ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sources for info on postal delivery in 1920s?

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
Genial Logist

Sources for info on postal delivery in 1920s?

Post by Genial Logist »

Hi. Anyone know any forums where postal history is discussed, especially delivery?

I found one some years back where retired mail staff shared memories and info, some historical. Now I have enough facts to ask them a question, I can't find the site. Doesn't look like RMC judging by the topic list here.

My grandad died 100 years ago this summer. (TB finished what WW1 started). Tracing his life story for (even) older relatives, I obtained his death certificate which lists his occupation as "Motor Mail Van Driver". This sort of fits the family legend that he drove a red Post Office van.

Yet he is isn't on the list of employees in the "Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737-1969" searchable on Ancestry co uk. (I bet one or two older RMC members are!)

I doubt there was much private mail or parcel delivery in the 1920's, so it would be good to hear from anyone with knowledge of the period.

SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Sources for info on postal delivery in 1920s?

Post by SpacePhoenix »

The Postal Museum (https://www.postalmuseum.org/) might have some info.

If you know where he worked/lived then maybe the local council at that location might be able to point you in the direction of some local archives. Also look for any Facebook groups that cover the area