ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Times Gone By: Striking postie back to work with good reason

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Times Gone By: Striking postie back to work with good reason

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.staffordshirenewsletter.co.u ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alan Beckwith

FEELINGS were running high among postmen and women in 1971 when their strike for a better deal seem to be dragging on forever, having lasted from January 20 to March 4 - total of seven weeks.

Among those who were keen to support the strike was postman 23-year-old Alan Beckwith, of Brook Glen Road, who at one stage was asked to empty telephone kiosk coin boxes - a job he wouldn't normally do.

After discussions, he was allowed to work normally as a postman and with the full blessing of his trade union, the Union of Post Office Workers led by the splendidly moustached Tom Jackson.

The reason for Alan's return to work during the strike was quite simple . . . Alan was about to emigrate and union officials agreed that Alan should go back to work in order to serve out his three weeks' notice.

"I went back very reluctantly. I had to do a lot of explaining," he told the Newsletter.

Alan had served as secretary of Stafford Youth Football League, manager of Rising Brook youth side and an assistant at Rising Brook Youth Club. He set sail for Australia on March 20 1971.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."