ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starter! Worried about mail sorting?

Introduce yourself to the RMC community.Introductions only please, use the other forums for your query if you have one. This is an open forum.
Jmartindale130

New starter! Worried about mail sorting?

Post by Jmartindale130 »

Hi all!

Just had my first day in the delivery office shadowing a postie, not much has been explained in terms of the mail sorting and I know its only my first day but it all looks a little confusing!

Really enjoyed going out and doing the route with him (had to follow in my car as can't share van) and looking forward to tomorrow

Just hope I can get my head around the sorting

Cheers

Woody Guthrie

Re: New starter! Worried about mail sorting?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

There's guys in my office who've been there 30 years and can't seem to get there head around the sorting.

It's a thing that takes time and it's unlikely much will be asked of you to start with, concentrate on learning all you can about the outdoor operation, indoors there's always someone around to ask for help if you're struggling.

Like I said some guys are still pretty useless after years in the job...
Only dead fish follow the current
clashcityrocker

Post by clashcityrocker »

Jmartindale130 wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 20:19

Cheers
There are 2 types of sorting in a delivery office.
1. Inward Primary Sorting - (IPS) This is when the mail arrives at the delivery office and is sorted into the different post rounds.
You need to know Acacia Avenue is on duty 1 and Acacia Close is on duty 3 etc.
There is a board above your head with all the information but you need to have training to be able to do this and it is unlikely you will be asked.

2. Sorting your own duty (Prep)
This is a bit like learning to type. Some walks are easier than others.
Most of the letters are in sequence anyway - if your duty starts at 2 Willow Avenue then the first letter in the tray will be 2 Willow Avenue (then 4, 6, 8 etc)
After completing the duty you begin to get an understanding of the layout of the duty - Willow Avenue is at the start, Elm Drive in the middle and Cherry Orchard at the end. Your arms will begin to move automatically to the right area of the frame.

If your on a shared van duty the packets get sorted into loops. The start and end of the loop is marked on the frame.
If you are on a HCT (High Capacity Trolley) duty the parcels are sorted into sequence row 1, row 2 row 3 row 4.

It isn't difficult. Everyone is slow at first. It just takes practice.
I've trained a lot of new entrants. I am always amazed at how slow and cack-handed they are at first. Then after a few days they begin to get the hang of things and by the end of the month it is like they have been doing it all their life.
None of it is difficult. It just takes practice.
Why not phone up Robin Hood
Dexydog

Post by Dexydog »

Good advice.
Another bit of good advice is don't use your car...