ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

When it started going wrong

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
seagulls55

Re: When it started going wrong

Post by seagulls55 »

For me as a 35 year postie things went down hill the day we stopped doing 2 deliveries but moving on to the present day we're now importing Canadian cast offs to finish us off completely. We're told if we take industrial action we loose £300 back pay,well what happened to our democratic right as trade unionists to take industrial action following a legally binding ballot,and surely that £300 is money owed to us from a previously negotiated pay deal.What used to be a fantastic job has been destroyed by people that no nothing about our industry which conveniently brings me back to Canadian cast offs.

postoffice1

Post by postoffice1 »

I can still remember the good old days when i had one bag of mail for my first delivery and had a meal break at around 9.30am out again with rebates and finished around am11.30 .the royal mail had a repertation for being the best in the world and making a healthy profit .now i have six to eight bags a day no meal break finishing around 2pm everyone unhappy including the public with royal mails performance progress what a joke
GEZ61

Post by GEZ61 »

POSTMAN wrote:Hello Johno,hows tricks,in the mean time...
Tony Blair 04.jpg
Remember in the 1980s when Margaret Thatcher and the tory government decided to outlaw tertiary picketing and disallow the walkout strikes. The whole system changed as monetarism and laisse faire was the policy of the day and the changes ensued. in the Royal Mail and CWU negotiations. As a postman in the early 80s I WILL ALWAYS remember relieved I still had a job that was guaranteed when I was doing my delivery and walking over the bridge spanning the motorway, and saw the Green Goddesses supplied by the army to replace the vehicles carrying coal when the coalminers were on strike to save their jobs
This period was when things started to go wrong
Interested-seeker

Post by Interested-seeker »

blackadder wrote:where did it go tits up ?? when tony teflon blair opened up royal mail. anyone whos dun a few years in this job will know that everything had rm top right corner. look at it now, uk post, tnt blah blah blah. then blair wants us to deliver it all for pennies. im suprised that there still is a r.m, let alone there be 1 this time next year
Tony Blair is the cause of a lot of problems in our country now..the prick.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by woody38 »

arnold cheshire wrote:your walk wasnt thrown in we started at 5 oclock did inward sorting till 545 then threw our own deliveries in till say 7 :wink:
Some deliveries are from Mail centres where they did have night staff & there jobs where throne of for them, Wolverhampton had there jobs done for them where as we a mile down the road sorted & threw our jobs of.
clashcityrocker

Post by clashcityrocker »

Anyone else remember the days when we were a FTSE top 100 company?
Why not phone up Robin Hood
k979aaa

Post by k979aaa »

Interested-seeker wrote:
blackadder wrote:where did it go tits up ?? when tony teflon blair opened up royal mail. anyone whos dun a few years in this job will know that everything had rm top right corner. look at it now, uk post, tnt blah blah blah. then blair wants us to deliver it all for pennies. im suprised that there still is a r.m, let alone there be 1 this time next year
Quite right to if he turned up at Brighton today would be Guy Fawkes day for him and his ilk mandleson mcfadon and brown I WANT THESE PEOPLE BACK TO WORK themselves to death BROWN!
Newhaven

Post by Newhaven »

It started going wrong when postman stopped taking breaks and still ran around knowing that it would kill the job as we know it. We are reaping now what we have sown. Same as households, used to be worth about thirty quid a week to posties maybe more, but we shortsightedly took a pathetic lump sum which means we take maybe six contracts unpaid.Add to that greedy bosses and huge pay offs, it’s all gone wrong
PostmanBitesDog

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

k979aaa wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:
Quite right to if he turned up at Brighton today would be Guy Fawkes day for him and his ilk mandleson mcfadon and brown I WANT THESE PEOPLE BACK TO WORK themselves to death BROWN!
I thought Piers Morgan is the cause of a lot of the problems in the country now. :d'oh!
heapsy

Post by heapsy »

johno47 wrote:Blackadders correct, RM started going wrong when Tony Blairs Labour came to power in 1997, he tried to privatise us and didnt like it when there was a huge uproar about it from CWU, the public and politicians, so he set up postcomm to look into RM, everybody knew it was backdoor privatisation, when i started on RM nearly 30 years ago, if you had 2 bags of mail it was the norm, mail volumes over the last 20 years have gone up, not counting the last 5, but mail had gone up by 80 or 90%, its still 70% up on what it was, the reason why mail volumes are decreasing is partly because of e-mail and text, but the real reason is the opening up of our mail market in 2006, 2 years before the EU said they were opening up the mail markets, and then the EU didnt open them up, which left our mail market vunerable to foriegn companies creaming off our business mail, which subsidises the cost of the stamp, Leighton and Crozier could have saved this business, if they had just told postcomm that DA mail should be the same price as RMs mailsort, if they had done this then RM wouldnt have lost any money, trouble is they thought they were due a big bonus and shares for themselves if they kept their mouths shut and let RM get shafted. Theres a lot more to it than this, too much to write down, but since 1997 its like the people at the top of this business have had an agenda to run this company into the ground, in order to make it easier for privatisation.
Spot on. Systematic running down of the business to accommodate certain peoples whims, and an obsession to change for changes sake, has lead to Rms demise. I usually post in the Pension section these days, and will be glad to get out at 60. Forget staying on, working for Rm is a slow, painful death.
Puffin
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Puffin »

DSA and the fake competition cherry picking all the profitable work. In other more enlightened countries competing mail firms do not get to pick and choose what areas or types of business they engage in. If they can't make a profit doing everything then tough.