ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR ARRANGEMENTS 2017/18 INCLUDING PAY ARRANGEMENTS... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : SEVERE WEATHER THREADS : UPDATED 2017... HERE

Funeral Expenses

09 Oct 2017, 21:45

Good Evening All,

My brother and myself used to work for the Royal Mail a long time ago both paid into the pension scheme and wanted to check a few things below:

My Brother passed away of cancer end of April he was (45), he had a pension section C and I wanted to check as I paid for the funeral in which I had to borrow for that has left me in debt and was wondering if this can be deducted from the lump sum payment his wife may get?

Hope some one can help.

Kind Regards

Pablo

Funeral Expenses

10 Oct 2017, 04:15

Sorry for your loss.

As far as I’m aware there is no specific payment for funeral expenses made by RM pensions.

However it may be possible to claim a payment from the government, depending on your circumstances. This gives more info: https://www.gov.uk/funeral-payments/eligibility

Information on what benefits are payable from RM are in the relevant guide here: https://www.royalmailpensionplan.co.uk/ ... an/library

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Funeral Expenses

10 Oct 2017, 17:52

All pension benefits are written under a discretionary trust. It will be the decision of the Trustees to whom any benefits within the Section C Scheme can be paid. It will depend on whether your brother completed a nomination form. This is a form that would state your brothers wishes in the event of his death. It is not a legal document to which the Trustees have to abide by. However the Trustees will use this to guide them in their decision. If there is no nomination form then the Trustees will make a decision based on investigations in to who is most dependant on the untimely death of your brother. Also note that the pension funds do not form part of your brothers estate and do not need to be included in any application for probate. If there is a will the executors do not have to take this money in to account when distributing any of your brothers assets.
Please accept my condolences for your brothers death.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1