ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starter (Pertemps)

Introduce yourself to the RMC community.Introductions only please, use the other forums for your query if you have one. This is an open forum.
ChrisP69

New starter (Pertemps)

Post by ChrisP69 »

Hello folks
I’ve just completed my first week as an agency postman.
I’ve helped on a different round every day (apart from one that I did two days running).
Because of this, I’m a little slower than the regular guy I’m working with because I don’t know the route.
They’ve been patient and said that it doesn’t matter, but I know they want to get finished and go home as quickly as possible.
I’m finding it really frustrating because I’m enjoying the job itself, but I really have been ‘chucked in at the deep end’.
Is this normal, and would it change at all if I were to get taken on by Royal Mail? There are some vacancies at my depot.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and also any other newbies with a similar experience.
Cheers, Chris.

POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: New starter (Pertemps)

Post by POSTMAN »

Welcome mate, have a look in our new starters forum for tips, good luck.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Foxel

Re: New starter (Pertemps)

Post by Foxel »

Hi Chris,

I've been a temp since January and I can confirm it is normal.

All the training we were given was a few hours of videos about avoiding cracked pavements and loose dogs. On the first day we were sent out to do parcels, in a van by ourselves. Covid restrictions meant one person per van and that time parcel levels were through the roof. (They have not improved much). The first few days were hard but soon it was okay, the job itself is pretty easy, but the managers do like to put as much as they can on you, especially as a temp. As soon as I was comfortable with my abilities, I was happy to take things back if I was running out of time. I was finishing shifts around 8pm. The start time was normally 2pm because of waiting for a van but that gradually because 7am. I've worked across 5 different depos and probably 10 different postcodes, while most of the permanent staff haven't done more than one.

Since working with staff who have been on the same round for 15 years, you learn more in a day than you do in 6 months on your own. Their round knowledge (which way gates open, who to leave parcels with, were flat 180a is, etc...) is impossible to keep up with so don't beat yourself up, just keep the mistakes down and the management will be happy.

The money is really good for agency and does go up after you have been there for a while. I've found it easy to request days off (basically I tell them) and have holidays paid through the agency. And If you don't mind the work you can really earn a good wage.

On the downside no so long ago, without notice, all agency staff were cancelled. For about 6 weeks. Because of that I am being taken on, on a 24 hour contract, I'll be paid a lot less but hopefully will be on the same route and be able to get it done in a comfortable yet fast time. Getting finished fast isn't the benefit it once was though as we are now seeing people being sent back out, getting sent out with lapse rounds, and the parcel levels are just too much.