ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

When it started going wrong

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
rose

When it started going wrong

Post by rose »

postie wife's humble opinion :crazy: :crazy:

I can remember when the post was sorted through the night and when the posties came in in the morning their walk was sorted and mostly thrown off and they were more or less ready to go out. They used to finish delivering come back and have a meal relief, take out a second delivery (mis-sorts and such like) and still be finished by 11 o'clock most days. Golf course all afternoon!!!! RM didn't want to pay night workers, just like they didn't want the mail trains, but IMO that is when RM started going downhill.

Night Tonic

Re: When it started going wrong

Post by Night Tonic »

Or in the States or anywhere else you care to look. It didn't happen when the mobile phone became affordable for the masses and the internet rolled into everyones home by any chance?
Don't believe everything you're told in the rest room
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Night Tonic wrote:Or in the States or anywhere else you care to look. It didn't happen when the mobile phone became affordable for the masses and the internet rolled into everyones home by any chance?

Well in my humble opinion both of those have had an impact but not as much as Night Tonic is suggesting. Mobile Phones and the Internet really became widespread in the 90s.

In fact the 1st newsgroup started in 1986 and Both Amazon and EBay started in 95/96. As to Mobile Phones about 1 in 5 of the population were subscribers as long ago as 1997.

I agree they have had an impact on the mail stream but not to such as degree as RM suggest based solely on the length of time from their widespread use too now. In between now and the dates given above Royal Mails own figures show that mail volumes climbed for a least 10 years and are only now showing a drop.

NB: Thats a badly written post but I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Night Tonic

Post by Night Tonic »

It still doesn't offer a reason why, and why that trend is being felt around the world though. Not many people actually write a letter now so I'd say it has actually been a big impact unless you can come up with a better reason.
Don't believe everything you're told in the rest room
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

The day after I started. :dance
Pleidiol Wyf I'm Gwlad’
BELIAL

Post by BELIAL »

Night Tonic wrote:It still doesn't offer a reason why, and why that trend is being felt around the world though. Not many people actually write a letter now so I'd say it has actually been a big impact unless you can come up with a better reason.
Not many people wrote a letter before e-mail,the key is emergence rather than substitution. It's not too difficult to understand and I will explain it if you want,. PS think you might find that the total global collapse of the money go round market bubble may have affected mail volumes :hmmmm
Huxon

Post by Huxon »

I would say it all started to go tits up after "The way forward" agrement.
gj1023
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by gj1023 »

It started to go wrong before SSD came in , probably around the late ninties, early 2000
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

Take away DSA and we're over half way there,take away the recession and we're geting nearer,take away the pension holiday and we're there.

Did we need to change,yes of course but not as drastic as it has been.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by stokes11eg »

:sad: when P&L came in, and it started to snow!
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Night Tonic wrote:Or in the States or anywhere else you care to look. It didn't happen when the mobile phone became affordable for the masses and the internet rolled into everyones home by any chance?

Well in my humble opinion both of those have had an impact but not as much as Night Tonic is suggesting. Mobile Phones and the Internet really became widespread in the 90s.

In fact the 1st newsgroup started in 1986 and Both Amazon and EBay started in 95/96. As to Mobile Phones about 1 in 5 of the population were subscribers as long ago as 1997.

I agree they have had an impact on the mail stream but not to such as degree as RM suggest based solely on the length of time from their widespread use too now. In between now and the dates given above Royal Mails own figures show that mail volumes climbed for a least 10 years and are only now showing a drop.

NB: Thats a badly written post but I hope everyone understands what I am trying to say.
Yes, nearly all those hand written letters of yesteryear have gone but have been replaced by a similar amount of advertising blurb and suchlike, much of it DSA. :shock:
thebandit

Post by thebandit »

When the first agency person stepped through the door.
http://www.totallytrucks.co.uk - where every picture tells a story
arnold cheshire

Post by arnold cheshire »

rose wrote:postie wife's humble opinion :crazy: :crazy:

I can remember when the post was sorted through the night and when the posties came in in the morning their walk was sorted and mostly thrown off and they were more or less ready to go out. They used to finish delivering come back and have a meal relief, take out a second delivery (mis-sorts and such like) and still be finished by 11 o'clock most days. Golf course all afternoon!!!! RM didn't want to pay night workers, just like they didn't want the mail trains, but IMO that is when RM started going downhill.
this doesnt sound like a real postie but a customers opion like the one where they think you get all the walk in one bag :evil/mad
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
rose wrote:postie wife's humble opinion :crazy: :crazy:

this doesnt sound like a real postie but a customers opion like the one where they think you get all the walk in one bag :evil/mad
Nope that's an accurate description of my office pre-SDD - was that only 7 years ago. :sad:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
arnold cheshire

Post by arnold cheshire »

your walk wasnt thrown in we started at 5 oclock did inward sorting till 545 then threw our own deliveries in till say 7 :wink: