not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Breaks query

14 Oct 2020, 22:33

Was told tonight by a line manager (unsure whether union or not, but felt like it) that there is a legal obligation to take 30mins break in a 3hr shift. Can anyone confirm or deny this and point me to appropriate legislation, and confirm whether this is based on union agreements or law?

Breaks query

15 Oct 2020, 06:55

petaQ wrote:Was told tonight by a line manager (unsure whether union or not, but felt like it) that there is a legal obligation to take 30mins break in a 3hr shift. Can anyone confirm or deny this and point me to appropriate legislation, and confirm whether this is based on union agreements or law?

It's only a 10mins break for a 3hr shift:

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 36&t=22175

Breaks query

15 Oct 2020, 08:26

If you get the chance to take paid 30 min break in a 3 hour shift bite their hands off at the chance.

Breaks query

15 Oct 2020, 08:47

petaQ wrote:Was told tonight by a line manager (unsure whether union or not, but felt like it) that there is a legal obligation to take 30mins break in a 3hr shift. Can anyone confirm or deny this and point me to appropriate legislation, and confirm whether this is based on union agreements or law?

Happy days 30min break for a 3hr shift :nana

Breaks query

15 Oct 2020, 09:11

No, your manager has misunderstood a variety of things.

Misunderstanding 1 - That you are entitled to a 30-minute break.
In fact its 10 minutes Image

Misunderstanding 2 - Legal obligation on you to take a break.
Incorrect. You have a contractual right to a break as described above, but there is no legal obligation (except for certain reasons) on you to actually take them.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend refusing a break.

Misunderstanding 3 - Statutory Breaks are applicable only if you are expected to work more than 6 hours
Workers have the right to one uninterrupted 20-minute rest break during their working day if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break.
https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

Misunderstanding 4 - The difference between statutory and contractual rights. Neither form of break obliges you to take the break (but please do), but it does impose certain obligations on the employer and how as an employee you proceed if they refuse you those rights.

Breaks query

15 Oct 2020, 11:16

Thanks for that, exactly as I suspected re 6h/20 and no obligation. Certainly not going to thumb my nose at management, I'm new and I don't wanna make waves. I understand breaks are unpaid though I could be wrong. I'll look at the collective agreements that are part of my contract since that might explain it further.

Breaks query

Yesterday, 12:09

Funny you should mention 30 minutes because a colleague who works for Angard (non AWR) has had 30 minutes deducted from 3 hour shifts as Angard reckon he should be taking a 30 minute break!! In practice the staff get 15 minutes at our Mail Centre.

Breaks query

Yesterday, 16:46

Mail Centres/RDC's differ.

Rmtv special 7th May 2018 Process Q&A.

Simon Barker, UK process operations Director, gave the following response to a question relating to meal relief and the SWW.
“In the way forward agreement, we have commitments of between five and seven hours, people get 30 minutes. Then between seven and eight hours 59 minutes they get 40 minute breaks and that will continue to be honoured.
Within the mail centres and RDCs we’ve Built in a relaxation allowance – its roughly 13 per cent but does change depending on the nature of the job…...”

A reply from Simon Barker's office stated;

“As you are aware I have sought assistance from our HR/People Team and they have advised that the relaxation allowance has always been built into the standard times measured to carry out indoor activity, generally at a level of around 11 – 13% depending on the activity being carried out i.e. lifting weight / standing etc ..."

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1