ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Regular bulk missorts query

28 Aug 2017, 22:18

Can anyone shed some light on the following issue?

I work in a DO and am responsible for the sorting and traying up of the offices missorts each day.

We have quite a few large companies in our area who regularly post out large amounts of catalogues and other stuff.
All these items have a return address on the face of the item. Usually written in one line of very small text on the edge of the item. Sometimes on a small label in the left hand corner on the face of the item.
All the items have the actually address they are going to in much larger text in the centre of the item.

Yet every item sent by these companies comes back through our DO before going anywhere else.
My DOM has taken pictures of the items and spoken to various people at the local MC(Jubilee) and yet it still goes on.
We're talking hundreds of items a week.

Any idea why and how (if possible) we can do something about it.

While i'm here we also get loads of stuff where the item has been sorted to us because the address contains our area name - but nothing else, even the postcode, has anything to do with us.
That may make some small sense to somebody. But, why do we also get loads of items that are sorted to us by postcode and nothing else?

Not having a pop at anyone just trying to learn why these things happen.
Cheers for any input.

28 Aug 2017, 23:13

Are they large letters? It might be down to how the FSMs scan an item looking for the address, maybe it's seeing the return address first and sending it there

29 Aug 2017, 07:34

No nowhere near A4 size even and not thick either.

29 Aug 2017, 10:01

Mezza wrote:Can anyone shed some light on the following issue?

I work in a DO and am responsible for the sorting and traying up of the offices missorts each day.

We have quite a few large companies in our area who regularly post out large amounts of catalogues and other stuff.
All these items have a return address on the face of the item. Usually written in one line of very small text on the edge of the item. Sometimes on a small label in the left hand corner on the face of the item.
All the items have the actually address they are going to in much larger text in the centre of the item.

Yet every item sent by these companies comes back through our DO before going anywhere else.
My DOM has taken pictures of the items and spoken to various people at the local MC(Jubilee) and yet it still goes on.
We're talking hundreds of items a week.

Any idea why and how (if possible) we can do something about it.

Even if not A4 sized, generally if a FSM can process an item where an iLSM or IMP can't it'll get run through the FSM, I think partly to get their mech utilization figures up
Mezza wrote:While i'm here we also get loads of stuff where the item has been sorted to us because the address contains our area name - but nothing else, even the postcode, has anything to do with us.
That may make some small sense to somebody. But, why do we also get loads of items that are sorted to us by postcode and nothing else?

Not having a pop at anyone just trying to learn why these things happen.
Cheers for any input.

Mech or manual?

30 Aug 2017, 19:31

Don't know how reliable flat sorting machines are but could be Missorting a percentage of them,or if they had mail marks on them(the little pixelated squares) then these may be the wrong ones?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1