not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

How realistic is for a postman to become a class 2 driver

13 Apr 2020, 16:59

Hi,

I have been an indoor postman in a mail centre for about 20 years, and I would like a change of career.
I have a normal car driving license. How realistic would be to become a truck driver (class 2?).
Does the RM offer driving courses, or do I have to get my own class 2 license in a driving school ?
If i get my license in a driving school, would I start driving trucks straight away ? If not, how long would it take ?
Could I drive on O/T while still working as a postman and waiting for a permanent driving position ?
How much is the pay ?

Thanks.

13 Apr 2020, 18:03

I have no idea if RM do any training.

If you have a normal license, you will need a provisional entitlement for the class you aim to drive (and learn in). This applies even with grandfather rights and involves a form from you, and one from a doctor (usually with an appointment at said doctor). I wouldn't do this until you know your options:

You could easily do it yourself (through a training school), or make enquiries through RM, or both. Get information on what either/or require before you do anything.

Professional driving requires a CPC as well as the license. This needs maintaining at 5 year intervals.

If you do fund it yourself through a training facility, you can drive as soon as you have license, CPC, and job (all of them).

You could drive while working as postman, however professional drivers are subject to rules limiting their work driving time. You would, at least, need to declare your driving time as a postie. How much that would affect what work you get depends on what work you get.

Pay depends what work you get. Can be good, can be crap.
Sitting on your backside for long periods will probably come as a shock to you too (no matter how inviting it sounds while your feet are aching). It may suit, but it may not.

15 Apr 2020, 21:33

kazordoon wrote:Hi,

I have been an indoor postman in a mail centre for about 20 years, and I would like a change of career.
I have a normal car driving license. How realistic would be to become a truck driver (class 2?).
Does the RM offer driving courses, or do I have to get my own class 2 license in a driving school ?
If i get my license in a driving school, would I start driving trucks straight away ? If not, how long would it take ?
Could I drive on O/T while still working as a postman and waiting for a permanent driving position ?
How much is the pay ?

Thanks.

distribution driver here. RM haven`t paid for training in our area for at least five years. All our recent new drivers have paid for their own training. As well as a class 2 licence, you would need to do the driver CPC course and possibly get your own digital tachograph card. you`re looking at £1500-£2000 all in.

once qualified, there`s nothing to stop you asking about overtime, but there`s also no guarantee its available to you. my advice is speak to the distribution manager before you lay out any cash. having said that, class 2 drivers are in short supply as the older ones start to retire and grandfather rights are no longer a thing. there will be many opportunities outside of RM, but generally won`t be as well paid.

as for vacancies, this is how we work it. vacant duty ( lets say class 2) is advertised and is available to employees in the following order.
1) current class 2 drivers
2) other distribution drivers
3) collection (light van) drivers
4) processing/delivery staff

generally speaking, newcomers will get a part time vacancy as others have moved upwards hours wise.

current pay is approx £28000.

hope this helps.

16 Apr 2020, 14:01

I have a class 1 licence been with the company over 2years as a postman been trying since I joined to get on the lorries but every time I apply when 1 comes up the job gets pulled an I find out it went to a friend of a friend who’s already on the wagons so unless you know somebody Respected in the driving seat or transport office your chances are slim

17 Apr 2020, 21:54

Rob2081 wrote:I have a class 1 licence been with the company over 2years as a postman been trying since I joined to get on the lorries but every time I apply when 1 comes up the job gets pulled an I find out it went to a friend of a friend who’s already on the wagons so unless you know somebody Respected in the driving seat or transport office your chances are slim

As I stated in my reply to the OP, there's a pecking order for vacancies.
As a postman, you're bottom of the list. Your best option is to try move up the ladder, so to speak,apply for light van collection duties so that you are at least working in the same building. Then apply for any MGV duties that become available. You'll probably have to take a part time duty everytime you move to a different section.
There are no short cuts, and knowing the distribution gaffer won't get you in there any quicker.

17 Apr 2020, 22:01

Have you had a chat with the Distribution managers on each shift?

