ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What made you join the Royal Mail?

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
clashcityrocker

Re: What made you join the Royal Mail?

Post by clashcityrocker »

I'd worked on the xmas post before and really enjoyed it so when I found myself "between jobs" it seemed natural and right to return to the job.
For all the difficulties over the past few years it is still a great job. I wouldn't leave for the world. ( Unless they sack me which is a distinct possibility)
Why not phone up Robin Hood

Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

I can only echo many of the earlier comments ;
Mostly working outdoors, much of it walking and out in the country,
Not being watched over,
Providing a service to the community,
Part of a historic, respected institution,
Early start and finish times,
Decent pay for what is basically an unskilled job,
Personal pride in doing a job well,
and very, very different from a previous job of thirty years that i should have left much earlier.
Stormproof

Post by Stormproof »

Lounge Lizard wrote:I can only echo many of the earlier comments ;
Not being watched over,
I agree, though now none of those apply :cry
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets

Illegitimi non carborundum
gj1023
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by gj1023 »

I joined because my dad was a postman, together we have done around 80 odd years service between us. I liked the idea of being outside and being my own person. From about when I was 13 this was the job I was going to do, I did no exams at school and left school asap in March 1975 and I joined on 7th April 1975 at 6 am as a Telegram boy. I was proud to work for the GPO and the public service we provided. In them days it meant something to be a public servent , it was a tag you wore with pride. You did your job as it was supposed to be done, with common sence and the public in mind. Not rules , rules and more stupid rules.

Now 35 year later, I will glad to leave, if I get offered Ill health retirement that I hope for. The job now is not recognisable to anyone who left five years ago , let alone 10-20 years ago. The last good public service has been taken apart and put on the road to nowhere . I am glad in one way, my dad passed away a few years ago, as he would be so upset to see the state of RM and the job of Postman/women, ops sorry OPG ?? now. You use to have to work your way up, Postman, temp PHG, PHG, Temp JV , JV. That way you knew the job inside out, you could not con a JV, you may not like them , but you respected them as they had been on the job for years . Nowadays you get these dipsticks who suddenly appear out of nowhere and say I am a Manager , so you a get someone who has been in job five mins, telling a 30 year man how to do his job ??? An the public wonder why Managers are not respected now. Money is what matters now not Public Service, shame on you RM.
Last edited by gj1023 on 02 Mar 2010, 22:05, edited 2 times in total.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Stormproof wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:I can only echo many of the earlier comments ;
Not being watched over,
I agree, though now none of those apply :cry
Well, yes, or if they do apply still it's not to the extent of in the past. I think those most dissatisfied with the job are those that's worked for RM the longest and have seen the greatest decline, and perhaps have never known other employment. Me though, a relative newcomer without experience of the good old days , still sees it as a lot better than some of the jobs I've done in the past. I know it goes a bit against the grain on here to be quite content working for RM, but surely that's what such a forum is for, a variety of views and opinions. In ten years time though I might be just as jaded as the rest of you on here. :Very Happy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I think content is a good description for me. I am happy enough to stay working for RM but I see the flaws in its culture just as I do in the CWU. I used to be proud to work for RM and I still am to some extent just not quite as much as when I started, weirdly though my pride in the CWU although it has faltered somewhat, its decline is not as deep as that of RMs.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

Money. :Very Happy
Pleidiol Wyf I'm Gwlad’
nationwide

Post by nationwide »

1. HOURS.
2. MONEY.
3. BEING ABLE TO BE AT HOME FOR MY KIDS WHEN THEY ARRIVE FROM SCHOOL.
4. GOOD PENSION.
5.FAMILY FRIENDLY.

Unfortunately now I can only agree with one of these 5 criteria No.2 MONEYas for the rest well they seem to be falling by the wayside as is my wanting to go to work in a morning.WHAT A SHAMBLES!!.............................................................OH AND THANKYOU VERY MUCH RM.
plainpat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Location: You can't get any further east in the UK without going for a swim in the North Sea

Post by plainpat »

When I was made redundant in the late '80s I spent 3 years working, part voluntarily, part paid, for a local childrens charity driving a Playbus around the rural areas running and setting up ongoing after school/holiday playschemes etc.

So when it was forced to close due to lack of finance I naturally thought I would apply to the local bus company, as well as other companies, one of whom was Royal Mail.

I actually got offered a job with RM the day after the bus company did the same. Both companies paid roughly the same basic, but with the bus company you were expected to work early/late shifts during the week as well as Saturdays, and some Sunday shifts, within that basic. With RM of course you got the Saturday Supplement and proper overtime on a Sunday as well as the early start allowances etc.

That's why I chose RM :arrrghhh
peppapig

Post by peppapig »

i joined 14 years ago this July as a cadet, with the promise of training in most aspects of the job.....still waiting, its my friends at work that make it a laugh to get you through the day
belle smith

Post by belle smith »

should we start a new thread "what finally drove you out of Royal Mail? :Boo hoo!
Stormproof

Post by Stormproof »

belle smith wrote:should we start a new thread "what finally drove you out of Royal Mail? :Boo hoo!
Does Postman have enough bandwidth for that thread?
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets

Illegitimi non carborundum
youwot!!!!!
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by youwot!!!!! »

for me it was a family reason.
my dad and uncle both worked for royal mail so i thought i would do a few years and move on!!!started as a cadet and used to quite enjoy the freedom we had back then when you worked outdoors with no manager on your back even though managers were a hell of a lot better then than the morons we are lumbered with nowadays.after 3 years i was married with a large mortgage and no propects of a better job so i stayed and 28 years later am i still stuck here.

GOD HOW I MISS THE OLD DAYS :sad:
who the hell invests £2 billion into a servic and makes it worse?????????????
you really couldn't make it up!!!!!!!!!!!
sidewinder
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by sidewinder »

Took redundacy from Telecom after quite a few years.I started when it was post office phones! and as the areas you had to cover were getting bigger(sound famililar?) and the practise of working 4 out of the 7 10hr days(rm has taken nearly 15 years to catch up!)I jacked it in.Took R.M as a stop gap and still here!
Used to love the 5am starts and the early Saturday finishes.
cookiedog

Post by cookiedog »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I joined for a variety of reasons, one of which I always wanted to be a postman since being a kid. However, I actually joined about 8 years after being made redundant from the forces (the peace dividend :left: ) after working in a call centre and getting stressed out I decided to try and become a postie.

The main reasons for being a postie for me were

1. Job security.
2. Being a member of a team, yet being able to working alone.
3. Providing a service.
4. Being part of a community.
5. Personal Responsibility.
6. Being trusted both in the application of work and in how hard I actually do it.
7. Secure Pension.
8. Reasonable wage. (I only started 7 years ago)
9. Job satisfaction.
10. Personal Pride in doing a hard physical job well.

Its a sad indictment that in 7 years Nos 1,6,7,8,9 are gone and that 2,3,4, are under extreme pressure still I have 5 and 10 left :Very Happy
Agree entirely with this ,after 25 years service ,I feel utterly utterly betrayed,the years of low pay at the start of RM career,I actually took a pay cut to join a supposed decent company,I was instilled with the public service ethic,by my fellow posties,the management have always been crap!