not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Labours 10.50p minimum wage and PSE

08 Dec 2019, 07:03

Jeremy Corbyn has said that he wants to renationalise Royal Mail because it is a natural monopoly. He's completely wrong. It used to be a monopoly but not anymore now we're a parcels business. Under a Labour government our shares would be bought back but no guarantee what price. The shareholders dividends would stop but of course the nationalisation has to be cost neutral so we would be paying millions every year voa the external financing limit. It would be a disaster for the company starved of investment and on a downward spiral. For a natural monopoly such as the Railways nationalisation may be better but not for RM.

08 Dec 2019, 10:14

True, and while there's a moral dimension to the argument for renationalising the utilities, railways and the National Grid, there's isn't anything other than 1970s-era dogma about renationalising RM. Just another courier among many.
Still, the naivety of some who believe that 1) RM will ever be renationalised, and 2) if it was, the "good old days" would return, is always good for a wry smile. :whistle

08 Dec 2019, 12:48

Tman wrote:True, and while there's a moral dimension to the argument for renationalising the utilities, railways and the National Grid, there's isn't anything other than 1970s-era dogma about renationalising RM. Just another courier among many.
Still, the naivety of some who believe that 1) RM will ever be renationalised, and 2) if it was, the "good old days" would return, is always good for a wry smile. :whistle

Good post. I also believe the return to the good old days wont happen. It's gone, get over it. Sadly it is what it is. I think the CWU now has to focus on retaining as many jobs as possible. Making sure that jobs lost are voluntary and that a decent pay off is achieved for those leaving. I think the retention of a Saturday delivery of letters was the biggest mistake made. When the 5 day working came in it should have been reduced to parcels and specials only, with prep of walks ready for the next delivery. I'm on a late shift now. A walk followed by collections. Some of the companies are sending nothing out, more than once a week, preferring to email clients instead.

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 3   1, 2, 3