ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ROYAL MAIL DELAYS : PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE IS A BIT OF A BACKLOG IN THE SYSTEM, WE ARE DOING OUR BEST TO DELIVER WHAT WE CAN DAILY BUT UNFORTUNATELY IN SOME AREAS THERE WILL BE DELAYS. PLEASE HAVE SOME PATIENCE AS WE ARE DOING WHAT WE CAN.Postal workers of royalmailchat.co.uk

ROYAL MAIL INSTALLS EFFICIENCY - BOOSTING TECHNOLOGY ACROSS ITS FLEET TO FURTHER REDUCE EMISSIONS

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

ROYAL MAIL INSTALLS EFFICIENCY - BOOSTING TECHNOLOGY ACROSS ITS FLEET TO FURTHER REDUCE EMISSIONS

Post by POSTMAN »

https://www.royalmailgroup.com/en/press ... expansion/

Key points

Royal Mail is rolling out telemetry technology across its van fleet in a two-pronged initiative to further reduce the carbon emissions associated with its operations, and to enhance road safety.

Trimble Telemetry technology, which gives feedback to drivers encouraging more fuel-efficient and safer driving styles, will be installed in an additional 11,000 small Royal Mail vans by the end of March.

By March, the majority of the Royal Mail fleet will have telemetry systems installed.

Some form of telemetry will also be included as standard in all collection and delivery vans purchased by the Company moving forwards. It is already installed in all larger vehicles within the Royal Mail fleet.

Why Telemetry?

Telemetry systems encourage more fuel-efficient and safer driving styles by monitoring acceleration, braking and turning. The system then produces regular reports, which are used to create tailored, positive coaching for drivers.

Telemetry was first introduced into Royal Mail’s fleet in 2015, when around 13,000 large vehicles were equipped with the technology. Since 2019, the system has saved the Company approximately 177,000 litres of fuel within its small vehicle fleet, leading to a 459-tonne reduction in CO2e.

A Responsible Company

The expansion of telemetry demonstrates one of the ways in which the Company continues to reduce emissions associated with its operations, and how it is continually seeking to improve safe and efficient driving in its fleet.

As well as encouraging more fuel-efficient driving, the expansion of telemetry technology enhances road safety by promoting more careful driving styles.

Royal Mail is rolling out telemetry technology to an additional 11,000 small vans to encourage more fuel-efficient driving styles across the UK. The latest expansion will be using the Trimble Telemetry system.

The initiative, which will be complete later this year, will mean that the majority of the Royal Mail fleet will be fitted with the technology aimed at further reducing its carbon emissions.

Additionally, all new Royal Mail collection and delivery vans purchased moving forward will contain some form of telemetry technology.

Why Telemetry?

Telemetry systems encourage more fuel-efficient and safer driving styles by monitoring the driver’s acceleration, speed, turning and braking patterns, and giving them positive feedback.

Harsh braking and acceleration wears tyres quicker and generally produces higher emissions. In the Trimble telemetry system, real-time feedback is provided to the driver on all of these points. This information is used to compile regular reports, which then create positive, tailored coaching for drivers in each Royal Mail Delivery Office involved.

Since 2019, the system has saved the Company approximately 177,000 litres of fuel within its small vehicle fleet, leading to a reduction of 459 tonnes of CO2e.

A responsible Company

This initiative forms part of Royal Mail’s ongoing commitment to reduce emissions associated with its operations. With the UK's largest "Feet on the Street" network of 90,000 postmen and women across the UK, Royal Mail already has the lowest reported CO2e emissions per parcel amongst major UK delivery companies.

The expansion of telemetry capabilities, alongside various recently announced low-emission vehicle trials[1], is designed to help the Company inform its long-term environmental strategy, and to meet its goals of delivering a cleaner future.

James Baker, Chief Engineer and Fleet Director at Royal Mail said: “As a Company, we are committed to making changes to our operations that reduce our environmental impact. The wide-scale expansion of telemetry in our fleet enables us to ensure our drivers are given positive feedback and training on how to drive in the safest and most environmentally-conscious way possible, while allowing us to continue to deliver letters and parcels safely, efficiently and responsibly.”

Rob Painter, Trimble President and CEO said: “Sustainability is one of the defining issues of our generation. By expanding the use of Trimble’s integrated fleet, driver and mapping solutions across its fleet, Royal Mail will have the real-time telemetry tools needed to reach its long-term operational sustainability goals. Trimble is excited to be part of Royal Mail’s journey to help reduce its e
VERY IMPORTANT AND INFORMATIVE CORONAVIRUS THREAD HERE
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low life c***s they have always been.
2yearpostie

Re: ROYAL MAIL INSTALLS EFFICIENCY - BOOSTING TECHNOLOGY ACROSS ITS FLEET TO FURTHER REDUCE EMISSIONS

Post by 2yearpostie »

Shame ours dont work anymore
fb1969

Re: ROYAL MAIL INSTALLS EFFICIENCY - BOOSTING TECHNOLOGY ACROSS ITS FLEET TO FURTHER REDUCE EMISSIONS

Post by fb1969 »

Reducing emissions while having Fiat Doblo vans running at 2000rpm going nowhere for 10 minutes to clear the DPF at least once a week because the vehicle is not suitable for short journeys.
moug26

Post by moug26 »

Give us decent vans then
Manboat

Post by Manboat »

Some DPD people using electric ones in our area now, wonder how long it will be till we are, be years behind I expect.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

VERY IMPORTANT AND INFORMATIVE CORONAVIRUS THREAD HERE
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low life c***s they have always been.

Post by 1984 »

Had it for years. Beeps at me everytime i hit a pot hole or go round a corner in 3rd
Manboat

Post by Manboat »

That is one ugly looking vehicle but I’ll take it over the skips I find myself driving lately, bring em on :thumbup :thumbup
ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

Can't see it helping RM's total contribution to emissions having 10 extra vans all driving in to the same estate to deliver a lapsed duty when it would normally be just the 1.
claretandblue

Post by claretandblue »

It's a false economy, how many vans are off the road due to failing starter motors ? It's happened loads in our office.
Coffee lover

Post by Coffee lover »

Bring back bikes which will surely be better for the environment, they have these in Germany so why not here?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Coffee lover wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 12:04
Bring back bikes which will surely be better for the environment, they have these in Germany so why not here?
I agree but in some locations, they just aren't feasible.

25% - even coming down would be uncomfortable in the dry, never mind dangerous in the wet.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
I am using an automatic grammar and spelling app, your original post if quoted may be amended by default. No judgement in your use of grammar or spelling is intended or meant.
2yearpostie

Post by 2yearpostie »

I want this just for letter deliveries ( no good for parcels)

rambo1

Post by rambo1 »

fb1969 wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 18:23
Reducing emissions while having Fiat Doblo vans running at 2000rpm going nowhere for 10 minutes to clear the DPF at least once a week because the vehicle is not suitable for short journeys.
LOL. Exactly. Wasting money instead of investing in electric which would be perfect for your average van share. Our vehicle fleet are a laughing stock.
rambo1

Post by rambo1 »

1984 wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 23:26
Had it for years. Beeps at me everytime i hit a pot hole or go round a corner in 3rd

Mine beeped the other day while I was sat at traffic lights. And it was going from green to amber! Turning van off and on 70 times a day on a rural delivery you get through a starter motor every 18 months, had two on mine, and a new key. Mind you, it's better than idling for 10 secs while you step out and post mail into the box two feet from the door......or so I'm told.