ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hi Folks

Introduce yourself to the RMC community.Introductions only please, use the other forums for your query if you have one. This is an open forum.
Smithy1973!

Hi Folks

Post by Smithy1973! »

Hi Everyone :wave
Just thought I’d pop on and say hello.

I start tomorrow as a Postie.
Induction online and in DO from Tuesday - these threads have been super useful so thanks for that!

On first day in DO any tips what to take with me? Like rucksack 🎒 with rainproof in it? Phone? Pen?
Apologies if seen as daft question but total novice here

Thanks all!!

SMS1969

Re: Hi Folks

Post by SMS1969 »

Hi

I take to work three pens, in case any stop working when you are out. A rucksack with waterproofs, food and water- you can dehydrate in this job fairly quickly. Make sure you know where the toilet stops are on your route. Have an adequate supply of 739 cards, you fill these in if the person is out that you are delivering a parcel/packet to.
On the first day in the DO you might be watching Health & safety videos and other mind numbing stuff- keep the coffee supplies to hand!
Good luck.
Smithy1973!

Post by Smithy1973! »

Really appreciate that!!

Thanks so much! :thumbup
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by fb1969 »

Don't wear jeans - if you have loose fitting trousers or knee length shorts, with a few pockets, then you'll be better wearing them. Comfortable shoes. Phone is up to you, its handy to contact a colleague but don't let RM think it is for their use!
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Smithy1973!

Post by Smithy1973! »

Much appreciated :thumbup
Adison

Post by Adison »

Hey!!!

Welcome, I always have a bag.. initially mine was basically a survival kit 🤣

To start off with I would recommend that you have plenty of plasters.. for both your feet and your hands!! My feet were more or less fine, but my hands were terrible, they soon toughened out though.

-Hand sanitiser
-Paracetamol
- Water
Waterproof trousers, I grabbed some for about £7 which have been a lifesaver you know never when you’ll be caught in it. RM do provide these over trousers (they are massive) and not that waterproof!

-Snacks, I would also recommend a couple of easy snacks that you can eat on the go, you really do need a boost when you first start.

Also there are lots of good tips and advice under the new starter thread on here, if you’ve not had a look on there I would suggest doing that!

Wishing you all the best in your first week and in your new role. Let us know how you get on.
Smithy1973!

Post by Smithy1973! »

:Very Happy
Amazing! Noted and in the rucksack 🎒

thanks
StevenNelson23

Post by StevenNelson23 »

I would start by advising you to stock up on plenty of plasters for both your hands and feet! My hands were bad, but they soon grew tougher. My feet were generally good.