not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Royal Mail set to cut 2,000 management jobs

25 Jun 2020, 08:35

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53175739

Royal Mail is to cut 2,000 management jobs, about a fifth of its managers, as it struggles to deal with the effects of the coronavirus crisis.

The postal service was already facing challenges before the pandemic.

The company said the coronavirus outbreak had accelerated the trends of more parcels and fewer letters being sent.

Royal Mail said it had not adapted quickly enough to that change in the market.

The job cuts will mainly fall on so-called "back-office" roles, including finance, commercial and IT.

Royal Mail currently has about 9,700 managers, and the job losses will hit the most senior roles hardest, with half of them set to go.

Frontline postal staff are unlikely to be affected because Royal Mail needs to preserve "quality of service", a spokesman said.

The business has faced challenges for a number of years, and former chief executive Rico Back made a surprise exit from the business in May.

Royal Mail said that the planned job cuts, which it wants to make by March 2021, would save £130m on "people costs".

It did not pay a dividend to shareholders in 2020, and said in a statement to investors on Thursday that it would not pay a dividend in 2021 either.

In the year to March 2020 it made a profit before tax of £180m, down from £241m the year before.

25 Jun 2020, 08:59

I doubt they will be missed. Anyone outside the company can see that pushing frontline staff harder does not increase productivity. The majority of us have been propping up the minority of them.

£35,000 × 2,000 = £70,000,000

25 Jun 2020, 10:35

blobneb wrote:I doubt they will be missed. Anyone outside the company can see that pushing frontline staff harder does not increase productivity. The majority of us have been propping up the minority of them.

£35,000 × 2,000 = £70,000,000

£35k ? and the rest

25 Jun 2020, 11:05

Every business needs management but for years Royal Mail have been far too top heavy with senior managers in daft positions. For some reason they recruited more managers 3 years ago and I believe they even had a Senior meteorologist consultant at one point! Ah well, I suppose a few more coffee machines may be sold.

25 Jun 2020, 11:55

About time. Too many overpaid and underworked "managers" who are often knowhere to be seen. It is time to get rid of these middle men and women. They have been getting away with it for far too long.

25 Jun 2020, 14:52

Great news ...ours spend all shift performing OPG work rarely doing what in the old days was called supervising they cut there own throats. Also most of our floor managers are temporary so you can see most of them to go will be the higher level.

25 Jun 2020, 15:50

Why didnt they get rid of 2000 senior managers 4 years a go.. then profits would be up...

CLEARLY STRATIGIC RETARD THINKING..

But they are jobs for the boys on the gravy train..

P i s s take..

25 Jun 2020, 15:53

What a lot of people dont realise is that this is the start of job losses. They are starting from top with generous pay offs to managers who probably want to leave for other work any way.
I just read the full statement from CEO and he clearly says that postal staff jobs need to slashed as he believes that posties are only delivering 400 to 500 letters per route rather than 900 a day a few years ago.He doesnt expect it to change when the covid crisis ends.
However we have all seen parcels and small packets treble over the last few months and letters havent been as low as he claims. We have also seen more written letters and cards than we have done for many a year.
The "letters" he refers too is the downstream access bulk posting. For many years other mail companies,such as uk mail and tnt, have been collecting this mail ,taking the cream of profit and then Royal Mail deliver the letters. This is part of having the monopoly on USO.
Its hardly been fairly regulated over the past few years and gives more advantage to rival business.
What needs to happen is for either Royal Mail to demand fairer and better conditions of USO or to move away from letter business completely. Moving away from letters business would be very risky at the moment as rival parcel companies are years ahead of the game.
Amazon and TNT in particular were investing in mid 90s for rivaling the letter and parcel business. Royal Mail sadly relied on reputation and their historic success. Unfortunately the changes now are too drastic and come too late.
We are looking at the end of a dominant letters business but maybe the slow rise of a successfull parcel business.
Im a cwu rep and know that unions will always fight job losses. The problem we have is we may save jobs but then have a significantly less satisfying job conditions for all employees.
Job losses are coming whether union oppose it ir not and the losses will have more power by means of the covid 19 excuse and government backing i think.

25 Jun 2020, 16:10

So which posties would go first?

The young flexible 25 hr contract guys who are cheap to get rid of but useful to the company
or
The old guard near retirement but not quite there yet, that are on full time contracts and dont move around as they only know two or three other walks.

