not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Royal Mail hints it may seek to end Saturday letter deliveries.

08 Sep 2020, 21:50

You guys have it mostly the wrong way around.
1) A small amount of good news in the announcement for a change. Firstly they want to drop Saturdays and are not interested in the every other day delivery option. This will save thousands of jobs although dependent on how much 'natural wastage' occurs there could still be job losses or relocations. Secondly they also finally acknowledged the situation is not as bad as they have been suggesting for so long. Given we will continue to be very busy at least in terms of packets & parcels the new losses prediction will likely be less than 150 million & we could break even.
2) In the eyes of RM the 'customer' is ALWAYS the sender which means percentage wise the 'customer' will usually be corporations, companies, and service providers. The majority of people us posties serve are the general public who are known by RM as the 'recipient' because they mostly receive the mail.
3) D2Ds contracts come from 'customer' and usually not the 'recipient'. Once or if the Covid is brought under control or can be managed numbers of D2D contracts will likely return to their former quantities. D2Ds are, we are led to believe, a successful way to get more business so the 'customer' does not want them to stop or end. If Brexit does not result in GDPR ending then D2D will become an even more important method of getting more business.
4) RM have famously recently returned to the mantra that we only make profit when letters are delivered with the packets & parcels. Yet another reason to keep delivering the D2Ds. Of course we do have the other plan where large parcels & tracked are diverted through the three superhubs to be delivered separately via the LAT hubs.
5) If D2Ds were dropped, which won't happen, but IF it ever did happen this would settle the long standing argument on RMC about whether or not twenty quid from the supplement forms payment for delivering the D2Ds.

09 Sep 2020, 06:45

Celgar wrote:1) A small amount of good news in the announcement for a change. Firstly they want to drop Saturdays and are not interested in the every other day delivery option. This will save thousands of jobs although dependent on how much 'natural wastage' occurs there could still be job losses or relocations. Secondly they also finally acknowledged the situation is not as bad as they have been suggesting for so long. Given we will continue to be very busy at least in terms of packets & parcels the new losses prediction will likely be less than 150 million & we could break even.

It'll also affect anyone who has a mech duty at a MC or MPU (that is if RM don't close all the MPUs) as they might well end up moving to Sun-Thurs duties

Celgar wrote:2) In the eyes of RM the 'customer' is ALWAYS the sender which means percentage wise the 'customer' will usually be corporations, companies, and service providers. The majority of people us posties serve are the general public who are known by RM as the 'recipient' because they mostly receive the mail.

The "customer" always has been the sender. They're the ones who pay the postage.

Celgar wrote:3) D2Ds contracts come from 'customer' and usually not the 'recipient'. Once or if the Covid is brought under control or can be managed numbers of D2D contracts will likely return to their former quantities. D2Ds are, we are led to believe, a successful way to get more business so the 'customer' does not want them to stop or end. If Brexit does not result in GDPR ending then D2D will become an even more important method of getting more business.

D2Ds might well go way above pre-covid levels as business will be wanting to advertise to try and regain some of the business they had before covid

Celgar wrote:4) RM have famously recently returned to the mantra that we only make profit when letters are delivered with the packets & parcels. Yet another reason to keep delivering the D2Ds. Of course we do have the other plan where large parcels & tracked are diverted through the three superhubs to be delivered separately via the LAT hubs.

I can't see the LAT hubs being able to cope with doing absolutely all Tracked. More likely it'll just be any Tracked bigger than a shoe box though they'll need to be able to handle any size item as the segging of large and small Tracked on outward dispatches is s**t, no matter what MC they originate from (large mixed in with small both on normal yorks and in sleeves and non-Tracked mixed in with Tracked).

In the event that RM do move all Tracked over to the LAT hubs, each LAT hub will need to be able to handle 7.5-8k+ of Tracked each (it'll be much more than that for some areas)

09 Sep 2020, 16:52

Rommagic wrote:How soon could they axe Saturday delivery of letters?.

How long was it when they implemented it for the covid contingency?...was it a week from getting that PowerPoint presentation to going live with parcels delivery only on Saturday. Maybe something permanent to our contract of attendance would require more notice.

