not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Royal Mail ousts head of UK post (Sue Whalley ) after turbulent summer

07 Nov 2018, 13:17

https://www.ft.com/content/3b907c38-e26 ... 22a430c1ad

A new deputy chair, who has a background in worker relations, was also appointed

Royal Mail has ousted the head of its UK post and parcels division and appointed a new deputy chairman with a background in worker relations, in an effort to stabilise the group after months of upheaval.

The postal group said on Wednesday that after 12 years Sue Whalley, chief executive of post and parcels UK, would step down with immediate effect. She will complete the handover of her responsibilities, which are to be taken up by chief executive Rico Back and chief financial officer Stuart Simpson, by the end of March.

“The Board have agreed that she will leave Royal Mail,” the company said in a statement. “Sue will work alongside Stuart Simpson on our Christmas operational programme and assist the Company with ongoing regulatory, legal and other matters, as appropriate.” The appointment of a second senior executive to support Mr Simpson is to be announced in due course.

Royal Mail also said it had appointed the head of its audit and risk committee Keith Williams as deputy chairman with immediate effect. The group said he was “in the process of reviewing his external commitments” in order to focus more on Royal Mail.

Mr Williams, who was an executive chairman of British Airways until 2016, has “a very strong track record in operational transformation, digital strategy and industrial relations, including pensions,” Royal Mail said.

That experience is significant given the months of upheaval the company has faced, from shareholders and workers alike. A summer of unrest saw a shareholder revolt over boardroom pay and the resignation of the company’s chairman, while earlier in the year nationwide strikes were narrowly avoided after postal workers voted to approve a deal on pensions, pay and working conditions.

In October a profit warning sent Royal Mail’s share price down by almost a third to its lowest point since its 2013 float. The company blamed slow productivity growth at its core UK business, which it said was “significantly below plan,” and a decline in the volume of letters being sent. On Wednesday, shares in Royal Mail edged up 2 per cent.

“The Board would like to thank Sue Whalley for the significant contribution she has made to Royal Mail across a whole range of issues over the last twelve years. She has a strong track record of driving operational and cultural change, supporting letters, and implementing digital transformations to support the growth of the parcels business. We wish her well in the future,” said chairman Les Owen.

“Following all we have done to move the organisation forward in recent years and to implement change to position Royal Mail as a leader in e-commerce, now is the time to move on,” said Ms Whalley.

Royal Mail ousts head of UK post after turbulent summer

07 Nov 2018, 14:32

Terry will be gutted.

Royal Mail boss Rico Back to assume direct commercial responsibility for its UK post & parcels business

07 Nov 2018, 14:56

https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/co ... 08732.html

The FTSE 100-listed firm said Sue Whalley, current CEO of Royal Mail's Post & Parcels UK arm has stepped down from its board with immediate effect and will depart from the company entirely by the end of March 2019

Royal Mail said its chief financial officer, Stuart Simpson will take on operational responsibility for Post & Parcels UK

Royal Mail PLC’s (LON:RMG) chief executive officer Rico Back is to assume direct commercial responsibility for the company's domestic letters and parcels business, Post & Parcels UK.

In a statement also announcing the promotion of non-executive director Keith Williams to the role of deputy chairman, the FTSE 100-listed firm said Sue Whalley, current CEO of Royal Mail's Post & Parcels UK arm, has stepped down from its board with immediate effect.

It added that Whalley, who has been with the privatised mail delivery company for 12 years, is scheduled to depart from the company entirely by the end of March 2019 after a transition of her responsibilities.

The company said its chief financial officer, Stuart Simpson will take on operational responsibility for Post & Parcels UK.

It added that Simpson will continue to report to Back and be supported by a senior operations executive, whose appointment will be announced in due course.

In early afternoon trading, Royal Mail shares were 1.6% higher at 358.70p.

07 Nov 2018, 15:51

:Boo hoo! before the s**t hits the fan

07 Nov 2018, 18:25

Alas Trublue shares fell again by end of the day to 348 one of the lowest figures to date !!
I noticed Mr Williams another one of our non executive directors with other commitments ???? sound familiar !!
vast wage but not 100% commitment -yet we need to make more savings ???
strange strategy !!
the turbulent summer not solely down to one person-culmination of event which has led to numerous depots venting their feelings
were tired/injured often-workload as huge as it ever been -lost our identity with the public massively
countries population increase by approx. 200,000 each year but mail falls !! less than 10% of over 65s own a PC but e-mail biting into us !!!!
the profit notice put us on the back foot-every analyst i saw comment on it-said Royal Mail did not need to announce it
i worked in the City in 70/80s albeit LLoyd of London but if you in trouble -you never told a sole until last minute
we know why the announcement made -THE SHARES PURE AND SIMPLE
our competitors mad no such anouncements just before the busiest time of year for us all -cant think why they have not !!!!!!!
read recently -one of the largest employers who rely totally on overtime to get the job done !! -never a truer statement
guess pension news a small ray of sunshine-but could still take well over year to become law etc
still -the footsoldiers will battle on to deliver the best service possible
lets see what/if anything changes re new senior personnel and see if they have greater insight to the issues/problems at delivery level
and can make life better for us all

