ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hello from me!

Introduce yourself to the RMC community.Introductions only please, use the other forums for your query if you have one. This is an open forum.
MissShrews

Hello from me!

Post by MissShrews »

Hello! I’ve recently accepted a job offer to start as a postwoman with driving, to start in early November. I’m really excited for a big career change, but also naturally nervous.

I’ve been a bit of a lurker here for a while, gathering info on what to expect (and what not to :wink: ). I’m really glad I found this forum - You’ll be sure to find me in the new starters threads imminently!

:wave

Db2012

Re: Hello from me!

Post by Db2012 »

Hey I start early November too. Really looking forward to it as well.
Adison

Post by Adison »

Heyyy!! I’ll also be starting in November :-)
Db2012

Post by Db2012 »

MissShrews wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 11:20
Hello! I’ve recently accepted a job offer to start as a postwoman with driving, to start in early November. I’m really excited for a big career change, but also naturally nervous.

I’ve been a bit of a lurker here for a while, gathering info on what to expect (and what not to :wink: ). I’m really glad I found this forum - You’ll be sure to find me in the new starters threads imminently!

Can I ask what details you had to fill in for the vetting. I’m waiting for hr to get back to me as the recruiter was waiting for some email from someone else :roll:
MissShrews

Post by MissShrews »

Db2012 wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 16:08
MissShrews wrote:

Can I ask what details you had to fill in for the vetting. I’m waiting for hr to get back to me as the recruiter was waiting for some email from someone else :roll:
Hey! I had to give a code from the DVLA to access my driving licence, and give all my previous addresses/employers (for the last 5 years). I believe they also did a criminal record check.

It was really quick - I gave all the info asked for and heard back that I had passed the checks about 48 hours later.
Db2012

Post by Db2012 »

MissShrews wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 17:18
Db2012 wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 16:08
MissShrews wrote:

Hey! I had to give a code from the DVLA to access my driving licence, and give all my previous addresses/employers (for the last 5 years). I believe they also did a criminal record check.

It was really quick - I gave all the info asked for and heard back that I had passed the checks about 48 hours later.
Oh that’s great to know mine should be okay been in the same job for the last 5 years and 10 years in the job before that and no criminal record. How many hours have you been given?
starlett

Post by starlett »

Hi!
Congratulations on getting the job, I've got an interview on Tuesday for Postie with Driving :Very Happy
I've been reading quite a bit on the Forums too to get an idea of the job but have mostly ended up seeing all the gripes people have (as with all jobs i guess!) Although It's good to hear what goes on reality, just thinking it's a shame there aren't more positive things mentioned as reading some of the threads I was considering cancelling my interview!
Just out of interest what are your contracted hours? and did you get a hint about the amount of over time up for grabs when you went for your interview- sorry if that's nosy feel free to tell me to mind my own business!
But anyway congrats again! :wave
ssdd

Post by ssdd »

starlett wrote:
17 Oct 2021, 22:39
Hi!
Congratulations on getting the job, I've got an interview on Tuesday for Postie with Driving :Very Happy
I've been reading quite a bit on the Forums too to get an idea of the job but have mostly ended up seeing all the gripes people have (as with all jobs i guess!) Although It's good to hear what goes on reality, just thinking it's a shame there aren't more positive things mentioned as reading some of the threads I was considering cancelling my interview!
Just out of interest what are your contracted hours? and did you get a hint about the amount of over time up for grabs when you went for your interview- sorry if that's nosy feel free to tell me to mind my own business!
There should be a disclaimer on this site saying something like "the views contained herein do not necessarily reflect the views of the entire workforce". Not every office is experiencing the level of difficulties that are being highlighted. Just something to bear in mind. And welcome to all you new starts.
Dorset Plodder

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Congratulations to all you New Starters, not only on getting the job, but on discovering RMC! :thumbup

If you search the Forum, Postman has put up a Stickie up for New Starters. (new starters forum) It contains answers to most of the questions you are bound to ask. I'm sure we don't mind answering any questions, but it always seems every new starter seems to face the same problems. :hmmmm

Good Luck. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
MissShrews

Post by MissShrews »

starlett wrote:
Hi!
Hey! I don’t mind at all.

I’m on a 20 hour 12 month contract - my interview was very much based around my flexibility to work overtime (which I can happily do) and my interviewer said there is more than enough available.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

MissShrews wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 22:56
starlett wrote:
Hi!

I’m on a 20 hour 12 month contract - my interview was very much based around my flexibility to work overtime (which I can happily do) and my interviewer said there is more than enough available.
Why can't I sit in on these interviews? :silenced
Zareena your thoughts, or is it too early for things to be normal?
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
MissShrews

Post by MissShrews »

POSTMAN wrote:
19 Oct 2021, 19:43
MissShrews wrote:
starlett wrote:
Hi!

Why can't I sit in on these interviews? :silenced
Zareena your thoughts, or is it too early for things to be normal?
I’d have much preferred something permanent with more hours if I’m honest! I just took what I could get!
starlett

Post by starlett »

MissShrews wrote:
starlett wrote:
Hi!

That's great thank you, think we are joining at the right time of year to get over time any way!
Hope all goes well! :thumbup