not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

30 Sep 2013, 16:00

rainbowwarrior72 wrote:There are rumours coming out of Pompey about a big MC being built somewhere up the A31 the big question whats the long term future of Dorset MC?

I would check the planning dept and see if Royal Mail has purchased any land in the area. Otherwise you know how rumours start these days.

30 Sep 2013, 16:16

If you read the prospectus there will be 37 MCs by 2016 and this means no further closures other than those already announced. There are always lots of rumours re MCs but closures and changes require huge investment and the closure programme has lasted for years. Probably likely that the smaller MCs will lose their 2nd class to larger ones.

01 Oct 2013, 15:00

cloherty1976 wrote:
rainbowwarrior72 wrote:There are rumours coming out of Pompey about a big MC being built somewhere up the A31 the big question whats the long term future of Dorset MC?

I would check the planning dept and see if Royal Mail has purchased any land in the area. Otherwise you know how rumours start these days.

Sorry,can't see that at all.If PO/SO/BH MC's were all to shut a "super MC" on the A31 would be unlikely.Any new MC would be more central (M27/M3),which are also much better roads than the A31 which is little more than a dual carridgeway in most places,and runs through the NewForest.

03 Oct 2013, 19:52

How about building a MC superhub at Bournemouth airport, where there is already a hub for uk airmail?

05 Oct 2013, 19:01

Anyone have a list of MCs
that only handle 1st class?

11 Oct 2013, 09:45

Closure of Leicester Mail Centre

The final move in the relocation of processing for the LE postcode area takes place on Monday 14th October, when the processing of inward mail - that's mail posted in other parts of the country for delivery to addresses in the LE postcode area - moves from the Leicester Mail Centre in Centurian Way, to the South Midlands Mail Centre Swan Valley, Northampton.

Outward posted mail is already being processed at South Midlands Mail Centre, so recipients of mail from the LE postcode area, may already have noticed an unfamiliar postmark on their standard mail.

19 Oct 2013, 18:28

Was talking to a Network driver last night re the selling of Londons MCs and he seemed to think that The Mount being sold off is a red herring due to the fact that they spent so much on it so far and because of the O Licence capacity it would cause problems operationally if they did sell the Undercroft and other bits also he said that the underground railway may be revamped and turned into a tourist attraction. Considering that they want to pedestianise Oxford St long term that underground railway could be still a money spinner ie transporting stuff

20 Oct 2013, 03:25

rainbowwarrior72 wrote:Was talking to a Network driver last night re the selling of Londons MCs and he seemed to think that The Mount being sold off is a red herring due to the fact that they spent so much on it so far and because of the O Licence capacity it would cause problems operationally if they did sell the Undercroft and other bits also he said that the underground railway may be revamped and turned into a tourist attraction. Considering that they want to pedestianise Oxford St long term that underground railway could be still a money spinner ie transporting stuff

Yes, there's a planning application in for the underground mail railway at Mount Pleasant but I doubt if there will ever be public access to it from any of the other half dozen stations.

16 Jan 2014, 22:30

It's been a while.. but I'm back again! :)

Is this list still of use? Probably outdated by now..

One thing I do notice is that Doncaster MC was due to close in 2012/13, but it looks to be still fully functional.

16 Jan 2014, 23:55

Needs updating but according to the bosses re closures we are on the home straight now I think you'll have to update in future after 2016 just reshuffling of post codes as work may moved in and out of surviving MCs

25 Jan 2014, 18:39

Just wondering does each mail centre send a truck out to remaining mail centres i.e. 50 trucks hit the road at night from each mail mail centre to every other one ?

25 Jan 2014, 19:11

J4ck100 wrote:Just wondering does each mail centre send a truck out to remaining mail centres i.e. 50 trucks hit the road at night from each mail mail centre to every other one ?

not that simple unfortunately, there are also distribution centres with will gather the mail up from a wider area of mail centres then channel the mail to another distribution centre and then back out to mail centres, there is also aircraft used, around 20 flights per night and mail also goes by train as well in some areas

12 Feb 2014, 15:21

Helpful!

Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

18 Jan 2020, 02:36

This is really interesting - could we perhaps update it/do a new list? There have been changes and closures since 2012.

It would also be interesting to which MC’s have PSMs/FSMs etc, and which ones offload certain work (eg 2nd class mail sorting) to other centres.

18 Jan 2020, 08:01

Lockardian wrote:This is really interesting - could we perhaps update it/do a new list? There have been changes and closures since 2012.

It would also be interesting to which MC’s have PSMs/FSMs etc, and which ones offload certain work (eg 2nd class mail sorting) to other centres.

I can see RM decommissioning some or all of the FSMs over the next few years. The volume of flats has dropped a lot over the last few years. Possibly some of it might be down to companies sending documents electronically instead of sending them in the post.

iirc it's going to be about 40 PSMs that RM are going to have so I'm guessing their plan is to have 1 in every MC but the largest MCs might have 2. Don't know about the smallest MCs - don't think Truro would have a hope in hell of fitting one in.

10 Apr 2020, 10:07

We could really do with a new list as so much has changed since the list on page 1 was compiled. I’m happy to help compile one. It would be nice to see info such as postcodes covered, machines in use (FSM, PSM, IMP, CSS etc), any local arrangements/diverts in place (eg 2C packets sorted elsewhere), etc.

If anyone wants to post info about their mail centre here it can then be compiled into a list.

21 Apr 2020, 01:24

Does anyone know how Chorley fits into the network? Is it a ParcelForce centre? We get a trailer from there every night with packets,flats and letters on it - possibly sorted elsewhere though.

Previous page Next page

Page 5 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5