ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

what time did posties deliver in the sixties

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
goldy

what time did posties deliver in the sixties

Post by goldy »

With the forthcoming talk about privatisation and the drop off of mail volumes i keep wondering where were the posties in the sixties and seventies apparently
we all sent much more mail then and it was a much more important sevice but
i grew up in the sixties and seventies and i dont think i ever saw a postman or was it just they started early .

Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: what time did posties deliver in the sixties

Post by Lounge Lizard »

goldy wrote:With the forthcoming talk about privatisation and the drop off of mail volumes i keep wondering where were the posties in the sixties and seventies apparently
i grew up in the sixties and seventies and i dont think i ever saw a postman or was it just they started early .
Ask your mother ? :shock:
goldy

Post by goldy »

She cant remember either they must have stated about 4.00AM
Dozen

Post by Dozen »

There's an old postie on my walk who's retired now. She said the latest she'd ever finish was 11:00

Now we've got offices with walks where some struggle to even get out by 11:00 :arrrghhh
goldy

Post by goldy »

when i started not too long ago it was 10.30 finish some saturdays on job and knock so 11.00 am
doesnt suprise me.
fishtank

Post by fishtank »

goldy wrote:when i started not too long ago it was 10.30 finish some saturdays on job and knock so 11.00 am
doesnt suprise me.
When I started if I wasn't in the house by 0900 on a saturday my wife would think I was having "breakfast" somewhere else.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
daveyeff

Post by daveyeff »

fishtank wrote:
goldy wrote:when i started not too long ago it was 10.30 finish some saturdays on job and knock so 11.00 am
doesnt suprise me.
When I started if I wasn't in the house by 0900 on a saturday my wife would think I was having "breakfast" somewhere else.
aye, on the streets by 6.30 am on a sat, in the hoose by 9. saw my mate once catching his bus home at 8.15.am. but it was ''match day'' so he made the effort. bout 11.30/dinner time through the week. sigh happy days.
daveyeff

Post by daveyeff »

crozier wanted 'spanish practices' stopped and this is how we ended up. you dont see spanish posties on the street after 12. come to think of it,,,,you dont see them at all.,,,,,,or managers after 12 :Very Happy
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

goldy wrote:With the forthcoming talk about privatisation and the drop off of mail volumes i keep wondering where were the posties in the sixties and seventies apparently
I'm told that in the sixties and seventies postmen's deliveries were earlier than milkmen's :sad: because husband hadn't left for work when we were about but he had when the milkman did his 'delivery' :shock: and she had often cooked too much breakfast anyway. :Very Happy
goldy

Post by goldy »

stating to make sense now you didnt see em because it was dark when they were out delivering.mind you i cant imagine they had the volumes of mail we have no packets either the odd bill bank statement and odd birthday card,not all this junk and i bet flats were virtually none existant.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

goldy wrote:stating to make sense now you didnt see em because it was dark when they were out delivering.mind you i cant imagine they had the volumes of mail we have no packets either the odd bill bank statement and odd birthday card,not all this junk and i bet flats were virtually none existant.
"flats were virtually none existant" - they still are on rural duties. :Very Happy
Patti-Ann

Post by Patti-Ann »

Not 60's...but I started in 1978. I started my duty at 5.50 and if you weren't ready for delivery for 7.00, the van went without you. On a light day we could be finished for 8.30. Also on light days, the whole delivery would go into one bag :Very Happy

No such thing as door to doors, and no collapsing walks.

Now I'm van sharing with a driver. Four bags each for first walk and four bags each for second. When I started, one person doing eight bags a day would be unthinkable :shock: