ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What made you join the Royal Mail?

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

I do get nostalgic about the 80s and 90s when the job was great and the work easy enough, I remember shortly after I started, we have the DRAS (Difficult to Recruit Area Supplement) dispute as Royal Mail was paying supplements to post staff in London and South East where they found it hard to retain staff as there were better paid jobs on offer, this was the 80s when the economy boomed and other companies needed staff, the rest of the UK wasn't happy about it and had a strike which evolved into other to other greviences, it was the first time posties had a strike since 1971, it made big news. I particularly remembered Lorraine Kelly as young news reporter :Very Happy

32 years later I'm still in and just marking time til retirement.

I'm amazed the thread is still ongoing, since I last commented, the job has changed considerably, people havent, job for life has gone now tho, which was the main draw when I joined up, especially during turbulent financial crash that inevitably followed the 80s boom years.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.

capricorn64

Post by capricorn64 »

Having left coming up for four years ago I can only tell you what I miss The banter,Early finishes,Six weeks paid holiday,Overtime and being out in the fresh air without someone or cameras watching my every move!!!
Expostie

Re: What made you join the Royal Mail?

Post by Expostie »

A mate I worked with in a bar/café got a job in a mails centre. Told me how cushy it was and the overtime so I applied. Didn’t realise I applied for delivery and started at 05:00 6 days a week.