09 Sep 2020, 16:55

Maybe they will do a rota of saturday and sunday work?

09 Sep 2020, 17:59

2yearpostie wrote:Maybe they will do a rota of saturday and sunday work?

Most current posties are unlikely to want to work on Sundays and they don't really like working on Saturdays as it is. I predict RM will get a separate lot of staff to work at the weekends if they get the go-ahead for this plan.

09 Sep 2020, 18:06

Celgar wrote:

Most current posties are unlikely to want to work on Sundays and they don't really like working on Saturdays as it is. I predict RM will get a separate lot of staff to work at the weekends if they get the go-ahead for this plan.

Remember the 'can and want to work for royal mail' line?

09 Sep 2020, 18:46

2yearpostie wrote:
Celgar wrote:

It will be interesting how seniority plays out in this scenario.
Also remember we have a start and finish time. Do you know yours?

09 Sep 2020, 18:52

Rumple wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:
Celgar wrote:

It will be interesting how seniority plays out in this scenario.
Also remember we have a start and finish time. Do you know yours?

Started another thread on that subject, ive not got one as im a reserve i just relay on the dom managing me!

10 Sep 2020, 09:58

Wouldn't the weekend parcel deliveries predominantly be those from the parcel hubs via LAT offices ?

10 Sep 2020, 10:17

tractorboy2 wrote:Wouldn't the weekend parcel deliveries predominantly be those from the parcel hubs via LAT offices ?

I believe he DOs will still do all the Tracked that's smaller than a shoe box. There's no way that the LAT offices would be able to handle doing all the Tracked

10 Sep 2020, 14:02

SpacePhoenix wrote: There's no way that the LAT offices would be able to handle doing all the Tracked

Whether they can cope or not would be dependant on the resources available to them.
If they don't have the resources they won't be able to cope with 200 items.
If they do have adequate resourcing they will be able to cope with 7000.

10 Sep 2020, 16:00

I don't think it's really a case of whether LAT offices can cope, as Clash points out the afternoon deliveries will be resourced to the traffic they receive whether it's 200 or 7000.

The size and quantity of Tracked that move on to afternoon deliveries will depend on which is the better financial outcome for the business, separating the smaller stuff and sending them through the Mail centre network for morning delivery or keeping them in the superhub system and sending them directly to the delivery offices for afternoon delivery.

Since the superhubs will come online in stages I think it will probably be a dog's dinner combination of both to start with but it's hard to see a justification for the smaller tracked to be done by van in the afternoon after a walking postie has covered the ground already.

The last thing you want to do with parcel deliveries is have them basically walking the length of every street hitting every third door with something that goes through a letterbox. It's supposed to be about saving money after all.

10 Sep 2020, 19:21

Woody Guthrie wrote:separating the smaller stuff

:left: :left: :left:

The small and large Tracked is often mixed together. Often with normal packets, so DOs might still get large stuff through

10 Sep 2020, 19:33

SpacePhoenix wrote:

The small and large Tracked is often mixed together. Often with normal packets, so DOs might still get large stuff through

I'm not sure but I think the end game might be that all tracked initially enter the pipeline at the superhubs directly from the retailers so if that's the case there shouldn't be any mixing. Obviously if the small tracked then move on to the mail centre network they could then get mixed but I think the idea is that they'll hit the mail centre pre-sorted for DOs (that's the whole point of these superhubs).

Whether any of that will work in practice is a different story.

10 Sep 2020, 21:29

Woody Guthrie wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

I'm not sure but I think the end game might be that all tracked initially enter the pipeline at the superhubs directly from the retailers so if that's the case there shouldn't be any mixing. Obviously if the small tracked then move on to the mail centre network they could then get mixed but I think the idea is that they'll hit the mail centre pre-sorted for DOs (that's the whole point of these superhubs).

Whether any of that will work in practice is a different story.

One thing they'd need to sort out is whether the inward MC would have to scan them. They'd have to be dispatched to the hubs quite late as there could be Tracked returns in collections and there'd probably be some Tracked from smaller senders who might not separate the Tracked and non-Tracked (they might only keep the SDs separate)

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2