ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hello to RoyalMailChat, from me!

Introduce yourself to the RMC community.Introductions only please, use the other forums for your query if you have one. This is an open forum.
KayGeeExOPG

Hello to RoyalMailChat, from me!

Post by KayGeeExOPG »

This is a quick hello to everyone on this forum, from me! I'm KayGee (KG), an ex OPG for RM.

Introduce myself?? OK. :)

I just joined this forum for the first time, a few moments ago, after discovering this website/forum for the first time earlier today, and with fresh interest in Royal Mail due to recent events, both as national news, and personal problems (yet again!) with my own postal items. Some years ago, I was a FT OPG working over 50hrs per week, every week, at a now closed down Mail Centre, (processing mail on a 'secondary sorting roads' for dispatch to the busy warehouse of awaiting trucks)! Work that kept you very fit and very active, both physically and mentally, that's for sure! If I do say so myself, I was among those who worked particularly hard and loyal for RM, shifting my workload very accurately and fast. (I sometimes reflect back on those years, and wonder if maybe I worked a little too hard for RM management!?) I am well aware, of just how hard many employees work and dedicate, to RM operations, to keep what is an important national service that so many depend on, including the blind (I have worked for the RNIB), the deaf, other essential welfare charities, our armed forces, important legal services, and governmental and banking services (credit cards and passports don't travel without RM!). I still very much believe in the importance of a national postal system. Anyways ..due to site closure, I accepted VR after many years of service, and also relocated with family in another part of the UK. This is when my life took a bit of a sharp corner, as I remained unemployed for a while...

I've been through one heck of a personal journey, and suffered much, since then. I very nearly 'flew across the pond' to Canada, twice, a country I have long admired, considering working for Canada Post... but in the end, stayed in Britain! I'm not a postal worker anymore, I now have a knowledgeable interest in psychology, but I am also quite a big user of RM services....including a handful of ink pen pals I send letters to (I like to do things the old fashioned way sometimes! I don't like modern technology much, and come from a generation who actually know how to use an ink pen, and send parcels correctly!)

I'm now living in rural Somerset, greying in my 50's, help care for elderly parents, and 'just use Royal Mail these days'. But I'm still very interested in how things run (if/when they do), and so joined this forum today. I am not in contact with anybody whatsoever, who 'I used to work with at RM, back in my good ol' days', but that is not why I have joined this forum. I'm simply interested in how RM is running these days.

Well, how's that for an introduction, is that enough? :wave Have a good day everyone, and keep our national service alive and running!
KG. :thumbup
Last edited by KayGeeExOPG on 25 Jan 2024, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: Hello to RoyalMailChat, from me!

Post by baldrick »

Hi KayGeeExOPG! Welcome to the forum. I also used to work at an MC, and retired 10 years ago. I like to read this forum to keep up with how things are going in RM - it seems to be continuously downhill. I feel sorry for the people still working there, but I guess it's how things are generally in the UK now.
KayGeeExOPG

Post by KayGeeExOPG »

Hello there Baldrick, yes sadly this is true it seems, slowly spiralling downwards, partly due to technological changes (bad), partly due to social changes of attitude, partly due to dreadful mismanagement and greed, but I think also partly due to the dreadful aftereffects of the Covid19 pandemic (inc deaths and illnesses of some staff, and their family/loved ones) which is a factor that may have been forgotten amongst all the financial and political dust. After all, RM staff are human beings with emotions and considerations of their own. (And God bless all those who have been affected by it).

Just out of interest, which MC did you work at Baldrick?
KG.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by baldrick »

I worked at Mount Pleasant. London for 32 years.