ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

When were the red shirts introduced?

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
Alan2021

When were the red shirts introduced?

Post by Alan2021 »

Hi all just wondering when did the red shirts first arrive?

Woody Guthrie

Re: When were the red shirts introduced?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

I think around 2009/10 with the business transformation revisions and the introduction of shared vans.
Some may have had them earlier through trials.
Only dead fish follow the current
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 13:00
I think around 2009/10 with the business transformation revisions and the introduction of shared vans.
Some may have had them earlier through trials.
Your memory is not failing you Woody

viewtopic.php?t=11422
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
postieblueshirt

Post by postieblueshirt »

Think initially they were for indoor staff only then we all got them.
postieaw11

Post by postieaw11 »

Way before 2009-10 as stated above, I had them back in 2006. The red fleeces etc came in after the 2009 strikes.
Skuse
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by Skuse »

I hate the red fleeces and wear my own from a well known outdoor brand which is way more comfy and micro fleece too and don’t start me on the shorts which are way too long and the cheapo polo shirts , however the NEW uniform looks good and I’m looking forward to getting it next year , I really miss the old blue uniform with the Ben Sherman shirts with the piping and the Clarks shoes but it must have cost a fortune but my Nan used to shop how smart I looked in it and she was from the WW2 era so it must have been good 😊
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Skuse wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 10:22
I really miss the old blue uniform with the Ben Sherman shirts with the piping and the Clarks shoes but it must have cost a fortune but my Nan used to shop how smart I looked in it and she was from the WW2 era so it must have been good 😊
I agree we used to get much smarter uniform (still using the Blue Harrington Jacket)! :shock:

But remember, "Your equipment is being supplied by the Lowest Bidder". :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

It's weird and it's only when you're older and on the job longer that you now feel a bit pissed that you previously threw away old uniform styles. :d'oh!
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

POSTMAN wrote:
31 Oct 2021, 15:08
It's weird and it's only when you're older and on the job longer that you now feel a bit pissed that you previously threw away old uniform styles. :d'oh!
Well I've still got one of those Crappy Red Fleeces and Useless Lightweight "Showerproof" Coat in the attic (still in plastic bags) you can have them if you want them? I'm going to have a good clean out when the latest load of crap uniform turns up. We were told the idea of ordering EVERYTHING was to try it on.... and if we didn't like it return it! :shock:

So the DOMs obviously going to be knee deep in unwanted items of Red Kit in the New Year. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
postslippete

Post by postslippete »

We all look like tramps now with this new uniform. Standards really started to slip when Royal Mail sent out people delivering mail with jeans, white trainers and just a hi-vi as uniform.

The old uniform got us respect with the public.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
swpostie

Post by swpostie »

I remember seeing the red polo shirts in the uniform list - but they were only available to indoor staff as they weren’t considered smart enough for customer facing roles…

And then, around 2009/10 they suddenly WERE! 🙄

I joined in 2004 and was proud to wear the “blue kit”…

The Harrington jacket was great!

I’d loved to have joined earlier, with the military-style caps and the respect, and standards…

We look very casual now, and our service is very casual…
Mr Rush

Post by Mr Rush »

We were just talking about the blue uniforms this morning. I wish I had ordered another fleece and non-unisex shirts with the button-down collars before the red style came in. Can't get the old uniform, can't get the new uniform. Stranded inbetween with a deteriorating 2010s uniform.
Any Questions?
Yeah, how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fly-catchers »

Now I have retired I am finding my old 2014 grey trousers excellent to wear in the garden or on very muddy walks! Wished I had ordered more before I left!
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

fly-catchers wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 23:21
Now I have retired I am finding my old 2014 grey trousers excellent to wear in the garden or on very muddy walks! Wished I had ordered more before I left!
Isn't returning all uniform part of your obligations when leaving?
Only dead fish follow the current
vmaxv4

Post by vmaxv4 »

Mr Rush wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 19:07
We were just talking about the blue uniforms this morning. I wish I had ordered another fleece and non-unisex shirts with the button-down collars before the red style came in. Can't get the old uniform, can't get the new uniform. Stranded inbetween with a deteriorating 2010s uniform.
Still wear my pre unisex shirts. When everyone was ditching it for polo shirts I raided the bin & got all those still in packaging.
There was still some with the “ what looked like the Spain flag” in there.. :dance