not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Scanning Of 2c Outward Parcels

11 Sep 2019, 15:57

Do you scan your outward 2c packets on a daily basis using the finger scanners provided or like us do you not bother?
Also can someone please clarify if this should now be mandatory?

12 Sep 2019, 04:04

its mandatory so you must do it with the scanners

12 Sep 2019, 07:26

redheadedwoman wrote:Do you scan your outward 2c packets on a daily basis using the finger scanners provided or like us do you not bother?
Also can someone please clarify if this should now be mandatory?

If an item contains a 2D barcode then it's mandatory for an MC to give a 1st scan. The 2nd scan will be on delivery.

12 Sep 2019, 14:09

Thanks I thought as much :Very Happy
After speaking with our line manager and the shift manager we will be Scanning from next week :dance
Should be fun :Very Happy

13 Sep 2019, 09:20

Better late than never.

30 Sep 2019, 07:25

At our RDC we finger scan high volumes of tracked/untracked 48 to york & conveyor belt.
Management request each hour the number of individual items scanned be recorded on an A4 sheet provided, which includes a box to write your name.

According to the RM & CWU NATIONAL AGREEMENT COVERING THE USE OF PDA OUTDOOR ACTUALS
Employee Engagement
"This new technology is not being introduced to track individuals or to be used for individual performance management and therefore it is confirmed that the data generated will not be used for this."

Would it be the same for indoor & could the system being used at our RDC be considered as a form of individual performance management.

30 Sep 2019, 09:01

rogersh wrote:
Would it be the same for indoor & could the system being used at our RDC be considered as a form of individual performance management.

It certainly sounds like it. Why else would they need hourly information?

06 Oct 2019, 19:25

Loads of 2c outward packets can't be scanned.

One time I had 20 minutes on the conveyor where no outward 2c packet was barcoded. Would need these to be counted in some way to monitor individual performance. We also record how many sleeves are proccesed but thats as we are doing late shift work on nights.

06 Oct 2019, 22:06

ennabee wrote:Loads of 2c outward packets can't be scanned.

One time I had 20 minutes on the conveyor where no outward 2c packet was barcoded. Would need these to be counted in some way to monitor individual performance. We also record how many sleeves are proccesed but thats as we are doing late shift work on nights.

Even excluding the Chinese mail, there's loads of packets both 1C and 2C that don't have any barcode on them. There's an increasing number of packets that have got 2D barcodes on them, with RM's 5 year plan I'm guessing that they intend on all parcels (except maybe the ones from abroad) to have 2D barcodes on them

07 Oct 2019, 08:40

ennabee wrote:Loads of 2c outward packets can't be scanned.

Which is why the PSM design had to be changed. The original design was that they wouldn't need to read addresses as they would just sort off the barcodes but as so few parcels contain barcodes then an AI connection was required.

08 Oct 2019, 18:56

Occasionally do some scanning of tracked 24/48 parcels at our place and every hour a manager comes round to write down how many we’ve processed, there’s a target number to hit, I forget what it is now but it can be reached pretty easily as long as you’re just scanning constantly and not having to change yorks, push work out, bring work in, etc.

08 Oct 2019, 21:11

26l34 wrote:Occasionally do some scanning of tracked 24/48 parcels at our place and every hour a manager comes round to write down how many we’ve processed, there’s a target number to hit, I forget what it is now but it can be reached pretty easily as long as you’re just scanning constantly and not having to change yorks, push work out, bring work in, etc.

Interesting you say it (target) can be reached pretty easily but you forget the target number. Please could you try to recall or find out the number p/h. 800 perhaps?
Do you believe this is individual performance management?

09 Oct 2019, 05:51

rogersh wrote:
26l34 wrote:Occasionally do some scanning of tracked 24/48 parcels at our place and every hour a manager comes round to write down how many we’ve processed, there’s a target number to hit, I forget what it is now but it can be reached pretty easily as long as you’re just scanning constantly and not having to change yorks, push work out, bring work in, etc.

Interesting you say it (target) can be reached pretty easily but you forget the target number. Please could you try to recall or find out the number p/h. 800 perhaps?
Do you believe this is individual performance management?

Whatever the target number there's going to be 2 different ones, one for large and another for small

09 Oct 2019, 14:18

Yeah, the larger tracked stuff is separated and sorted separately, 2/3 people scan those and chuck them down roller conveyors to be sorted by 4-6 people at the bottom, about 450 items an hour seems to be enough to keep them happy, on the smaller stuff I’m not sure, will try to remember next time I’m doing it, as a casual I’ll only scan 2 or 3 times a month. I thought at first they just kept running totals to measure how much mail was being processed relative to what had been forecast but I noticed they note down items per hour next to our names so I guess there’s an element of performance evaluation going on?

09 Oct 2019, 18:41

26l34 wrote:Yeah, the larger tracked stuff is separated and sorted separately, 2/3 people scan those and chuck them down roller conveyors to be sorted by 4-6 people at the bottom, about 450 items an hour seems to be enough to keep them happy, on the smaller stuff I’m not sure, will try to remember next time I’m doing it, as a casual I’ll only scan 2 or 3 times a month. I thought at first they just kept running totals to measure how much mail was being processed relative to what had been forecast but I noticed they note down items per hour next to our names so I guess there’s an element of performance evaluation going on?

We don't use conveyors for our Tracked (don't think we'd have the room for it to be viable to use conveyors for Tracked)

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1