07 Nov 2018, 19:31

the turbulent summer not solely down to one person-culmination of event which has led to numerous depots venting their feelings
lets see what/if anything changes re new senior personnel and see if they have greater insight to the issues/problems at delivery level
and can make life better for us all[/quote]
You must be a born optimist is all I can say. Live in hope,die in despair.

07 Nov 2018, 19:39

Get ready for a complete bastard to take her place and to make even larger cuts because that's the reason for her stepping down. The next person will want blood in order to fuel the share holders, get ready for war lads n' lasses.

07 Nov 2018, 19:58

clashcityrocker wrote:Terry will be gutted.

I was wondering if Herr Black was not impressed with the results of the 2 days tete-a-tete a few weeks ago.... back to the drawing board Terry.....

08 Nov 2018, 10:37

Phantom wrote:Get ready for a complete bastard to take her place and to make even larger cuts because that's the reason for her stepping down. The next person will want blood in order to fuel the share holders, get ready for war lads n' lasses.

That's the feeling I get from this mob. Either there getting ready to compromise with the unions on culture, part timers getting made up and holiday pay or there positioning themselves for a WAR. The latter is what I think. Maybe she was getting to cosy with the union. Maybe she was being to REASONABLE in their corporate, I DON'T WANT TO PAY UK INCOME TAX, eyes and she had to go. Let's face it she was binned. :cuppa

08 Nov 2018, 16:38

Navalron wrote:
Phantom wrote:Get ready for a complete bastard to take her place and to make even larger cuts because that's the reason for her stepping down. The next person will want blood in order to fuel the share holders, get ready for war lads n' lasses.

That's the feeling I get from this mob. Either there getting ready to compromise with the unions on culture, part timers getting made up and holiday pay or there positioning themselves for a WAR. The latter is what I think. Maybe she was getting to cosy with the union. Maybe she was being to REASONABLE in their corporate, I DON'T WANT TO PAY UK INCOME TAX, eyes and she had to go. Let's face it she was binned. :cuppa

That's the way I read it. The biggest costs in this industry is labour.

08 Nov 2018, 16:44

Bernardson wrote: The biggest costs in this industry is labour.

And its biggest asset.

08 Nov 2018, 17:32

clashcityrocker wrote:

And its biggest asset.

The posties and their collective knowledge is the only asset RM have apart from the postcode system. Most of the knowledge we have is not held on file by or known by RM centrally. Without us this company would be down the tubes.

08 Nov 2018, 17:53

Peter Long .................. Resigned.
Sue Whalley................. Sacked.
Miss Ni-Chionna.......... ???????
Rico Black.................... ???????

I don't think Sue Whalley should have been the next one to go. She didn't seem like the right person for the job in terms of charisma but she hadn't made as many cock ups as some of the other managers. Miss Ni-Chionna should have been the next one for the chop given her terrible decisions on directors remuneration and her total unwillingness to admit her failures.

The new candidate for deputy chairman is a non-executive director type person no doubt with a vast array of paid positions. He was apparently working for British Airways until 2016 which is not a good sign if RM expect him to improve employee relations. I can't remember the specifics but I'm fairly certain BA has had a terrible employee track record for a number of years with many strikes etc. Maybe RM want the opposite of good employee relations to be enacted or are getting ready to put the boot in.

08 Nov 2018, 19:15

clashcityrocker wrote:

And its biggest asset.

I agree, the staff are their biggest asset.
The experience and knowledge of the posties determine the standards of service the public receive, while trying to cope with the added expectations of people who know nothing about the job. Add the reduction in staff numbers and much longer delivery spans they are easily RMs best asset.
By the way labour costs are generally speaking ANY companies biggest cost, so RM are not alone in coping with that problem. Maybe cutting top management costs and their bonus culture could reap better running costs though !

09 Nov 2018, 18:51

Well said tommyrep

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2