ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What made you join the Royal Mail?

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
NWpostie

Re: What made you join the Royal Mail?

Post by NWpostie »

She might end up working as a Postie to pay off her Student loans :chuckle
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.

belle smith

Post by belle smith »

NWpostie wrote:She might end up working as a Postie to pay off her Student loans :chuckle
No i believe our pay is too low to trigger repayment.
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

belle smith wrote:
NWpostie wrote:She might end up working as a Postie to pay off her Student loans :chuckle

ahh that sh1t then ? :nervous
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
BUDGIEBOI

Post by BUDGIEBOI »

THE JOB CENTER MADE ME OR THEY WUD AVE STOPED MY MONEY! 4 YEARS DOWN THE LINE LOVED IT ANOTHER 6 ON THAT PURE HELL! WE ARE TREATED LIKE SCUM!!!!
DGP1

Post by DGP1 »

NWpostie wrote:
belle smith wrote:

£21,000 before starting to pay off the loans but I'm sure the Tories would like to reduce that to 50p (and the Yellow Tories will go along with that :wink: ).
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Broxi51

Post by Broxi51 »

DGP1 wrote:
NWpostie wrote:
belle smith wrote:

£21,000 before starting to pay off the loans but I'm sure the Tories would like to reduce that to 50p (and the Yellow Tories will go along with that :wink: ).
I thought the tories would pay off all the student loans and give it to the tax paying public to pay back :hmmmm
The time has come to stop turning the other cheek, time to stop shaking our heads in bitter dismay, time to stop mumbling our angry words.
The time has come for union.
BELIAL

Post by BELIAL »

DGP1 wrote:
NWpostie wrote:
belle smith wrote:

But don't forget a small dose of inflation will soon take most over 21k and in the meantime all that lovely interest has been rolled up and doubled the size of your original loan :shock:
Postie558

Post by Postie558 »

Following the trend, I started just over 20 years ago. I think my Mum made the initial enquiry on my behalf! I was 19 years old and had dropped out of college, and really needed to find a job.

20 years on, I too lament the passing of 'The good old days', when customer service counted, and the job was p*** easy, even if we didn't think so at the time. I used to love finishing before midday. It was like working part time on full time pay! These days, I usually finish and then go straight off to pick the kids up from school.

Despite the way we get treated now, I still quite enjoy the job, even though it's a shadow of it's former self. As some of my colleagues who thought the grass may be greener have found, there are not many jobs out there that you don't need qualifications for that pay much above minimum wage, so although our pay is pretty crap, from that point of view it's not bad! And at my age, I'm not likely to find another job which gives me six weeks annual leave per year, and a reasonable pension.

Whether or not I'll carry on for another 20 years (to retirement), I really couldn't say. It's not the job for life it once was. The way I see it, as long as I keep my nose clean, or don't get caught (joke), if I take EVR, or get made redundant, I'll leave with a good few quid in the bank, which should give me 18 months to 2 years breathing space before I had to find another job. So really, I'm happy to just plod along, and - up to a point - take the crap.
gogzirino

Post by gogzirino »

decent pay,early start early finish,respected company, meet and help the public,this used to be a great job but that is gone now all i view it is money nothing else,
arnold cheshire

Post by arnold cheshire »

i left school :nana :dance :crazy:
BELIAL

Post by BELIAL »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:i left school :nana :dance :crazy:
Have you :chuckle
DocketMonsta

Post by DocketMonsta »

Desperation. :chuckle

What made me stay so far? Outstanding wages for what I consider unskilled work.
enzio

Post by enzio »

Dionysus wrote:My mother, yes my mother after leaving school at sixteen she gave me an ultimatum college or work so off to the job centre I go with my mother :oops: and they were advertising for yts/cadets in royal mail and I applied, twenty years later i'm still here.
should I have gone to college instead!!!!!! :hmmmm
wow thats my story were was you a cadet
Royal_Fail

Post by Royal_Fail »

I got into RM after applying via jobcentre had interview on friday was working the following monday.

Like most on here i used to love the job but now its just a job only reason i stay is for money :cuppa
walker1

Post by walker1 »

I joined 19 years ago, and it was the early finish that tempted me so i could go fishing on afternoons. It was great when you went out on your 2nd delivery at 1040 with half a dozen letters, and i was home for 11 :cool .The saturdays didn't really appeal to me back then but i soon got used to it.