ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

NATIONAL RECOGNITION FOR SPECIAL DELIVERER

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

NATIONAL RECOGNITION FOR SPECIAL DELIVERER

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/2.5463/nationa ... -1.1212610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BACK in May 1990 the Askam postwoman Maureen Burns was a national finalist in a contest to discover Britain’s favourite postie.

Mrs Burns, who lived and worked in Askam, was the only woman finalist in a competition run by BBC Radio Two and the Post Office.

The Evening Mail on May 5 in 1990 said: “A postman from Northern Ireland beat his six rivals for the award but Mrs Burns was far from down-hearted after spending a luxury break in London with husband Jim and the customer who nominated her, Mrs Gladys Bowes, of Sharp Street.”

Mrs Burns, of Duke Street, had worked on the post for eight years.

She told the Mail: “It was fantastic. We had a lovely hotel in London.

“There was a reception for us at Radio Two and we even met DJ Derek Jameson.”

Radio Two listeners had been asked to send in their votes.

As the northern area winner, Mrs Burns received a free weekend for two at any Hilton hotel in Britain.

Mrs Bowes, who went on the London trip with her granddaughter Susan Kirkby, was given a year’s supply of stamps and a leather writing case.

In the nomination letter, Mrs Bowes said: “She collects pills for pensioners and has been known to take people to hospital if they’ve no other way of getting there.

“She helps mothers with young kiddies and does nothing but good.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: NATIONAL RECOGNITION FOR SPECIAL DELIVERER

Post by Lounge Lizard »

In the nomination letter, Mrs Bowes said: “She collects pills for pensioners and has been known to take people to hospital if they’ve no other way of getting there. :thumbup
adding that the shared van is much more comfortable for them than the crossbar of the old bike was. :crazy: