ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What made you join the Royal Mail?

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: What made you join the Royal Mail?

Post by General Mannerheim »

Desperation at the time!
I left school when Thatchers lot had managed to put nearly every bugger out of work and now the same lot are at it again! :roll:
I started on a YTS which stood for Youth Training Scheme but was known by the unfortunate people on it as Youth Trapping Scheme, £25 a week ,i was being `trained` to be a Painter and Decorator but in reality it was just an excuse for the experienced Painters to have you getting their dinners,moving all the dust sheets and equipment whilst they had a brew and a fag etc and doing all the shitty cleaning jobs.....wire brushing 200 metres of pipe at ICI was great fun :roll: so I quit.

Anyway picked up the local paper and there was an ad for a part time postman,applied and two weeks later I was started!
Was part time for 6 months and then got made up to full time,nearly everybody who started part time then got made up quick so long as you could do the job..not like now.
The worst bit then was being on delivery one week,then the next you would be in the mailcentre doing the shitty 2 to 10 shift with late finish on Saturday and sometimes on night sorting the week after so that weekend you didn't get much of one.
I always liked deliverys and a mate who started liked working indoors(weirdo!)so we use to swap often,all the subs use to dread looking on the board for what you'd be on the week after.
I remember the day I got my first uniform....I was proud to wear it,sheesh how times change!
The management has always been s**t but in the old days there was less of them,now you can't cut a fart without some manger complaining about the smell.MEH.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.

POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

Forgot to mention,the generous share options. :nervous
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
andy2007

Post by andy2007 »

POSTMAN wrote:Forgot to mention,the generous share options. :nervous
PMSL :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
tunwells40year

Post by tunwells40year »

i joined in 1972 after being on a waiting list for 2 years .on the whole i think the job has not changed that much ...... Now to be serious my advice to anybody contemplating working for RM should not have to think that hard about the pro`s and con`s as there are no pro`s and a stack full of con`s. The job is coming to its twilight hours the future is less than bleak ,with top management really getting to grips with running the firm 6 feet under. I have no regrets i had some of the best times 20 years ago working with some really great people and will keep those memories alive ..
nickby

Post by nickby »

A WARNING TO ALL POSTIES-i worked in the building trade for years and got fed up with working on crappy building sites and working away all the time.i was 28 years old and i really fancied a change.i wanted to breath clean air and have always enjoyed walking.so i left the big smoke in the south and decided to move back home north(in lancashire).i started in 2003 as a part time postie on 24 hours a week.i absolutely loved it and remained part time for about 12 months after which full time hours were offered and i accepted.i started on a 5 rounds a week job(covering days off).at first i found learning the jobs in succession quite difficult as 3 were driving jobs in rural areas but soon got to grips with it.i then moved into another link which had only 3 jobs and you did each job for the whole week on a rotation system.i felt a little more settled and though it became more difficult was still enjoying the job. in early 2008, it was a really heavy and busy week as it was a easter bank holiday week.also there was 5 days of households to squeeze into 4 days.i made the fatefull mistake of leaving 2 2nd class letters (missorts)in the front of my pouchbag and i had forgot to check the front of my pouchbag after delivery.big mistake!next day we had a random pouch check and i was found with the items and pulled in to the office.there was no union rep available as it was his day off.so i decided to have the interview alone.i was then suspended on alleged wilfull delay of mail.i miust add that certain things i said wasnt recorded down in the minutes as there was only me and that manager present and he was recording the minutes and conducting the interview..i then had a discaplinary hearing with the area manager and following that after 4 weeks of waiting for the outcome i was subsequently sacked for willfull delay.many will say i deserved it and maybe i did but i feel i made a valid contribution,was a teamplayer,i never cut off my delivery and left it to others and usually was very conscientous.many of my former work associates feel i was harshly treated and maybe should have got away with a final warning.
what im saying is posties are under that much pressure to get the job done and in the time allocated that mistakes are made and when theyre made royal mail come down on you like a ton of bricks.they want reductions on hours and the ones they are looking at to reduce hours are the full timers and are looking for any excuse to get rid.your not valued and are just a number like most other companies.they make out modernisation is needed for which i agree,but where does common sense play its part when they are sacking people left,right and centre for any mistakes?SO ANYONE FOUND IN THE SAME POSITION AS I WAS THEN PLEASE ALWAYS TAKE A UNION REP OR A CO WORKER IN WITH YOU.

