not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Relay Driver job - Any good?

16 May 2019, 21:24

So I've been offered an interview for a Relay driver, the description says: "30 Hours Per Week Part time Monday to Friday, various shifts starting between 11.00am to 14.00pm and finishing between 18.00pm to 20.00pm. As a Delivery Driver your day will typically start at 04:00 – 12:30, a collection driver 13.00 – 21.30."

Personally, I would prefer to do the Collections role, since 4am is too early of a start for me. What does the collections job entail? Would going from a Postie to this role be beneficial, or just jumping from a hot pan into another one?

Thanks!

18 May 2019, 12:24

Go for it the very fact that you are thinking about it shows you are not happy in your job plus you can tell us all about it if you get the job.

18 May 2019, 14:30

Collections are quite intensive with a strong focus on security. Typically you will be collecting from Banks and Government Agencies with the odd retail customer. Most collections are "out of office hours" so you will hold keys and alarm codes - lose a key and lose your job!!! Depending on the location you could have up to 25 collection points to be completed in a 3 hour window and the pressure is on to return to the local hub on time, as feeder departures are extremely tight.
As a new starter you would be almost certainly used as a reserve so expect to work all sort of hours - unless you can get a firm commitment to assign you to collection duties only I would think again, unless you are prepared for some early starts.
The one positive, although I work permanent nights on a feeder run, I never see a manager more than once a year :nana

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1