ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How are (were) delivery routes allocated?

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
JGILBERT

Post by JGILBERT »

Hi,
I'm making a short film about Postal workers and the struggle to get a good route.
I realised I know little to nothing about the struggle (or if there is one) so I thought who better to ask :Very Happy .
I have always wondered how they're dished out and if there is competition over the good ones.
Are they just handed out by management or do you have a say in the ones you take on?
Any info or funny anecdotes would be much appreciated,
Thanks.

Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

A full re-sign in an office is done on a seniority basis.
In some offices separate lists are made up for full and part-time duties, other offices pick purely on the outdoor element of a delivery route.
A single vacant duty should be advertised internally and the most senior member of staff who applies for it will get it subject to suitability.
Only dead fish follow the current
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

It's always interesting in the weeks leading up to a re-sign when posties desperate to stay on a delivery will try to make it look as unappealing as possible while others can be found eyeing up your frame while you're not looking. There's also the blatant lies about what people plan to pick to throw you off the scent.

It's a lot like Game of Thrones without the casual nudity.
Only dead fish follow the current
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by RobertT »

About 30 years ago a new housing estate sprung up and most of it was put on a existing walk until it got too big for them to cope, and then a new walk was created.
I'd been in the job about 18 months at the time and was asked if I wanted to do it, and I said yes.
No applying for it and the most senior employee getting it as it is now – just do you want it, and if so, you start on Monday.

I'm still on it now, although I did have a 5 year stint on another walk along the way.
Alatar
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: How are (were) delivery routes allocated?

Post by Alatar »

I can't remember where I found the information but in the late 1800s routes were allotted by managers leading to corruption and managers being bribed for the best duties so seniority was introduced where whoever had been a postman the longest would have first choice meaning the process would be open and clear for everyone to see.
Its been in use so long that every thinks it's just the way it should work.
ted_e_bear

Re: How are (were) delivery routes allocated?

Post by ted_e_bear »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
03 May 2019, 16:03
It's always interesting in the weeks leading up to a re-sign when posties desperate to stay on a delivery will try to make it look as unappealing as possible while others can be found eyeing up your frame while you're not looking. There's also the blatant lies about what people plan to pick to throw you off the scent.

It's a lot like Game of Thrones without the casual nudity.
Plus the question often asked in a final act of clutching at straws desperation on here "my duty hasn't changed, can it be kept out of the repick ?"