i really miss the job now and since then with the recession i have struggled to get full time permanent work.i hate royal mail and all there bullshit!
BELIAL

Post by BELIAL »

Makes you think , there's heart surgeons who make bigger f**k ups with no comeback and even some MP's who can't fill out expenses claims properly and nothing occurs :hmmmm
johnnyp

Post by johnnyp »

nickby what happened to you is a disgrace and is all that is wrong in this firm at the moment :shock: :sad:
Good luck for the future.
Post Off

Post by Post Off »

nickby wrote:A WARNING TO ALL POSTIES-i worked in the building trade for years and got fed up with working on crappy building sites and working away all the time.i was 28 years old and i really fancied a change.i wanted to breath clean air and have always enjoyed walking.so i left the big smoke in the south and decided to move back home north(in lancashire).i started in 2003 as a part time postie on 24 hours a week.i absolutely loved it and remained part time for about 12 months after which full time hours were offered and i accepted.i started on a 5 rounds a week job(covering days off).at first i found learning the jobs in succession quite difficult as 3 were driving jobs in rural areas but soon got to grips with it.i then moved into another link which had only 3 jobs and you did each job for the whole week on a rotation system.i felt a little more settled and though it became more difficult was still enjoying the job. in early 2008, it was a really heavy and busy week as it was a easter bank holiday week.also there was 5 days of households to squeeze into 4 days.i made the fatefull mistake of leaving 2 2nd class letters (missorts)in the front of my pouchbag and i had forgot to check the front of my pouchbag after delivery.big mistake!next day we had a random pouch check and i was found with the items and pulled in to the office.there was no union rep available as it was his day off.so i decided to have the interview alone.i was then suspended on alleged wilfull delay of mail.i miust add that certain things i said wasnt recorded down in the minutes as there was only me and that manager present and he was recording the minutes and conducting the interview..i then had a discaplinary hearing with the area manager and following that after 4 weeks of waiting for the outcome i was subsequently sacked for willfull delay.many will say i deserved it and maybe i did but i feel i made a valid contribution,was a teamplayer,i never cut off my delivery and left it to others and usually was very conscientous.many of my former work associates feel i was harshly treated and maybe should have got away with a final warning.
what im saying is posties are under that much pressure to get the job done and in the time allocated that mistakes are made and when theyre made royal mail come down on you like a ton of bricks.they want reductions on hours and the ones they are looking at to reduce hours are the full timers and are looking for any excuse to get rid.your not valued and are just a number like most other companies.they make out modernisation is needed for which i agree,but where does common sense play its part when they are sacking people left,right and centre for any mistakes?SO ANYONE FOUND IN THE SAME POSITION AS I WAS THEN PLEASE ALWAYS TAKE A UNION REP OR A CO WORKER IN WITH YOU.

i really miss the job now and since then with the recession i have struggled to get full time permanent work.i hate royal mail and all there bullshit!
It's not on... How the fugg could this person have been dismissed for such an 'innocent' mistake? He's a hard worker. Who the fugg was the manager responsible for dismissing him? And again, where is the fugging union in all of this?

First of all, it should not be normal practice to be interviewed by a manager in this way without having a witness. If I had anything (or knew anything) to do with our union I would demand that this interview to be null and void. It can't be up to one manager to decide (in his / her current view) what conduct code to follow.
We posties do things differently, but we still get shot at!

