04 Feb 2020, 18:41
So this is in relation to my NRA 60 Pension and lump sum. I received the initial lump sum payment 3 months ago and received these revised one today.
My reason for writing is that I thought my lump sum was my NRA 60 pension + AVC amount divided by 4 would give you your 25% tax free lump sum.
However their calculation is simply your pension x 20 divided by 3. Is that correct.
Here are the figures i have received today.
From the information sent to me from Capita I can see that the revised benefits payable from RMSPS will remain the same with a pension of £6415.49 and a tax free lump sum of £42769.93. The tax free lump sum paid to you was funded from your AVC account and is the maximum that can be paid at this time based upon your pension of £6415.49 (20 x £6415.49 / 3 = £42769.93) under the HMRC
Are there figures correct ?
05 Feb 2020, 00:37
If you have avcs total 1/3rd of your annual pension times by the multiplier then it would be correct.
Annual pension. £6000
Its just be a quirk of the maths.
RobertT would be the man to ask.
05 Feb 2020, 05:33
Renrag40's answer is correct!
Your maths to work it out would be:
pension x 20 + AVC's / 4 = 25% tax free lump sum; or in money terms
6,415 x 20 + 42,769 / 4 = 42,769
If I remember correctly you've taken your NRA60 and you have AVC's of more than 25%? Therefore the £42,769 is the maximum tax free amount you can take with your NRA60.
It's not so much a quirk of the maths, it's because you have AVC's worth more than 25%.
So in practice they've worked out your NRA60 as £128,300(6415x20) which equates to 75% of your total NRA60 pot and then added on the other 25% or £42,769 to make it up to 100%.
You will still have some AVC's to fund your tax free cash with your NRA65, aswell as the DBCBS.
But anything over 25% of those benefits has be taken as a taxable lump sum.
05 Feb 2020, 20:33