not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

What are the rules on managers working?

23 Aug 2020, 23:30

Hi

At my mail centre, suddenly I've seen a lot of managers across all shift patterns working e.g. loading lorries, portering, sorting mail, working fsm / imps etc
What are the rules (if any) on managers working?

Cheers

24 Aug 2020, 14:39

if its anything like delivery, if they havent got enough staff/ theres too much to complete then managers are expected to get it all clear.

24 Aug 2020, 20:25

paulus103 wrote:Hi

At my mail centre, suddenly I've seen a lot of managers across all shift patterns working e.g. loading lorries, portering, sorting mail, working fsm / imps etc
What are the rules (if any) on managers working?

Cheers

Suddenly? It's been going on for years during busy periods or when severely short staffed which I presume they are at the moment.

24 Aug 2020, 20:32

Same in the DO, the most bone idle bullshit merchant is all hands to the decks now that there's the threat of redundancy hanging over them.

25 Aug 2020, 01:17

In the pit mail centre I work in there is a stragtegic involvement meeting notes poster on the union notice board that says managers should not work. I like this because it looks like they are here for no reason, they are of little value. Take a look at the first few hours of the shift. A couple sitting down because standing is too difficult, one bloke letting the drugs get out of his system, a few obsessed with their phones, more just missing, could even be out of the building. Union have been going on about this for about three years with Mail Centre Managers full support but his juniors just ignore him. The argument is that if all managers stopped working then I think it adds up to another two or three full time jobs per shift. Off point but why do these useful idiots never tell you when someone has had covid 19. Why keep it a secret.

25 Aug 2020, 07:13

I agree Teesdale, The have your say poster notes in our place highlight this problem too.

Managers are only legitimately allow to perform OPG work if.. and that is a supposed big IF it is time critical, for example despatch when the shift is finishing or the need to catch a vehicle.

If a manager is performing OPG work then you should look at it a couple of ways,
1. If they are performing OPG work then they are not doing their own work which most importantly is supervising and ensuring the health and safety of staff.
2. Performance / quality - how can they monitor and observe if they are stuck in a letter / flats frame, DBF or bullring.

This list is not exhaustive but if they don't have they managerial workload to keep them busy then there is no need for them. Why do they need so many in relation to staff numbers?

It is like everything in Royal Mail though, they just do as they want until challenged then they stop it for a short period but revert back to default mode of doing it anyway

25 Aug 2020, 23:12

Sir Henry wrote:Same in the DO, the most bone idle bullshit merchant is all hands to the decks now that there's the threat of redundancy hanging over them.

Bingo.

You get the sense that some managers have just discovered what 95% of folks elsewhere have known since birth. Better to at least look busy than to stand around chatting.

14 Sep 2020, 08:23

At one mail centre I have worked at, the staff would threaten to strike/down tools if a manager was seen just pushing a York. Yet at another centre the managers jump in bull rings, load vans etc all the time, even if it’s not particularly busy. Even the Head of Site sorts letters and flats when they are short staffed. I can see why there are objections - staff potentially missing out on an overtime shift because a manager is doing that duty, but personally I like to see the managers getting their hands dirty!!

14 Sep 2020, 23:29

At the moment it is everybody apart from the plant manager and a few admin staff who are working.
I know the union had a major falling out with a previous plant manager but at the moment they aren't saying a word

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1