Our (other) men and women deserve a little more... http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
BPeters

Post by BPeters »

Joined in 1980 after being on bread van for two year. Only wanted something to do and was only gonna be ere 6 months at most. Great job back then and had twenty great years but its not same anymore
terriermad

Post by terriermad »

I joined 11 years ago as a postie, needed a job and liked being outdoors and working on my own (no bosses), liked being part of community on my walk and you get to know customers really well.Early start and early finish was best part as I have animals, dogs,horse so need daylight time for them, now am completely snookered with changed hours, better for us socially!!! how did we fall for that!!! ;liar
macabee

Post by macabee »

I joined in 1969 for the following:
Pension
Job security
Decent annual leave
Sick pay [if needed]

Took EVR 30 years later, never regretted it :cuppa
R@YAL F@IL

Post by R@YAL F@IL »

nickby wrote:A WARNING TO ALL POSTIES-i worked in the building trade for years and got fed up with working on crappy building sites and working away all the time.i was 28 years old and i really fancied a change.i wanted to breath clean air and have always enjoyed walking.so i left the big smoke in the south and decided to move back home north(in lancashire).i started in 2003 as a part time postie on 24 hours a week.i absolutely loved it and remained part time for about 12 months after which full time hours were offered and i accepted.i started on a 5 rounds a week job(covering days off).at first i found learning the jobs in succession quite difficult as 3 were driving jobs in rural areas but soon got to grips with it.i then moved into another link which had only 3 jobs and you did each job for the whole week on a rotation system.i felt a little more settled and though it became more difficult was still enjoying the job. in early 2008, it was a really heavy and busy week as it was a easter bank holiday week.also there was 5 days of households to squeeze into 4 days.i made the fatefull mistake of leaving 2 2nd class letters (missorts)in the front of my pouchbag and i had forgot to check the front of my pouchbag after delivery.big mistake!next day we had a random pouch check and i was found with the items and pulled in to the office.there was no union rep available as it was his day off.so i decided to have the interview alone.i was then suspended on alleged wilfull delay of mail.i miust add that certain things i said wasnt recorded down in the minutes as there was only me and that manager present and he was recording the minutes and conducting the interview..i then had a discaplinary hearing with the area manager and following that after 4 weeks of waiting for the outcome i was subsequently sacked for willfull delay.many will say i deserved it and maybe i did but i feel i made a valid contribution,was a teamplayer,i never cut off my delivery and left it to others and usually was very conscientous.many of my former work associates feel i was harshly treated and maybe should have got away with a final warning.

That is terrble you were sacked and an injustice, hope you find work soon. Human error can happen to anyone, looks to me they just wanted you out due to being full time :no no :no no :no no :no no :no no :no no :no no :no no :no no :no no
NO bags on shoulders please except for Moya who keeps her big fat wage packet in hers
combo_king

Post by combo_king »

left school in 2003 with not the greatest qualifications, aplied for a 3 month summer casual just as my school days were ending as i needed some sorta job for the summer before goin to college, still here neerly 9 years later still on 25 hour contract but get full time hours every week, im only 25 ive grew to hate this job in last year, trying for the buses and fire service but ill probs br a postie rest off my days like every one else who was only hear for a stop over lol
briantwigley

Post by briantwigley »

Worked for a large supermarket for 4 years before feeling I needed a change. Just started with RM and at the moment I am quite stressed out because I got a 20 minute induction then thrown into a delivery and after 3 days training I am on a duty on my own and feeling swamped... but we're so short staffed theres nothing I can do. I see everyone else doing it so quick but theres me taking 4 hours on a 3 hour duty. At the moment I dont think I will last very long but heres hoping that I will! I joined mainly because of the good pay rate for what I thought would be quite easy but at the moment I regret my decision to leave my cushy old job! Nice to have this forum to come onto and chat though it lets you see others problems and see you aren't so hard done by after all!

Cheers.
AJ1987

Post by AJ1987 »

Worked on the railways for the past 5years, last job on there was using chainsaws+brush cutters to clear trees and vegetation. Had a falling out with the boss who wouldn't know his arse from his elbow. Searched the job centre website everyday for something new and applied for almost everything I could find, needs must because got a 6month old nipper. Got called for an interview and got a conditional offer! Just waiting for a start now, bit nervous tho after reading the majority of peoples posts coz no one seems to like the job!