ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

pension contribution on sabbatical

04 Sep 2017, 11:57

Hi, I am currently on a sabbatical of two years that will take me to my 60 th birthday, Can I pay my pension contributions ? and if so do I have to resume work to do so.

pension contribution on sabbatical

04 Sep 2017, 16:25

Assuming you're in the RMPP, this is taken from the plan guide available for all to read on the pensions website:

What happens if I am absent from work?

Unpaid absence

If you have a period of unpaid absence you may, on your return to reckonable service, pay to the RMPP all contributions (both your own and the Company’s) that were due during your absence, based on the contributory pay you would have received had you not been absent. Your unpaid absence will then be treated as reckonable service – that is, you will be credited in the RMPP with the same benefits that you would have earned if you had been employed as normal during that time.

If you are on temporary loan to another employer, you can, with the consent of the Trustee, similarly pay to the RMPP all contributions (both your own and
the Company’s) during the loan, so that the period of the loan is treated as reckonable service. If your temporary employer pays the employer contributions, you would only need to pay your own contributions.

Family leave (maternity, paternity and adoption leave)

Pension contributions are not affected during paid or statutory family leave. This means that both you and the Company will continue to pay contributions to the RMPP, although your contributions will be based on the actual pay you receive.

Territorial Army – reservists called up for duty

Reservists can either continue to contribute to the RMPP or choose to join the Armed Forces’ Pension Scheme. If you continue to contribute to the RMPP,
your contributions can be paid from your military salary. Another option may be for you and your employer to pay contributions (at a rate certified by the
Actuary) when you return to reckonable service. You would have to pay your contributions on your return. In this case, you will be credited in the RMPP with
the same benefits that you would have earned if you had been employed as normal instead of being on military duty.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1