03 May 2020, 11:27

In relation to getting your LGV 1 or 2 there is 5 modules you need to pass. First of all apply to the DVLA for a LGV medical form. This will be a D2 and a D4. D4 is the medical form which you need to take to the doctor to fill in. Not to sure about the eye test weather they do them or at an optician. When that comes back you will have to Mod1 the hazard perception and theory test. Mod 2 is a case study test. This is the first part of the CPC. Both done at the theory test centre. Mod 3 Class 2 driving test. This is done by a LGV driver training and a test by an examiner. Mod 4 Show me tell me by an examiner. This can be incorporated in to the driving test. Mod 5 LGV 1 training and test. This will give you the CPC and the license required to drive artics. If you already have the CPC skip mods 2 and 4 as you have got the CPC. Hope this helps. Sounds complicated but if you follow the steps it is fairly straight forward. Cost is in the region of about £3000 from start to finish. It is fairly realistic that class 2 drivers are mainly at big delivery offices without a VOC. With an ageing workforce in Network I can see vacancies in the function in the near future. With the current industrial situation I find it hard if RM are going to do any training at the moment.

07 May 2020, 02:17

ihatedogs wrote:
kazordoon wrote:Hi,

How much is the pay ?

Thanks.

distribution driver here. RM haven`t paid for training in our area for at least five years. All our recent new drivers have paid for their own training. As well as a class 2 licence, you would need to do the driver CPC course and possibly get your own digital tachograph card. you`re looking at £1500-£2000 all in.

once qualified, there`s nothing to stop you asking about overtime, but there`s also no guarantee its available to you. my advice is speak to the distribution manager before you lay out any cash. having said that, class 2 drivers are in short supply as the older ones start to retire and grandfather rights are no longer a thing. there will be many opportunities outside of RM, but generally won`t be as well paid.

as for vacancies, this is how we work it. vacant duty ( lets say class 2) is advertised and is available to employees in the following order.
1) current class 2 drivers
2) other distribution drivers
3) collection (light van) drivers
4) processing/delivery staff

generally speaking, newcomers will get a part time vacancy as others have moved upwards hours wise.

current pay is approx £28000.

hope this helps.

RM used to have lists and they trained most of the drivers themselves. Another good perk that the union has let go off without a fight. You would be better to invest in yourself mate but go online as there are government sponsored courses (even if your working full time). It dependant on your postcode and local development agency. There's loads of money out there it's just that they don't advertise it as they would rather put new Windows and heating systems into schools and homes that they know are earmarked for demolition 18/24 months later. Glasgow city council, you shower of s..t.

07 May 2020, 22:28

ihatedogs wrote:
Rob2081 wrote:I have a class 1 licence been with the company over 2years as a postman been trying since I joined to get on the lorries but every time I apply when 1 comes up the job gets pulled an I find out it went to a friend of a friend who’s already on the wagons so unless you know somebody Respected in the driving seat or transport office your chances are slim

As a postman, you're bottom of the list. Your best option is to try move up the ladder, so to speak,apply for light van collection duties so that you are at least working in the same building. Then apply for any MGV duties that become available. You'll probably have to take a part time duty everytime you move to a different section.
There are no short cuts, and knowing the distribution gaffer won't get you in there any quicker.

If you are a postman who holds a class 1, you are not bottom of the list. Contact your local VOC and explain what you have and what you want. Also contact the reps at the local VOC, it doesn't hurt trying this way. I think it's all done online now, but contact them first.
A less senior postman with a class 1 outranks a more senior with a class 2.
If there are vacancies online apply. The only thing you'll need to do is get an induction and pass it.

08 May 2020, 19:07

sweepster70 wrote:
ihatedogs wrote:

If you are a postman who holds a class 1, you are not bottom of the list. Contact your local VOC and explain what you have and what you want. Also contact the reps at the local VOC, it doesn't hurt trying this way. I think it's all done online now, but contact them first.
If there are vacancies online apply. The only thing you'll need to do is get an induction and pass it.

That is most definitly NOT the case round here. Seniority is the only measure, regardless of whether you even have an HGV licence.

09 May 2020, 10:32

sweepster70 wrote:
ihatedogs wrote:

You are both correct and incorrect. If you are a delivery postie with a class one licence you will supercede anyone who is not suitably qualified. However, if a number of applicants have a class one licence then the delivery postie is indeed bottom of the pile.
Another thing to note is that, as duties are advertised internally first, then it may never actually reach the delivery postie if there are sufficient qualified drivers already within distribution.

Just a final note, this is applicable in my area. It's possible other distribution units use open advertising, although I suspect that goes against current agreements.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1