not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Re: Current Mail Centres & Distribution Centres etc.

24 Mar 2012, 12:41

wiser112 wrote:just a quick update ROAD 1 is USA, CANADA, NETHERLANDS, FRANCE, BELGIUM
Road 2 is EURO
Road 3 is ROW = India, Australia, China, Hong kong etc

That's great.

How come netherlands, france and belgium are not in EURO road?
anmd surely US and Canada should be road 3? How does it work if you know?

25 Mar 2012, 00:28

volumes of mail, network arrangements etc

in every outward mc, there are 2 selections for letters flats and mech (packets are slightly different).

1. USA Canada and Europe

2. Rest of the world (residue)

This would then goto HWDC, ROW would go directly to road 3, whereas USA etc, would need to be primary sorted into road 1 & 2

Plus the part of the idea behind the road system, is that if you are unfamiliar with the place you are sorting to, you probably know the general area it is in, so can sort it to the correct road

26 Mar 2012, 22:01

the road selection is more for the signed for

but on the manual sortation it differs

26 Mar 2012, 23:53

Thats another thing, I thought you just dump the mail into machines and it sorts everything? Surely in this day and age sorting is done by machines unless they cant read the address..? When I imagine the vast amount of mail - especially packets going into mcs, I wonder how much sorting must have to occur, with international and domestic mail both in the same sacks - im thinking of postboxes here. Just a thought, Lol.

27 Mar 2012, 01:40

most mail is processed in 2-3passes tops on machinery

raw mail from a postbox goes into an outward plan, which has the busiest selections in the office and atleast one selection for every inward MC. (foreign is a 2 way split as said above outwith christmas)

mail that has to be transferred from the outward MC, is then taken to the recieving inward MC, and put through an inward 1 pass plan, which sorts the heavyist selections for that office again, and splits off the less common offices (i.e. SPDO's in the sticks) to be put through 1 most sort plan

As for rejects/manual, it's different locally, some offices use a roads system, others use a 2 frame sort.

as for amount of mail that gets sorted through automation, anything that is charged letter or large letter gets put through a machine of 1 kind or the other (there are exceptions, e.g. inverness has not machinery whatsoever, and has no plans to get any).

But according to what Moya said at the SW(?) AGM, there are plans for packet automation (again) in the works.

Seriously, it's like we are in a timewarp.

28 Mar 2012, 17:15

Re Dingo's reply of 29 Jan, just read on RM Service Updates that SE and SW all now at the Mount. What's going on? Some has already been going to Jubilee. Has there been a total re-think because they could n't get people to go Jubilee.

09 Apr 2012, 16:37

, this is an outhouse operation for the christmas pressure period only
Last edited by perstop tray on 18 Nov 2012, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

09 Apr 2012, 18:18

perstop tray wrote:Tyneside does not have an ovo, this is an outhouse operation for the christmas pressure period only

Ok, will remove that. The bulk of the list initially came from a freedom of information request which was probably a few years ago. Will try to update the list at least every month if people let me know theres an error.

12 Apr 2012, 12:06

norbert8 wrote:Re Dingo's reply of 29 Jan, just read on RM Service Updates that SE and SW all now at the Mount. What's going on? Some has already been going to Jubilee. Has there been a total re-think because they could n't get people to go Jubilee.

As far as I am aware the SW work is still coming over to us at JMC from Nine Elms. I've heard they are looking at trucking work from Jubilee to a central London hub. Also Croydon is all set to go with the SE work I think it might be the SW1 and SE1 hubs running into the Mount. To be fair it's been a nightmare on both sides getting info as no-one knows on the Jubilee side what is going on as there is alot of internal politics going on.

15 Apr 2012, 16:57

Greenford was also mentioned as taking some of Nine Elms work. Assume that N will go to MP and E to Romford when East London Closes? Is JMC going to do SW inward and Croydon SE inward?

18 Apr 2012, 05:38

Have this week started getting despatches the Medway MC not sure yet which postcodes they are despatching mail from. From the original list I would assume its CT/DA/ME/TN. We have not as yet changed our outward despatching arrangements. We are still sending mail out to the seperate offices.

18 Apr 2012, 06:46

postman1979 wrote:Have this week started getting despatches the Medway MC not sure yet which postcodes they are despatching mail from. From the original list I would assume its CT/DA/ME/TN. We have not as yet changed our outward despatching arrangements. We are still sending mail out to the seperate offices.

Medway MC has been dispatching stuff for at least a month, don't know if everything has been moved over to there from the old MCs that it replaces

19 Apr 2012, 05:42

SpacePhoenix wrote:
postman1979 wrote:Have this week started getting despatches the Medway MC not sure yet which postcodes they are despatching mail from. From the original list I would assume its CT/DA/ME/TN. We have not as yet changed our outward despatching arrangements. We are still sending mail out to the seperate offices.

