ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Being interviewed for the job

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
FAB

Post by FAB »

Do people remember the rather odd intelligent test book you had to complete when you went for the interview for a job as a Postie? I remember things like having to work which way a wheel would rotate when the pedal was turned depending on how the chain was linked. And other Similar tests. This was in the mid 80's I wonder when they dropped this idea? And do these books still exist somewhere- would love to get hold of one just to prove my mind is not playing tricks!

blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by blue1873 »

Remember it well,in our area they called it "The Apptitude Test" and going by the pictures in the booklet
you didn't need to be Einstein to pass that test, honestly it was a test for eight year olds ,came into the job
in January 88 and people who came in the early nineties didn't have to go through the farce that this
"test"was. Probably some of our staff today wouldn't pass it though.....no surprises there.
bmccoll

Post by bmccoll »

I seem to remember a windsock being in the test!?!?!
FAB

Post by FAB »

I wonder if any of these test books still exist? In some long forgotten cupboard perhaps?
harrybass

Post by harrybass »

bmccoll wrote:I seem to remember a windsock being in the test!?!?!
And the garage doors opening inwards so if drove your car in you wouldn't be able The shut the doors
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

The test I had was mostly basic maths, spotting address and post code mistakes and matching post codes up with places, it wasn't too difficult for me, mind even then some failed it.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
baz284
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by baz284 »

They still done this test when I started in 1993, don't know if it mattered the manager interviewing me for the job was an old friend of my dad when he was in the army.
benares

Post by benares »

I remember the Bicycle Wheel question at interview which made me smile, but I wasn't smiling for the sorting test. I trained at Kings Cross, it was the GPO in those days (1968). Before that I was a PO messenger in the City of London working for the Submarine Section, very James Bond.
g31
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by g31 »

NWpostie wrote:The test I had was mostly basic maths, spotting address and post code mistakes and matching post codes up with places, it wasn't too difficult for me, mind even then some failed it.
I also remember that exact test from 1994.
Now they just check your background. If you’re law abiding your in.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

g31 wrote:
NWpostie wrote:The test I had was mostly basic maths, spotting address and post code mistakes and matching post codes up with places, it wasn't too difficult for me, mind even then some failed it.
They do an online assessment test there days.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
FAB

Post by FAB »

Wonder if any copies of that old test book are still around in some dusty corner of RM?
cantonkid1955
PARCELFORCE

Post by cantonkid1955 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
g31 wrote:
They do an online assessment test there days.

Its a pity they didn't do an online assessment for the security guards protecting the UKBA.(United Kingdom Border Agency)
I had been delivering there for a number of years without any problems,.
I went there one Monday morning to find a bunch of new guys,who could barely speak English,and even though I was in uniform ,they demanded to see my ID every day,,as the items I had were to be signed for by the recipient,,as they were case files.
One morning,,there were another bunch of new guys there,,different contractors.
I asked where the other contractors were,,they said that the company that had supplied the security for the UKBA,had been suppylying security guards that were illegal immigrants,and had the contract terminated forthwith,,
What really pissed me off was being asked to prove on a daily basis ,that I was who I said I was,to guys who had no business being in the UK,.
It could only happen in the UK,,the UK Border Force,being protected by a bunch of illegal immigrants..you really couldn't make it up.
Robbyjohn
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Robbyjohn »

Oh yes the aptitude test do you remember the house with the chimney and smoke and the footprints in the snow

What about after passing that test and having to go into the post office training school sorting tests
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by baldrick »

It was known as the 'Idiot Test' in my mc. But only 20% of people who were tested passed it.
Howsey74

Post by Howsey74 »

I wasn't interviewed, my uncle phoned me and asked if I wanted a summer job (24 years ago!)