move it although the website was not available on and off at the time.
I did read somewhere that pension investments dont update that quickly, but I am not sure that this applies to AVC'S
I am quite close to taking it out which influenced my choice.

Current AVC investments

12 Mar 2020, 15:40

Generally it's time in the market that matters, rather than timing the market. So if you've still got a way to go until retirement, personally I wouldn't change anything. But if you're approaching the age at which you plan to access your cash, you should really be transferring away from the most volatile investments anyway.

Current AVC investments

12 Mar 2020, 15:42

Surely as the markets have fallen so drastically, the only way from here is up.
So if you change to cash now you will miss out on any recovery.
Hold your nerve and hope for the best is what I'm doing.

Current AVC investments

12 Mar 2020, 16:37

Dexydog wrote:Surely as the markets have fallen so drastically, the only way from here is up.
So if you change to cash now you will miss out on any recovery.
Hold your nerve and hope for the best is what I'm doing.

I dont intend to transfer any money built up in cautious , growth or balanced , i was considering placing all future payments into cash fund for the time being - thanks

Current AVC investments

12 Mar 2020, 18:15

I transfered the majority of mine into cash after the first drop but all my weekly payments still going into growth and sharia funds as it will eventually recover. I have 5 years till im 55 so plenty of time for it go back up

Current AVC investments

12 Mar 2020, 19:37

Corporal Jones: "Don't Panic...". As RobertT says "time in the market" not "timing the market" is what counts.

However bad the news looks, now is a good time to be investing in the market providing you have a long term outlook. Shares/Funds are 20%+ cheaper than they were a month ago.

Current AVC investments

12 Mar 2020, 20:14

I just checked my AVC's aswell as my personal pension and equity ISA and carnage probably describes it quite well, compared to this time last month. Although I transferred some money into safer funds 6+ months ago, so it could have been worse. And my investments are still worth more today compared with this time last year. 2019 was a particularly good year for me. :thumbup

There may be people who think we're 'doomed all doomed' but I experienced the market crashes in 2001 and 2008 which were worse than we've seen so far with the 'Coronavirus crash'. And I saw my investments not only recover their previous values in the years afterwards, but go much higher too.

As long as you have time on your hands, my advice would be to sit tight and don't do anything rash.

Current AVC investments

12 Mar 2020, 20:25

Dexydog wrote:Surely as the markets have fallen so drastically, the only way from here is up.

There were people on here saying that about Royal Mail shares when they were £3.50.

Current AVC investments

12 Mar 2020, 22:17

I agree with many of the posts above. The situation at the moment is mighty grim but history suggests that the markets will recover. With a little over 6 years untill I retire I intend sitting tight and will continue buying units on a weekly basis in my chosen funds.

And as someone who is eagerly awaiting the introduction of the new Royal Mail Pension Scheme all I can say is "thank goodness for Brexit and it's delaying impact on the entry date to our new scheme !" Things would be even grimmer if the new CDC proposition had been implemented ???

Current AVC investments

20 Mar 2020, 00:56

I took a 5% drop in my fund sharia law and changed it to cash fund. I have reinvested back into the sharia fund with the Dow at 19000. 5 years till retirement so will be interesting to see if made the right choice or should I have waited for it to drop further!!

Current AVC investments

20 Mar 2020, 14:54

Just checked Funds currently down 13.5% :d'oh! , have postponed all future contribution for the foreseeable

Current AVC investments

20 Mar 2020, 15:14

linntroika wrote:Just checked Funds currently down 13.5% :d'oh! , have postponed all future contribution for the foreseeable

My equity ISA has done down around 27%, but I see no reason to reduce my current monthly contributions, as I'll be buying in the sales. I may put in a lump sum or two aswell.

But it's up to the individual to make their own choice. :thumbup

Current AVC investments

20 Mar 2020, 18:06

My S&S isa down by 35%! Ho hum... :hmmmm

Current AVC investments

20 Mar 2020, 21:14

I haven't checked my investments and pensions for a few days now. Investments and Pensions are like marathons. They are a long term thing and anyone investing or opening a pension today ( who is in there 20s, 30s and 40s ) could do very well by the time retirement comes around ???

I took the plunge on 13th March and opened a new Stocks and Shares ISA with a few hundred quid I'd earmarked for my Cash ISA this year ? Gone down the "All World Passive Tracker" route....call it a little flutter...it's money I can afford to loose ( or maybe not :hmmmm ) ... but let's just see how it goes ???

A colleague who has been invested in gilts and bonds tells me things are looking good right now !!! Investing is a gamble, let's not kid ourselves...

The content in the above post is not financial advice.

Current AVC investments

21 Mar 2020, 11:41

linntroika wrote:Just checked Funds currently down 13.5% :d'oh! , have postponed all future contribution for the foreseeable

Had a change of heart :Very Happy , the cash fund has not varied at all over the past month ,therefore all future contribution will be put into it , after all im still gaining the 32% guaranteed :dance

Current AVC investments

21 Mar 2020, 12:04

Investing is a gamble, let's not kid ourselves...

Speculating is a gamble, that's when timimg is crucial.
You should never speculate with your own retirement income.

Investment is generally not a gamble but there are still losers and unfortunately those are the ones who were probably sitting on the cusp of derisking just as this kicked off and have no time to repair the damage . Having said that they have also enjoyed a prolonged period of pretty much consistent and unprecedented growth so it looks bad if you look at 6 months performance but not if you look at 20 years.

Current AVC investments

22 Mar 2020, 16:21

linntroika wrote:

Had a change of heart :Very Happy , the cash fund has not varied at all over the past month ,therefore all future contribution will be put into it , after all im still gaining the 32% guaranteed :dance

I have transferred my fund from cash to sharia last Tuesday but it’s still not showing. Will be interesting to see when the change happens as funds went up and down last week..

Current AVC investments

24 Mar 2020, 07:58

cloherty1976 wrote:
linntroika wrote:

I have transferred my fund from cash to sharia last Tuesday but it’s still not showing. Will be interesting to see when the change happens as funds went up and down last week..

Finally gone through took a week to transfer funds

Current AVC investments

24 Mar 2020, 16:56

linntroika wrote:Having just checked my AVC account online , i see its dropped quite a good bit given the current stock market situation . Do you think it would be wise just to invest any future contributions in the CASH fund until the markets have stabilised

thanks in advance

I would the complete opposite - and put more into AVC's - the market and funds will recover eventually - so get them while they are cheaper in price.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2