ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Attacking seagulls have stopped Royal Mail posties delivering mail on a Cardiff street

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Attacking seagulls have stopped Royal Mail posties delivering mail on a Cardiff street

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... l-16451017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Residents have been known to arm themselves with umbrellas to fend off the swooping bird

Residents around Cardiff's Roath Park have been told that aggressive seagulls attacking posties could see their mail deliveries being stopped.

Royal Mail has told locals that nesting gulls are swooping at staff as they try to make their rounds along the city's Farm Drive, leading to parcels and letters instead being held at the depot for collection or reallocated to different designated addresses.

The letter, dated June 13, reads: " As you may be aware we are currently experiencing some difficulties in delivering to you due to seagulls in the area swooping at delivery staff in order to protect their young.

"This is on occasion affecting our ability to deliver to you and/ or your neighbours safely.

"This purpose of this letter is to firstly advise you of-the issues we are experiencing, and also to assure you that we will continue to attempt deliveries every day.

Royal Mail says seagulls are 'on occasion affecting our ability to deliver to you and/or your neighbours'

"However, on any day we are unable to deliver to you safely, your address will be classed as an exception that day and your mail will be returned to the office above, where it will be held securely until we can attempt delivery again the following day.

"I appreciate this is not ideal. so I would also like to take the opportunity to offer you alternative arrangements which may be more preferable for the time being, until the birds have flown."

The letter is signed by Royal Mail Delivery Office manager Jonathan Brooking.

Farm Dive hit the news in April last year when an estimated 15 pairs of breeding pairs of gulls began taking exception to deliveries of both mail and milk in an attempt to protect their chicks.

Some residents even began arming themselves with umbrellas to fend off the swooping birds.

And, in April 2018, Royal Mail also informed more than 100 residents in nearby Cyncoed that services were being hit by the breeding gulls.

However, one Farm Drive resident thinks the postal service is being overly cautious this time.

"I've lived here for more than a year and have spoken to my neighbours about this - they've all had letters too," says Sean McMahon, who works in PR and marketing.

"None of them claim to have had a problem with seagulls dive-bombing them.

"The bin men and the traffic wardens certainly don't seem to have a problem coming down here.

"To be quite honest, the danger of occasionally being poo'd on is probably a bigger threat," adds the 45-year-old.

It is estimated that Cardiff has the largest urban gull population in the Severn Estuary and late spring and early summertime is traditionally when they have their young.

All gulls are protected species in the UK through the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and there isn't any statutory duty on local councils to manage their population.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."