ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postmen's Huts

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
alancleaver

Postmen's Huts

Post by alancleaver »

I've recently come across references to Postmen's Rests (or Postmen's Huts) which were used in the early 20th Century. Very few seem to survive. The one pictured (Credit: Jeremy Bolwell) is near Asterton in Shropshire and a few others are mentioned on the internet. Does anyone know of any in their locality? I can't believe any are still used by postmen but happy to be proved wrong! They seem to have been for postmen at the end of their round who were then resting before returning to head office or perhaps waiting for train or bus back? They also seem to have been simple corrugated iron structures. Any info would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

k979aaa

Postmen's Huts

Post by k979aaa »

alancleaver wrote:I've recently come across references to Postmen's Rests (or Postmen's Huts) which were used in the early 20th Century. Very few seem to survive. The one pictured (Credit: Jeremy Bolwell) is near Asterton in Shropshire and a few others are mentioned on the internet. Does anyone know of any in their locality? I can't believe any are still used by postmen but happy to be proved wrong! They seem to have been for postmen at the end of their round who were then resting before returning to head office or perhaps waiting for train or bus back? They also seem to have been simple corrugated iron structures. Any info would be appreciated.
They don't use them these days partly due to the lack of postmen and they rather they deteriorate before they get to retirement that is the postmen not the huts!