ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starter in January!

Introduce yourself to the RMC community.Introductions only please, use the other forums for your query if you have one. This is an open forum.
Runnerdan

New starter in January!

Post by Runnerdan »

Good evening all,

Im starting as a postman on January 4th, really looking forward to it. Im a long distance runner so love being outdoors in all weathers, so hopefully this job will suit me really well.
Im starting on a 25 hour contract which I think is normal for newbies, I'm just wondering how far into training I need to get until I can start picking up extra as id happily work more. Or is this just dependant on which DO your at?

Many Thanks
Dan

2yearpostie

Re: New starter in January!

Post by 2yearpostie »

within the first 2 hours is normal in most offices!
Runnerdan

Post by Runnerdan »

okay... well I won't complain about that tbh!!
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

2 hours is also the average amount of training you will get!

If you were joining our office then overtime would probably be offered as soon as you seem to have remotely grasped the basics of the job and have passed the driving assessment.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
yellowbelly

Post by yellowbelly »

But don't be running around on your walk, you won't get any thanks!!

OT should be available but make sure you're happy with what you're tasked to do first, there's a reason
you're on a 25 hr contract and it's so RM can save money when the work 'isn't there' but when the work
IS there you'll be expected to complete it whether it's achievable in 25hrs or not!
blacov

Post by blacov »

There is another important thing you absolutely have to be on top with. Create a file on your computer or a memo in your phone, or just write every hour and minute of all the overtime you do.

I am not saying it is going to happen to you but chances are quite high it will and you will be missing some hours on your payslip. Remember any overtime done in week 1 are paid on Friday next week.

If you keep track of your hours carefully and they happen to be short waste no time informing your DOM (manager running the office). If he continues to mess about your hours I would not bother doing any overtime. Once they know you are monitoring your hours properly they probably won't mess your pay if they need your commitment.
Runnerdan

Post by Runnerdan »

Thanks for the heads up, appreciate it! Will make sure I keep record of everything I do.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

Make sure someone shows you where and how to claim for overtime, then claim it at the end of every day.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
robbertwhitton

Post by robbertwhitton »

Long distance runner? Perfect! Only advice don’t be concerned if you start out with good intentions to do the job properly, and find you don’t have time to complete it’s very common,good luck my friend,it is a good crack with the right people and managed correctly,otherwise it can be a gutty slog and being shafted from every angle.
Anguspeace

Post by Anguspeace »

It’s a good job, especially given the current employment climate! Hope you enjoy it.
Parmey888

Post by Parmey888 »

I started about a year ago and was also a runner.Just dont go mad walking overly fast because Im now already feeling a fair bit of foot pain if im not careful.I dont run now cos I cant do all this walking and run.It would be too much.
Long story short,after a year or so of 14 miles almost everyday you will start to ache.I mean painkiller aching! So just go at a sensible pace.