ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Being interviewed for the job

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
sprinkle

Being interviewed for the job

Post by sprinkle »

Remember a lot of the questions, like garage door opening in and can't close for car.Most of all I remember learning all the postcode area's and the sorting test at the end off two weeks. Worst of all training guy didn't notice I sorted left handed, stamp still in the correct corner but told me if I did this in the test the following day I would fail.He said everything in Post Office set up for being right handed!! But he was a decent guy and gave me slightly more time in the test.
34 years later, still here!!!

glass joe

Re: Being interviewed for the job

Post by glass joe »

2001, some sorting test in a class room, then a interview in front of 3 people at a desk, then in some classroom for a few days then to the office and working with someone for 3-4 weeks. fun days haha
Expostie

Post by Expostie »

No your not mad. The bike and the gears the chimneys and the smoke. This is just before they introduced. RRIS payments and lowered the pass threshold for that test to 30%
dddelta

Post by dddelta »

I remember that test when I started in 1987. Like being back at school. Some young lads failed it. Wonder where they are now?
Anyone else remember feeling dead important at signing the official secrets act when you got your contract?
PDAHappy

Post by PDAHappy »

I remember when I joined in 2003 a maths test and a postcode test/sorting test.Again there were people who failed.But what I do remember is being asked in the interview was “Are you happy to wear a uniform” and “Can you ride a bicycle in bad weather”.
celtic1967
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by celtic1967 »

PDAHappy wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 18:18
I remember when I joined in 2003 a maths test and a postcode test/sorting test.Again there were people who failed.But what I do remember is being asked in the interview was “Are you happy to wear a uniform” and “Can you ride a bicycle in bad weather”.
Same year I started. I remember doing the maths test and doing it in about 3 minutes and thinking I must have missed some pages out! Some blokes in the same room were still working their way through when the examiner called time.
Fannybaws

Post by Fannybaws »

Joined 2001 and remember doing a maths test and a couple of others. During the interview was asked if I was happy walking up to 8 miles on busy days and the lino telling me it wasn't the job it used to be :chuckle . Spent first week at the local MC getting introduced to everything RM with a day at my designated DO. Then IPS and prep tests about 2-3 months into the job.

Oh those were the days.
Fannybaws

Post by Fannybaws »

dddelta wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 14:25
Anyone else remember feeling dead important at signing the official secrets act when you got your contract?
Yep and I can still remember the very serious speech the lino gave about confidentiality and protecting customers info before we signed.

Felt dead important at the time :chuckle
FAB

Post by FAB »

Fannybaws wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 19:02
dddelta wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 14:25
Yep and I can still remember the very serious speech the lino gave about confidentiality and protecting customers info before we signed.

Felt dead important at the time :chuckle
Doubt you have to do that now. Wonder when it was dropped. With privatisation I suppose.
Russpuss

Post by Russpuss »

Remember that test in late 1970s then interview with someone who asked what year my mother was born to which I replied that I don’t know and what has that got to do with anything. Later I was a deputy manager trained for interviewing new entrants in the 2000s they had done the online application, but then when someone came and couldn’t answer the questions because there English was not very good leaving me to then have to explain why in my opinion they were not suitable for employment.
twoloops

Post by twoloops »

This is why RM can & will have our pants down with a crap deal, turkey & Christmas comes to mind 🤣