not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Awaiting corresponence after reporting death

20 Dec 2018, 10:32

Hi all
I phoned the pensions bods 11 days ago to advise of my 84 year old father's death (ex Post office and Royal Mail worker for over 35 years, like myself) and was told that paperwork would be on the way, still nothing received as of todays post not even a "sorry for your loss" letter. As my mother has no real idea of her financial position (still not heard if her state pension will increase either as she was on the minimum state pension rate) she is now worrying (probably unduly, she is 79 and remembers what being without money is like!) that she will have to sell the house she has lived for over 40 years. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to reply with the necessary paperwork? I know for a fact this is a common occurence for them so it shouldn't this take long to knock up the paperwork and post it.

Thanks in advance

Mark

21 Dec 2018, 11:58

Sorry for your loss. As regard your mother she will go to the basic pension of £158 per week. If she has savings off less than £16,000 she will also qualify for pension credit which on average is worth another £34 per week. If their is any mortgage still on the house, she could get mortgage interest payments to cover the interest still owed. Also as she is getting on in her years, she could get attendance allowance. This is for help with the cost of helping older people with health problems and most people who put in for it WILL get it. This will give you between £55 to £161 per week on top of everything else. Go see a welfare rights worker, there will be one at your local citizens advice centre/local council. Also don't forget she will be entitled to 50% of your dad's pension now. Some of these forms look a nightmare to fill in, but most of the questions in them don't need answering as they are ment for everyone applying. I deal with these forms every day and although a pain, in the long run, your mum is only getting what she is entitled and paid for. A lot of the older generation don't like claiming. Anyway, again sorry for your loss and I hope this gives you some information that can be of use to you.

21 Dec 2018, 20:11

JUst had a similar thing to this. My stepfather passed away at the start of October and amongst all the other things my mum contacted Capita to inform them as he had a RM pension. They said they needed to send forms out to her for completion. After a few weeks no forms had been forthcoming despite other pension companies etc having sorted out all their paperwork and confirming to my mum what she was entitled too. Numerous times she made phone calls to Capita only to be told that they were waiting for authorisation to send the forms out - god only knows why you need authorisation to send out forms for completion!!! In all it took them ages to get their arses in gear and it was only this week that they finally let her know how much she was entitled too. Don’t expect anything to move quickly they are awful by all accounts. My sister’s work was taken over by them and she said they were horrendous and felt sorry for me that they had taken over the RM pension.Capita seem to attract loads of criticism and not everyone can be wrong. God knows how they got their mitts on the pension plan. Can see many problems for people over the next few years.

24 Dec 2018, 14:27

thegannet wrote:Hi all
I phoned the pensions bods 11 days ago to advise of my 84 year old father's death (ex Post office and Royal Mail worker for over 35 years, like myself) and was told that paperwork would be on the way, still nothing received as of todays post not even a "sorry for your loss" letter. As my mother has no real idea of her financial position (still not heard if her state pension will increase either as she was on the minimum state pension rate) she is now worrying (probably unduly, she is 79 and remembers what being without money is like!) that she will have to sell the house she has lived for over 40 years. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to reply with the necessary paperwork? I know for a fact this is a common occurence for them so it shouldn't this take long to knock up the paperwork and post it.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hello, Sorry to hear about your father, it's a difficult time and you really don't need the hassle with Capita. I'm afraid it seems par for the course at the moment; since Capita took over the running of the scheme on 1st Oct a huge backlog has built up. You'll see under the "Capita utter farce" thread on this notice board the problems others are having with Capita. You might find some of the info posted on that thread of use to you if you get time to have a read through. In particular, emailing Jonathan Lewis the CEO has worked for several of us so far, here's his email address ......... Jonathan.Lewis@capita.com ...... it seems once he gets involved that things move pretty quickly. The other very helpful contact is Richard Kirwan, Head of Complaints, again he seems able to get people to do things and his email address is ..... richard.kirwan@capita.co.uk ..... a polite email explaining the situation and delays has resulted in pensions getting sorted as you'll see from the other thread, hope it works for you too.

26 Dec 2018, 20:55

Thanks for the replies, mums still waiting for a response from them. Apparently they sent the forms out 2nd class 9 days after I phoned them. Funny how I've had replies from all the other places I've had to deal with (Bank, Post office card A/C, water, sewerage, electric, council etc) who I contacted either on the same day or even 3 days later in two cases)I will ring again tomorrow if it doesn't arrive and also ping off an email saying how hacked off I am with them. They obviously couldn't run the preverbial in a brewery :d'oh! .

Regards
Mark

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1