ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE


Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

11 Jan 2018, 16:18

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... l-14141783

Postal workers walked out in a row over the way they are spoken to by managers

Postal workers in Wirral walked out in a row over the way staff are spoken to by their managers.

Around 30 members of staff at Wallasey Delivery Office on Manor Road staged the unofficial industrial action on this morning.


Workers gathered outside the delivery office at around 10am while talks took place between union representatives and managers.

The Communication Workers’ Union (CWU) and Royal Mail said there would be further discussions to resolve workers’ concerns.

Royal Mail apologised to customers and said there had been disruption to services in the CH44 and CH45 areas of Wallasey.

Mark Walsh, branch secretary of CWU Merseyside, said: “The issue has been resolved and staff will be working normally again on Friday.

“The issue was over the way the staff were being spoken to. Some felt they weren’t being spoken to properly by management.”

Mr Walsh said the union would be holding talks with managers over the next few weeks to find a way forward.

Royal Mail spokesperson Sally Hopkins said: “Royal Mail is disappointed that unballoted industrial action is taking place today (Thursday) at Wallasey delivery office. This covers the CH44 and CH45 postcode areas.

“We sincerely apologise to customers in these areas for any disruption to their mail services. We are doing all we can to minimise this disruption by bringing in extra resources.

“Royal Mail is fully committed to the process to resolve concerns of postal workers based in the Wallasey office by following the national jointly agreed framework with the Communication Workers Union (CWU).”

Royal Mail said the customer service point for customers to collect items of mail had remained open as normal.


Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

11 Jan 2018, 16:33

I hope that in any new agreement, Royal Mail will agree to not churning out the same old garbage statement each time there is unofficial walk outs.

Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

11 Jan 2018, 16:35

royal mail is fully committed to blah blah s**t blah s**t blah blah....same old same old.

Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

11 Jan 2018, 17:11

this is what the cwu need to stop and if managers are up to the job :arrrghhh , then get rid :wave

Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

12 Jan 2018, 08:01

it will ALWAYS be a case of US AND THEM , they're out of touch with us , the workers. All these new graduates walking around with a clipboard don't help getting the mail on the streets.
It's all rush rush to finish the ips , even when we have hardly anyone to do it, after that is done, the managers (6 of them) are on the coffee and computer games, one long teabreak.

That is why rm is going downhill, fast and with no brakes, too many chiefs...

Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

12 Jan 2018, 16:33

I remember the days of old when linos were posties themselves, they worked their way up the ranks and knew the job inside out.

They had respect and most importantly it was mutual.

Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

12 Jan 2018, 16:52

NWpostie wrote:I remember the days of old when linos were posties themselves, they worked their way up the ranks and knew the job inside out.

They had respect and most importantly it was mutual.


Every line manager I've had (and that's a lot) has been an ex-postie.
They have all been just as inept at management as they were as posties.
This is the 21st century and Royal Mail still hangs on to the idea that the skills are transferable, you've as much chance of being a decent manager after 20 years as a postie as the cleaner has.

Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

12 Jan 2018, 21:53

I'm not denying there were bad managers, you probably had the bad luck to get the bad ones, the era pre 1994 there were very few graduate managers, most came from the ranks, some good, some bad, for most parts they were old school, if you did something wrong it was dealt with there and then, it was forgotten afterward.

I don't know how long you was in, 30+ years ago things were a lot different.

Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

13 Jan 2018, 13:31

Its nobody's fault except Royal Mails that they have bad managers. They don't train them properly, they don't develop their skills, they don't provide support and encouragement and they have no way of recognising and fast-tracking the rare exceptional managers that are both good at the job, and at getting the most from their employees.

In fact, the exact opposite is true, they promote based on nothing except that you volunteered, there appears to be no attempt to recognise potentially outstanding managers. They reward failure, encourage a confrontational approach instead of a collaborative one. There is an ethos that only hard-charging managers who upset their workers are the only good ones as they get the job done.

The culture in RM management stinks and I have often said it needs changing before Royal Mail can become a market leader and before I can be proud of working for them.

Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

13 Jan 2018, 14:05

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Its nobody's fault except Royal Mails that they have bad managers. They don't train them properly, they don't develop their skills, they don't provide support and encouragement and they have no way of recognising and fast-tracking the rare exceptional managers that are both good at the job, and at getting the most from their employees.

In fact, the exact opposite is true, they promote based on nothing except that you volunteered, there appears to be no attempt to recognise potentially outstanding managers. They reward failure, encourage a confrontational approach instead of a collaborative one. There is an ethos that only hard-charging managers who upset their workers are the only good ones as they get the job done.

The culture in RM management stinks and I have often said it needs changing before Royal Mail can become a market leader and before I can be proud of working for them.


The buck stops at the top. Moya Greene's reign has been an absolute failure in terms of her ability or perhaps ambitions to promote conditions in the workplace that enable management and workers to succeed alongside each other, creating the conditions to grow and enjoy coming to work each day.
Her principles are of achieving bottom line profit at all costs, commandeering a band of yes men to do the dirty work that she wont do herself, to drive down costs, increase output regardless of impact on the health and safety of human beings.
Perhaps it is now that she has had to show her face at the talks she will realise that over 100,000 of the people that she is reliant on to make those profits are saying to her that enough is enough. We will see. Unless she is prepared to completely change the work ethics/atmosphere within the camp she is heading for a mighty fall.

Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

16 Jan 2018, 14:02

NWpostie wrote:I'm not denying there were bad managers, you probably had the bad luck to get the bad ones, the era pre 1994 there were very few graduate managers, most came from the ranks, some good, some bad, for most parts they were old school, if you did something wrong it was dealt with there and then, it was forgotten afterward.

I don't know how long you was in, 30+ years ago things were a lot different.



100% agree when I went PHG I was approached by 2 proper oldskool managers asking if I wanted to go on the acting list.
Now you can walk off the street and run a DO etc.....

Wallasey post hit as Royal Mail workers walk out in row with managers

16 Jan 2018, 14:57

NWpostie wrote:I'm not denying there were bad managers, you probably had the bad luck to get the bad ones, the era pre 1994 there were very few graduate managers, most came from the ranks, some good, some bad, for most parts they were old school, if you did something wrong it was dealt with there and then, it was forgotten afterward.

I don't know how long you was in, 30+ years ago things were a lot different.

Pre 1994 there were no budgets. All problems could be solved by throwing wads of cash around.

A lot of the current crop of managers have absolutely no idea how to manage a unit within the confines of their budget.
They have no idea how to manage their staff,
They have no idea what the job is actually like out on the street.

Conversely there are still a lot of staff who regard doing an honest days work as unthinkable.
There are staff who still assume they are entitled to an hour docket just for turning up 10 minutes late every day.

The woefully incompetent versus the terminally workshy.
It is a battle I see being played out every day.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 1