ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dodging ships and dangerous waters - the long-lost role of London’s River Postmen

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Dodging ships and dangerous waters - the long-lost role of London’s River Postmen

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/10/dodging- ... -19617884/

The work of these brave men – as well as the scandals – have now been brought to life in an London exhibition (Picture: The Postal Museum)
While Amazon makes drone deliveries in the States and many of us in the UK receive items bought online the same day, it’s hard to imagine a postal service that relied on a pair of oars and a river.

However, at at the start of the 19th century, many Londoners did just that.

In 1800, a waterman named William Simpson was employed to deliver mail to the many barges and ships that moored on the River Thames. It was a dangerous job and Simpson’s tiny skiff offered little protection from collision with boats and barges – or the enormous propellers of huge ships travelling from international waters.

The Thames in those days was lively and overcrowded with houseboats, barges, sailing vessels and other river-dwellers. Simpson’s role became a vital one in the life of the river, and it was passed down from father to son across seven generations and two families.

The work of these brave men – as well as the scandals – have now been brought to life at London’s Postal Museum after the grandson of the last River Postman donated his family letters and photos.

‘It was my intention to create a display in the museum on this fascinating subject, and it was clear that Clifford – the youngest Grandson of Herbert Lionel Evans, the last Thames River Postman – had a lot of great content,’ explains Stuart Aiken, Curator at The Postal Museum.

‘Clifford donated a wealth of family history material to the museum, which has helped us to understand and tell this story in our exhibitions in a personal way.’

The River Postman was responsible for delivering and collecting letters from the various vessels on the river, delivering goods and occasionally ferrying people. Operating on the river with its many dangers was no ordinary postal round however. They had to manage the tide, winds, cold and fog – not to mention the ships and barges – making this a perilous task and one that required high levels of skill (Picture: The Postal Museum)

The first River Postman, William Simpson, initiated the job of River Postman. He sent a letter, backed, and signed by many merchants, captains and owners, to the Post Office claiming that it would ‘greatly facilitate business’ for this role to exist. Here, later River Postman George Henry Evans is pictured in the skiff in which the postmen navigated the choppy waters of the Thames (Picture: The Postal Museum)
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Dodging ships and dangerous waters - the long-lost role of London’s River Postmen

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

story continues at link above
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."