not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

13 Aug 2012, 15:49

fionalou wrote:hi. i would like to point out. i work at aberdeen mail centre and most of inverness mail getting sorted at aberdeen mail centre, ie not most all of inverness mail getts sorted at aberdeen. inverness dosen't have a mail centre its more like a delivery office.

:nana :dcfo

So that's Scotland down to thre mail centres then. :shock: Nice and efficient ready for independance. :crazy:

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

13 Aug 2012, 15:53

Lounge Lizard wrote:So that's Scotland down to thre mail centres then. :shock: Nice and efficient ready for independance. :crazy:

How much do you pay for your prescriptions in England.

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

13 Aug 2012, 15:57

clashcityrocker wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:So that's Scotland down to thre mail centres then. :shock: Nice and efficient ready for independance. :crazy:

How much do you pay for your prescriptions in England.


And how much for university tuition fees?

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

13 Aug 2012, 16:46

clashcityrocker wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:So that's Scotland down to thre mail centres then. :shock: Nice and efficient ready for independance. :crazy:

How much do you pay for your prescriptions in England.

Nearly £100 a year. :sad:

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

13 Aug 2012, 18:00

Inverness handles 1st class traffic only but there are no plans for it to be closed.

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

08 Sep 2012, 19:34

Have updated the list again.

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

25 Sep 2013, 20:09

dingo wrote:There are 15 duties including reserves within the SW1 Hub they serve SW1 ,3 , 2 , 8 , 5, 10 , 4 , 11.

Jubilee will be the biggest inward operation in the country from next week. However their is a panic on as their is insufficient professional drivers in Jubilee to cover the SW units.


hi we recently promoted to temporary distribution drivers we had been in posts for 5 months.then 4 fulltime reserve driving positions were advertised. we all had more seniority than the ag`s who applied for them . although we had temporary contracts in itribution the jobs were given to ag drivers with a lot less seniority than us.
was this done correctly where part time worker s took preference over fulltime workers with more seniority.

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

26 Sep 2013, 18:48

If you are permanent full time (and been in your duty more than 12 months) then temporarily promoted to Dist drivers then you should be able to have applied for the reserve duties. Seniority rules. Ask your union rep to get involved!

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

26 Sep 2013, 20:16

pcb wrote:If you are permanent full time (and been in your duty more than 12 months) then temporarily promoted to Dist drivers then you should be able to have applied for the reserve duties. Seniority rules. Ask your union rep to get involved!


hi pcb
I have 33 year as a royal mail employee been mgv driving on substitution basis from processing.for the last 18 weeks been attached on a istribution contract a a long term mgv driver. unfortunately drivers rep seem to be working againt me. we have approach the area rep in mailcentre.
3 of the people iven the contracts have less than 10 year a ag drivers. im suitable an have the seniority but wasn`t iven the poition my record I excellent good conduct no sickness. only 3 pt on license.

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

26 Sep 2013, 20:27

Get hold of area distribution rep if no joy there go to the branch secretary face to face and tell him/her your issue ASAP!

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

26 Sep 2013, 21:51

pcb wrote:Get hold of area distribution rep if no joy there go to the branch secretary face to face and tell him/her your issue ASAP!



thanks pcb the area rep of mail centre is speaking tomorrow with the driver`s div rep.it seems the area distribution rep is at the heart of all my troubles he appears to be closing all doors to stop me getting in to distribution

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

29 Sep 2013, 00:23

Jubilee MC now handles GU and SW postcodes
Croydon MC now handle SE Postcode
London South now Knocked down only a little tower remains.

As for rumours re Medway maybe the manager is planning for post privatisation and becoming a minicab driver.

Seriously Croydon BR/CR/SM postcodes and Gatwick set to merge in future due to 2nd runway at Gatwick running thru the MC and a site has been bought near Coulsdon. A Croydon driver did say SE1-28 would stay in Croydon and SW1-20 move in with them. Jubilee may be merged with Greenford KT moved in with Gatwick and Croydon Guildford could be merged into a new mail centre altogether with SL and RG postcodes RG moved out to maybe make way for another area to go into Thames Valley Mail Centre.
Be prepared for re shuffles as phase 1 ends and phase 2 starts.

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

29 Sep 2013, 00:39

rainbowwarrior72 wrote:Jubilee MC now handles GU and SW postcodes
Croydon MC now handle SE Postcode
London South now Knocked down only a little tower remains.

As for rumours re Medway maybe the manager is planning for post privatisation and becoming a minicab driver.

Seriously Croydon BR/CR/SM postcodes and Gatwick set to merge in future due to 2nd runway at Gatwick running thru the MC and a site has been bought near Coulsdon. A Croydon driver did say SE1-28 would stay in Croydon and SW1-20 move in with them. Jubilee may be merged with Greenford KT moved in with Gatwick and Croydon Guildford could be merged into a new mail centre altogether with SL and RG postcodes RG moved out to maybe make way for another area to go into Thames Valley Mail Centre.
Be prepared for re shuffles as phase 1 ends and phase 2 starts.


Hi rainbow, How long does phase 2 take and will there be EVR' s and will MTSF agreement be relevant? :hmmmm

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

29 Sep 2013, 09:07

I am assuming phase 2 is when they will start the process of Super Super Mail Centres. The view seems to be that RM want 3-4 MCs per region and big enough to accommodate a packet machine and another FSM. Most MCs have just the one FSM I think Thames Valley has 2 but might be wrong on that. Also with the new closures announced like Gloucester, Pompey, Cambridge, Ipswich, Shrewsbury and the others it stands to reason to expect some major reshuffling. Watford took on Luton work only to close 2years later.
A lot of what I said in my post is abit of idle speculation and to be fair we all know where RM is heading for long term of Super MCs and Delivery Centres ie Premier Park in West London which I believe is not working out the way RM wants it to be.
I know at JMC we are expecting a major cull of duties both on MGV and Processing side next year. Can't see it be anything but disaster for the MC if they go with their plans.
Did hear from a member of Camberley MPU of rumours of a Super MPU unit in Farnboro by the airport there but RM have had the chance before
Re EVRs they did a consultation earlier this year and its all gone quiet

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

29 Sep 2013, 09:48

rainbowwarrior72 wrote:I am assuming phase 2 is when they will start the process of Super Super Mail Centres. The view seems to be that RM want 3-4 MCs per region and big enough to accommodate a packet machine and another FSM. Most MCs have just the one FSM I think Thames Valley has 2 but might be wrong on that. Also with the new closures announced like Gloucester, Pompey, Cambridge, Ipswich, Shrewsbury and the others it stands to reason to expect some major reshuffling. Watford took on Luton work only to close 2years later.
A lot of what I said in my post is abit of idle speculation and to be fair we all know where RM is heading for long term of Super MCs and Delivery Centres ie Premier Park in West London which I believe is not working out the way RM wants it to be.
I know at JMC we are expecting a major cull of duties both on MGV and Processing side next year. Can't see it be anything but disaster for the MC if they go with their plans.
Did hear from a member of Camberley MPU of rumours of a Super MPU unit in Farnboro by the airport there but RM have had the chance before
Re EVRs they did a consultation earlier this year and its all gone quiet

I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of automation of both Tracked and SDs in MCs, not so much for the SDs but for the Tracked with the every increasing volumes (also the SD guns are old and f****d - I heard a rumor that RM have to get spares/replacements from ebay) and the PDAs aren't really up to scanning the volume of stuff that we put through in MCs. Anyone who works at an RDC, what sort of setup is used for the automated processing and/or scanning of Tracked there and how much room does it take up?

Where any given DO is with around an hour's drive or less of its MC it wouldn't surprise me to see them loose any runs before 06:00 as that would save RM money and would mean that instead of sending part filled sleeves/yorks every so often, the only part fills would be the final odd bits at the end.

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

29 Sep 2013, 10:05

Some really good points above but the thing that concerns me most and people seem to miss the point sometimes is that they can move work to another mail centre quite quickly these days especially the second class. This takes hours of work out of offices and can even get rid of night and early shifts. So the best working offices will get the work and the less efficient will lose work.You only need to look at the offices mentioned which have lost second class. This is the same on logistics if you don't want the runs they move them to more efficient vocs where they are covered more efficiently..

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

29 Sep 2013, 14:23

benn2261 wrote:
pcb wrote:If you are permanent full time (and been in your duty more than 12 months) then temporarily promoted to Dist drivers then you should be able to have applied for the reserve duties. Seniority rules. Ask your union rep to get involved!


hi pcb
I have 33 year as a royal mail employee been mgv driving on substitution basis from processing.for the last 18 weeks been attached on a istribution contract a a long term mgv driver. unfortunately drivers rep seem to be working againt me. we have approach the area rep in mailcentre.
3 of the people iven the contracts have less than 10 year a ag drivers. im suitable an have the seniority but wasn`t iven the poition my record I excellent good conduct no sickness. only 3 pt on license.


Maybe you should talk to HQ's about the Rep to see if they can resolve it informally :wink:

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

29 Sep 2013, 15:26

With most offices closed before 6am we are doing a lot of lock and drop Most areas do it with a buddy system but GU Hub go in on their own Their Branch agreed that. The management want to goto that system rather then the buddy system and in the absence of a proper national agreement management do what they want. The only national agreement is one manning offices where there are guidelines to follow. The problem with mail centres taking on more work and lack of space work can't be stored.

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

30 Sep 2013, 12:35

SpacePhoenix wrote:
rainbowwarrior72 wrote:I am assuming phase 2 is when they will start the process of Super Super Mail Centres. The view seems to be that RM want 3-4 MCs per region and big enough to accommodate a packet machine and another FSM. Most MCs have just the one FSM I think Thames Valley has 2 but might be wrong on that. Also with the new closures announced like Gloucester, Pompey, Cambridge, Ipswich, Shrewsbury and the others it stands to reason to expect some major reshuffling. Watford took on Luton work only to close 2years later.


Swindon only has one Tops2K now - the second (naturally the faster better machine of the two) was taken out years ago.

As for RG and SL moving in to a different site, there aren't really any codes that could viably go into SN in its place, unless Bristol loses GL - only other choice is BA or SP and they're both too far out for DO runs.

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

30 Sep 2013, 15:40

There are rumours coming out of Pompey about a big MC being built somewhere up the A31 the big question whats the long term future of Dorset MC?

Previous page Next page


Page 4 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5