not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

HGV transfer

09 Jan 2020, 14:15

Any advice or suggestions how to go about transfering from delivery to HGV? I'm in Warrington so pretty well placed for it but everyone I try to speak to can't or won't point me in the right direction.

I have class 1, CPC and tacho. Been in delivery for 8 years.

Thanks in advance.

HGV transfer

10 Jan 2020, 01:41

Get in contact with your nearest VOC (vehicle operations centre) ask to speak to the distribution manager of drop him an email, explaining your circumstances ect. Also ask about doing overtime in your days off from your DO and take it from their. Also have you contacted HR about putting your name down for temp placements ie during summer leave when they find it harder to cover a vehicle 318 and can just lapse a walk. RM are the best paid in the UK for class 1 driving for the 36.5 hrs per week, it is about £37,000 per year but with shift allowance and some docket the average is £44,000 pre deductions. Go for it mate and like you say you are in quite a good area for uptake and also the summer leave period and route changes will just be getting sorted in the next several weeks. Good luck. :thumbup

HGV transfer

10 Jan 2020, 16:03

Navalron wrote:Get in contact with your nearest VOC (vehicle operations centre) ask to speak to the distribution manager of drop him an email, explaining your circumstances ect. Also ask about doing overtime in your days off from your DO and take it from their. Also have you contacted HR about putting your name down for temp placements ie during summer leave when they find it harder to cover a vehicle 318 and can just lapse a walk. RM are the best paid in the UK for class 1 driving for the 36.5 hrs per week, it is about £37,000 per year but with shift allowance and some docket the average is £44,000 pre deductions. Go for it mate and like you say you are in quite a good area for uptake and also the summer leave period and route changes will just be getting sorted in the next several weeks. Good luck. :thumbup

Thanks a lot for this. I've tried to go through my DOM about doing OT up there on days off. Also spoke to union rep and other managers. I have a first name of the person who could potentially help but I'm not convinced he even exists and no way to contact him. Plus theres always a reason why they can't call him, or he's busy, or most often on leave...

There are others with more seniority than me at my DO who are being kept hanging on a string but they're FT and want a permanent transfer. I'd be happy with OT for now . Just want my foot in the door.

Pretty sure Mill Lane is where I'd need to go but I can't just walk up to the security barriers asking to speak to the transport manager whose name I don't know!

Felt so full of enthusiasm a couple of months ago and its
Disappearing by the day :(

HGV transfer

10 Jan 2020, 20:27

Could you visit your local mail centre (in your uniform) and collar a HGV driver? They will probably be able to give you a name and phone number.

HGV transfer

12 Jan 2020, 09:51

Ask to speak to john folkes he is the HGV work place coach but with eight years service you will get all the crap duty's and never get any where on the seniority list the money may sound good but the hours are long with Saturdays and Sunday working, your life is not your own good look.

HGV transfer

12 Jan 2020, 23:23

glangors1 wrote:Ask to speak to john folkes he is the HGV work place coach but with eight years service you will get all the crap duty's and never get any where on the seniority list the money may sound good but the hours are long with Saturdays and Sunday working, your life is not your own good look.

Yes but the guys looking for a foot in the door. That's exactly what I did. I worked in delivery in a Glasgow DO and was doing docket at the mail centre driving/stunting at the weekends. Granted that was in the days of sat/Sun premium and double time but if you want something had enough you will stick it. Even the 7.5 tonners wages start at £518 basic per week, pro rata for part time of course. But that's exactly how I managed to end up a central fleet driver, is class 1,2 and 7.5. Go for it mate.

HGV transfer

13 Jan 2020, 11:50

Thanks all.

Does John Folkes work out of the Warrington office then?

As Navalron says, I'm just looking for a way in. I don't mind being at the bottom of the pile - you gotta start somewhere and everyone else will retire eventually! If by cr@P shifts you mean nights, that's what I want as it works for my family set up. I want to make a career out of this and from what everybody has said (and from what I can see) RM are the best in the industry. Manchester is also commutable and I've seen a class 2 job there on Success Factors but my application was rejected because it was a 6 month contract and apparently you cant apply for them if you're permanent.

Really appreciate all the advice.

HGV transfer

20 Jan 2020, 09:53

if you can get a name then the email is firstname.surname@royalmail.com
when i got my transfer to our local MC i got it sorted by getting contact details and then going and introducing myself in person. also get in touch with the distribution staff resourcing for overtime as thats usually the best way to get a foot in the door.

edited to add, you`ll need a changeover (short driving test) before you can drive mgv vehicles. there`ll be someone at the MC whose job it is to arrange that.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1