Medway MC has been dispatching stuff for at least a month, don't know if everything has been moved over to there from the old MCs that it replaces

I am informed that Medway is currently despatching only and that it will not start receiving inward mail until August, has anybody heard anything different?

27 Jul 2012, 00:01

rainbowwarrior72 wrote:
norbert8 wrote:Re Dingo's reply of 29 Jan, just read on RM Service Updates that SE and SW all now at the Mount. What's going on? Some has already been going to Jubilee. Has there been a total re-think because they could n't get people to go Jubilee.

As far as I am aware the SW work is still coming over to us at JMC from Nine Elms. I've heard they are looking at trucking work from Jubilee to a central London hub. Also Croydon is all set to go with the SE work I think it might be the SW1 and SE1 hubs running into the Mount. To be fair it's been a nightmare on both sides getting info as no-one knows on the Jubilee side what is going on as there is alot of internal politics going on.

Further to my previous post the SW London Migration happens 6th Aug alot of driving vacancies at JMC can see alot of problems considering we are yet to see a Dock plan and lanes where we will put the work. Mount Pleasant will be in charge of the SW1/3 hub near 9Elms MC the staff will only come up on the last run to run the final services to SW offices. Keep you informed I did chat to a Croydon driver about the the SE1-28 migration and it's chaos over there.

27 Jul 2012, 20:55

You have to remember that the SE inward move was the biggest inward transfer from a closure programme ever. They was always going to be an issue. Especially as Royal Mail did not split the mech and rest of the STL but transferee everything in one go. On top of this the packet sorting for South East changed and was a leaning curve. On top of all this there were still vacancies on MGV duties in both SE1 inward hub and Croydon. The first few days were chaos but it has calmed down all be it there is extra hourage still in Croydon and a belief that packets may have been under estimated as South London done both South East and South West. There was a meeting held yesterday in Croydon to review issues.

In terms of South West transfer there is a meeting in Jubilee next Thursday ahead of the move. The packet sorting change will be less than that in Croydon. There is still som vacancies in the SW1 Hub and Jubliee but should be filled within the next two weeks. I expect some problems in the short term. however the concept of the SW1 Hub is a good thing and will quicken services to the SW delivery offices.

31 Jul 2012, 20:11

dingo wrote:You have to remember that the SE inward move was the biggest inward transfer from a closure programme ever. They was always going to be an issue. Especially as Royal Mail did not split the mech and rest of the STL but transferee everything in one go. On top of this the packet sorting for South East changed and was a leaning curve. On top of all this there were still vacancies on MGV duties in both SE1 inward hub and Croydon. The first few days were chaos but it has calmed down all be it there is extra hourage still in Croydon and a belief that packets may have been under estimated as South London done both South East and South West. There was a meeting held yesterday in Croydon to review issues.

In terms of South West transfer there is a meeting in Jubilee next Thursday ahead of the move. The packet sorting change will be less than that in Croydon. There is still som vacancies in the SW1 Hub and Jubliee but should be filled within the next two weeks. I expect some problems in the short term. however the concept of the SW1 Hub is a good thing and will quicken services to the SW delivery offices.

My understanding is that there is only going to be about 7 duties based at the SW1 hub at night and they will will be concentrating on the central London offices. The other 32 night duties at JMC will be cover the rest save for SW19 which is an existing 17t service. As a reserve on nights am hoping for a SW duty when they come up. Been on leave since the 23rd so no news on any fresh developments. I'm back into work sunday night so will look forward to the chaos (NOT!)

31 Jul 2012, 20:16

By the way we keep being told at JMC we're going to be the biggest inward operation in the country but then again I hear from my mate at HCN they're the biggest and, Greenford boys say they are the biggest inward and now Croydon are saying the same I'm slightly worried. We all know that Croydon are a sub office of JMC really
:chuckle

31 Jul 2012, 21:40

There are 15 duties including reserves within the SW1 Hub they serve SW1 ,3 , 2 , 8 , 5, 10 , 4 , 11.

Jubilee will be the biggest inward operation in the country from next week. However their is a panic on as their is insufficient professional drivers in Jubilee to cover the SW units.

01 Aug 2012, 15:24

Alot of things left to the last minute as per normal

13 Aug 2012, 14:15

hi. i would like to point out. i work at aberdeen mail centre and most of inverness mail getting sorted at aberdeen mail centre, ie not most all of inverness mail getts sorted at aberdeen. inverness dosen't have a mail centre its more like a delivery office.

:nana :dcfo

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5