ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

When it started going wrong

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
fishtank

Re: When it started going wrong

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:fledermaus?
It is a farce. :whistle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share

clashcityrocker

Post by clashcityrocker »

The first time it is a tragedy.
The second time is a farce.
Why not phone up Robin Hood
drgeek

Post by drgeek »

When they started to have the idea of to "save money" - boom!
arnold cheshire

Post by arnold cheshire »

drgeek wrote:When they started to have the idea of to "save money" - boom!
yes when they decided to make the walks massive
postiesteve1

Post by postiesteve1 »

With work measurements 'Postie's' have always had a full day of duties. Some work faster then others and some slower so the average is what is used to produce a good days work. This includes legislated breaks such as coffee, washroom, lunch, add on the travel time to and from the delivery area it adds up. When we do not take our rightful breaks then it appears that we get a pretty sweet deal. The public do not know that most Postie's start their days long before the start to stir from their slumber. We only have Monday to Friday delivery and only a once thru... so our routes here are getting pretty long walks and most of us in Canada are still walking not driving not biking our routes. Still it is a good job but I would not recommend it as a long term career as the body will not hold up to the new reality that the Postal Masters have imposed on us.
Hanna

Post by Hanna »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
rose wrote:postie wife's humble opinion :crazy: :crazy:

I can remember when the post was sorted through the night and when the posties came in in the morning their walk was sorted and mostly thrown off and they were more or less ready to go out. They used to finish delivering come back and have a meal relief, take out a second delivery (mis-sorts and such like) and still be finished by 11 o'clock most days. Golf course all afternoon!!!! RM didn't want to pay night workers, just like they didn't want the mail trains, but IMO that is when RM started going downhill.
this doesnt sound like a real postie but a customers opion like the one where they think you get all the walk in one bag :evil/mad
When I started (in 1978) we COULD get the whole delivery into one bag - on the lighter days. On heavier days we split the walk into two bags.

Now I'm doing van share with a driver - four bags each on first delivery and four bags each on second (it used to be five but they've joined two loops together, must think it will save time) :wink:

We used to be out for 7.00, finish the delivery and back to the office for 9.50 (I'm part time). Now we rarely get out before 10.00 :mad

Thank goodness I've only a few years to retirement :angel
mondeo1

Post by mondeo1 »

now moya at the helm things are goin from bad 2 worse, she not even british fgs
motch

Post by motch »

suenicholas wrote:gone wrong in the last 3 - 4 years. mainly because we are repeatedly being told that no one sends mail anymore (its busier in our office than ever, and they are moving us to bigger premises) how come..... and that we are all pinching and not delivering our letters and dont take any pride in our work, etc..... if you are told something often enough you start to think why should i bother if they dont.
The surge in Credit Cards, Loans, Mortgage lending, especially 2002-2007 caused a big increase in the amount of letters sent out to all households in those years especially, remember when you'd get trays of letters all from the same banks/lenders? if you take those years out of the equation the mail hasn't really dropped much, especially if you take the packet increase into account now to more than make up for it.
redpanda911

Re: good old days.

Post by redpanda911 »

hi ,just like to say,when I joined the post office in 1962,we had a probation period of six months,then you were eligible for a pension after 5 years service. We had to sign the official secrets act( ie mail in transit etc )(this was a pink card.) The staff were mainly all ex service either army or navy.The job was run as a SERVICE not for PROFIT as now. The job was mainly male staff and there was no female staff at all. At christmas there was plenty of o/t or docket (lol) and the wages were quite good ,about £28, and you could go out for a fiver,beer was 2 and 6 and petrol was five shillings a gall. There was a strong union( UCW) I was in the post office for over 25 years,My dad was in the same job,and he was in that for 50 years. :Very Happy Why the post office decided to, not to have two deliveries anymore. I "M at a loss to think why!( money) You now what they say "give the donkey a carrot ,and then the stick" :crazy: .
beria

Post by beria »

In 1970 or so when RM became a public corporation, we were given the new all grey uniforms, and handed in our old navy blue red strip uniforms with waist coat & mackintosh etc :sad:
arnold cheshire

Post by arnold cheshire »

beria wrote:In 1970 or so when RM became a public corporation, we were given the new all grey uniforms, and handed in our old navy blue red strip uniforms with waist coat & mackintosh etc :sad:
it was later than 1970 when it started going wrong
jaybee1618

Post by jaybee1618 »

I too can remember profits being posted in the 600 million region so! what did happen cos the job aint got any easier no! no! :no no :no no :no no :no no
veryn

Post by veryn »

haha true
harrybass

Post by harrybass »

Huxon wrote:I would say it all started to go tits up after "The way forward" agrement.
You are 100% right my friend
lippy721

Post by lippy721 »

when crozier and leighton dragged the business into a downward spiral and then walked straight into another high profile job with a big handout from rm