ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What the hell did I get myself into?!??!

Introduce yourself to the RMC community.Introductions only please, use the other forums for your query if you have one. This is an open forum.
Postman Matt

Post by Postman Matt »

Well, I've been in it two days so far, and it's a MASSIVE eye opener to what the job entails - I, like most others, thought the Postie just turned up at the crack of dawn, grabbed a few mail sacks and drive off with a cat for company. I didn't know anything about the mechs, throwing out onto frames, bundles, loops, D2D, etc. Done two half walks so far, which were easy in a way, but also hard as there really is loads you don't think about and loads you need to consider.

So far I haven't had the piss taken by management, but then I've only been there two days. I spent the day with a coach today, and hopefully will be again tomorrow, but she's going onto nights soon, so my plan of shadowing her for the next couple weeks certainly isn't going to happen. Fingers crossed she'll give me a crash course on the frame tomorrow, as I want to be better and faster at that.

I just hope that if I put the effort in for the next 12-14 weeks, it won't be in vain as I really need to step up onto the higher pound-per-hour rate, as the agency rate isn't sustainable for me.

boltsfanuk

Post by boltsfanuk »

Aus10 wrote:Have been on the job a few weeks. Quickly realised it was NOT the 5hr job advertised. I'm struggling to finish on time and am often back at the office after it has been locked up or close to that time. I've developed a terrible pain in my heel and I'm so tired when I get home that I'm in bed by 8 or 9 pm. Heck, I ain't THAT old as yet!

I dread going to work, feel frustrated and discouraged - especially on a new walk - and am just basically overwhelmed by the volume of mail, parcels, d2d we're expected to deliver. In that regard, Wednesdays are hellish! Not to mention the pressure of getting Specials delivered on time.

Already I am thinking of leaving. On the one hand, it's great being outdoors and working on my own; I like being busy and am happy to earn but on the other hand, is it worth it if the job fills me with despair and anxiety; leaves me too tired and stressed to enjoy evenings with my family?

I feel disappointed in myself that I can't seem to 'come up to scratch,' and ashamed that I want to quit/leave especially when most posties at my DO seem to be ever so resilient despite the hardships of the job/workplace. I also don't want to disappoint my very supportive spouse.

On a light day I can cope as it is easier. I finish before the office closes and, nevermind what the weather is, like being out, having a sense of purpose as I get my deliveries done. But such days are few :sad:

The plan is to try and stick it out until my contract expires. I like earning but no amount of money is worth it if I'm left feeling the way I do at the end of the day.

I was really excited to work for Royal Mail but the reality certainly does not in any way match my (naive?!) expectations.
Welcome to Royal Mail - stick with it and you'll be fine mate :) I started in November last year and was thrown into the hell that is Christmas
MissyMoo182

Re: What the hell did I get myself into?!??!

Post by MissyMoo182 »

Hi all have to be honest I don't think I can take much more of this I'm holding everyone up when I work with them. The guy I was working with today says I make it look more difficult than what it actually is by the way I hold things but I generally can't hold the mail any other way I feel I need an extra pair of hands growing out of me to cope with pda, the mail and parcels.
Also sorting the mail this morning I slowed up a bit to try to make sure It was right, but then the managers come up and told me I need to be quicker I should be out, I am told by other workers to take my time with sorting makes it easier when your out. I just feel totally overwhelmed with it all and feel I will never get to grips with it, I never get time to eat my lunch as I'm so far behind the other guy, I don't know why I find this job so difficult it's only letters and parcels after all, surley I'm not the only one who fills like this.
livewirer

Post by livewirer »

MissyMoo182 wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 16:59
The guy I was working with today says I make it look more difficult than what it actually is by the way I hold things but I generally can't hold the mail any other way I feel I need an extra pair of hands growing out of me to cope with pda, the mail and parcels.
Also sorting the mail this morning I slowed up a bit to try to make sure It was right, but then the managers come up and told me I need to be quicker I should be out, I am told by other workers to take my time with sorting makes it easier when your out.
As a Christmas casual I have done very little scanning so far.
In the induction scanning video you can see that people set up their finger scanning in 2 ways. The manager I spoke to says he personally prefers to use the finger scanner + pda rather than the trigger type pda.
In the video you can see the lady picks up the items with her left hand, scans the 2D code with her right hand then throws the packet with her right hand.
One guy sets up the finger scanner for left hand use, picks up the item with his right hand, scans with left hand and throws with right hand.
Watch here:
https://youtu.be/IvoffXtivIM
MissyMoo182

Post by MissyMoo182 »

These look a lot easier to manage, I've not seen any at our delievery office but will ask thank you.
donbutterfield1

Post by donbutterfield1 »

Just read your post, I hope that you will get there. Getting out on a round will improve your fitness. You will get faster overtime as others have said. You clearly are conscientious as you want to do a good job and have been putting in extra hours.

I work part-time in the sorting office but am very tempted to see if I can get out there and do a walking post round.
SD66
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by SD66 »

i was the opposite but i think thats because me previous job was so stressful

i was an estate agent for 20 years and in 2019 got meningitis. took me 8 months to get over it and lost me job but applied for other jobs while at home.

when the post office job came along i applied and amazingly i got it and i loved it. First thing i noticed though was it was a shambles and was badly run which led to unhappy postmen and women. Loads of mail backed up and people put on walks they’d never done and expected to do it quickly. Vans broken or not even enough vans for the deliveries and people using their cars.

i quickly understood the only real help i’d get was from other posties. I was eventually put on driving as one of the drivers was off long term sick but after 2 years became sick again with covid and began having dizzy spells and after a while was medically retired

i was devastated and lost the job.

its a uphill battle for posties. one step forward , two steps back.

It was a great job with great posties and i loved it and wish i’d been doing it like me brother in law for years.

My advice for what its worth is just stick at it and you’ll eventually get used to it. my feet, arms and back hurt to begin with but eventually they didn’t

hope everything turns out ok.
Markhamer

Post by Markhamer »

Hello
Can Identify with comments made regarding not feeling good enough and not competent I have to try harder putting myself under pressure so to be the best I can the thoughts that spin through my mind"your not a postman" it's easy for someone to say just do your best but sometimes it's not enough