25 Jun 2020, 16:13

I agree with the above , but No Party / Government is going to allow RM to pull out of the USO , it may allow it to be amended to X number of deliveries a week , but to be scraped altogether No

25 Jun 2020, 16:39

The suspending the saturday letter delivery recently,due to covid 19 fears, was definitely an attempt to change the way we deliver permanently.
It may of caused greater volume of letters on monday and tuesdays but if the new CEO gets government backing to scrap saturday letter delivery than many thousands of postal jobs will go. You would no longer need as many floaters. The saturday duty would probably extend to Sunday too so that parcels are deliverable 7 days a week. Thats what rivals do and most parcels are required at weekends. One parcel duty would cover 4 or 5 duties.

25 Jun 2020, 16:43

dolphlundgren73 wrote: if the new CEO gets government backing to scrap saturday letter delivery than many thousands of postal jobs will go. You would no longer need as many floaters. The saturday duty would probably extend to Sunday too so that parcels are deliverable 7 days a week. Thats what rivals do and most parcels are required at weekends. One parcel duty would cover 4 or 5 duties.

So the duties that would be cut from Saturday would be counterbalanced by the introduction of new duties on Sunday.
So where do "the many thousands of postal job will go " come from?

25 Jun 2020, 17:01

clashcityrocker wrote:
dolphlundgren73 wrote: if the new CEO gets government backing to scrap saturday letter delivery than many thousands of postal jobs will go. You would no longer need as many floaters. The saturday duty would probably extend to Sunday too so that parcels are deliverable 7 days a week. Thats what rivals do and most parcels are required at weekends. One parcel duty would cover 4 or 5 duties.

So the duties that would be cut from Saturday would be counterbalanced by the introduction of new duties on Sunday.
So where do "the many thousands of postal job will go " come from?

25 Jun 2020, 17:07

duties wouldnt be like you know now. You might be in groups of 4 doing a 4 day week. The first pair work 4 days on longer increased shift pattern with 4 days off. The other pair cover days off. The increased size of duties mean that less staff are needed . Possibly 1 duty absorbed per 5 ? . This is already being looked into . I have done full revisions and the 4 day week is an option in a 6day week but maybe at cost of part time duties ir floaters being no longer needed. You cant think that the way you deliver now is how its going to be in 2 years.it isnt and has been changing for many years now.

25 Jun 2020, 17:09

Items circulating through the New Packet / Parcel Hubs / LAT Delivery Offices will be 7 Day Delivery

25 Jun 2020, 17:15

roadrunner bill wrote:Why didnt they get rid of 2000 senior managers 4 years a go.. then profits would be up...

CLEARLY STRATIGIC RETARD THINKING..

But they are jobs for the boys on the gravy train..

P i s s take..

There's always jobs for the boys in RM and not just in management

25 Jun 2020, 20:30

is it suprising that after more than a decade of cuts and savings we still have somewhere in the region of 10 000 managers ?

25 Jun 2020, 20:59

RM cannot request changes to the USO until all its costs are under control, Ofcom know people finish early.

We have a classic situation in my office, we have a part timer who comes in early and does around 4hrs overtime before the official start time.
The same person will finish before time and make anywhere between 2-3hrs.
So essentially costing RM between 6-7hrs per day.

Until this sort of work practice is brought under control then Ofcom will do f**k all in reducing the USO for RM.

25 Jun 2020, 22:12

couldn't of happened to a better bunch,for all my years in Royal Mail i can honestly say ive never met a nice one or useful one come to that,its funny how you have postmen and women with degrees and higher education and some of the managers ive known have barely made it out of secondary school. Incentivise the workers and Royal Mail could be great again.

26 Jun 2020, 07:05

Phantom wrote:RM cannot request changes to the USO until all its costs are under control, Ofcom know people finish early.

We have a classic situation in my office, we have a part timer who comes in early and does around 4hrs overtime before the official start time.
The same person will finish before time and make anywhere between 2-3hrs.
So essentially costing RM between 6-7hrs per day.

Until this sort of work practice is brought under control then Ofcom will do f**k all in reducing the USO for RM.

You do realise that your example is massively and I mean massively out weighed by those who work for nothing ...I.e coming in early , not taking breaks , not using trollies , not claiming at the end of their shift.

We worked it out in my last office that RM were getting away with at least 200 hours a week and that was on the conservative side and included those who made time which was a very small minority.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2