ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

Being forced to work night shifts

19 Jun 2017, 10:42

I'm a single dad of two, and have been working day shifts for the past two years. I have now been told (and the union "the bloody union") have agreeed this change. That a reshuffle is happening where I and many others have been given a choic of different shifts to work on the night shift. As a single dad I simply cannot adhere to this and feel like they know this, and are trying to get people to "quit". Can I be forced to work nights?

19 Jun 2017, 15:29

Bump

20 Jun 2017, 17:41

JohnWilliams1917 wrote:I'm a single dad of two, and have been working day shifts for the past two years. I have now been told (and the union "the bloody union") have agreeed this change. That a reshuffle is happening where I and many others have been given a choic of different shifts to work on the night shift. As a single dad I simply cannot adhere to this and feel like they know this, and are trying to get people to "quit". Can I be forced to work nights?

Contact ACAS for info, also submit a flexible working application..

22 Jun 2017, 17:38

As above fill out a flexible working form, if there are any day shifts left then they can accommodate you, and that day duty should be ring fenced for you, superceding seniority.

also if your duty has been unchanged during a revision, under they way forward agreement, you do not have to put in the so called pot for a resign.

10 Jul 2017, 18:47

JohnWilliams1917 wrote:I'm a single dad of two, and have been working day shifts for the past two years. I have now been told (and the union "the bloody union") have agreeed this change. That a reshuffle is happening where I and many others have been given a choic of different shifts to work on the night shift. As a single dad I simply cannot adhere to this and feel like they know this, and are trying to get people to "quit". Can I be forced to work nights?

No you cannot be forced to work nights as your home environment could be effected and RM should be able to accommodate you with flexible hours/ family friendly hours. It is a legal obligation on behalf of the employer to consider your request for family friendly hours although they would have to put up a strong case for refusal such as operational needs. It would be unrealistic to leave your two children at home unattended while you are at work which is illegal then a refusal to work family friendly hours would be virtually impossible.

18 Jul 2017, 02:32

You cannot be forced to work nights full stop, ask you line manager for a night shift health assessment form and then fill it in accordingly, if it's likely your health could affected by working nights the business has a legal obligation to find you an
Alternative shift.
I was the night shift manager at Portsmouth before it shut and did this on a number of occassions for people who had difficulty working nights, don't rely on your Union they invariably won't help you.

04 Sep 2017, 16:01

http://www2.cipd.co.uk/pm/peoplemanagem ... 2-000.aspx

05 Sep 2017, 10:50

See your local CWU rep and they will help you in filling out application forms for Flexible Working request i.e. family friendly.
My local rep has helped me and other colleagues do this successfully I might add, so don't give up.

05 Sep 2017, 10:58

Thebag wrote:You cannot be forced to work nights full stop, ask you line manager for a night shift health assessment form and then fill it in accordingly, if it's likely your health could affected by working nights the business has a legal obligation to find you an
Alternative shift.
I was the night shift manager at Portsmouth before it shut and did this on a number of occasions for people who had difficulty working nights, don't rely on your Union they invariably won't help you.

Don't rely on your Union they invariably won't help you, is a blatant lie.
Just approach local or area CWU rep for help you can also phone the CWU Branch office.
More management negative propaganda when both myself and colleagues have received help from CWU reps and Branch routinely.

06 Sep 2017, 01:43

I doubt very much the CWU would give any assistance otherwise they would have done so now and you would not need to resort to this forum for help, you can't rely on unions you have to use the law.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1