ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Here's why this Bath postbox has been specially decorated by Royal Mail

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Here's why this Bath postbox has been specially decorated by Royal Mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/news/bat ... lly-865980" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The postbox in Lower Borough Walls features the first ever commercially produced Christmas card

A specially decorated Royal Mail postbox featuring the first ever commercially produced Christmas card was unveiled in Bath today (December 1).

The one-of-a-kind postbox in Lower Borough Walls honours Sir Henry Cole, who was born in the city in 1808 and commissioned the first festive card.

As a distinguished civil servant, he played a key role in the development of the Penny Post under Rowland Hill, and later became the first director of the Victoria & Albert Museum.

In 1843, Sir Henry commissioned John C Horsley to design the Christmas card, which featured Cole and friends enjoying “Old English festivity”.

One thousand cards were produced using a lithographic printing technique and then hand coloured.

Once Sir Henry had sent all the cards he required, the rest were made available for purchase. They cost 6d (sixpence) each, making them a luxury item at the time.

Wera Hobhouse, MP for Bath, said: “It is great to see this special postbox commemorating the first ever commercially produced Christmas card.

“Sir Henry Cole had a lifelong interest in art and design, and it is wonderful that this piece of Christmas history is being celebrated in the city where Sir Henry was born.

“I am sure the residents and visitors to Bath will enjoy using this unique postbox over the Christmas period.”

The card that Sir Henry commissioned is recognised as the first commercially produced Christmas card ever made.

It led the way for an industry that now sees over 1.13 billion Christmas cards being purchased in the UK each year, according the Greetings Card Association.

Recent Royal Mail research confirmed that the appeal of Christmas cards has endured in the digital age, with almost 80 per cent of people saying they prefer to receive a physical card over an e-card.

Bath Delivery Office manager Matt Curtis said: “It is fascinating to hear that a figure like Sir Henry helped usher in both the modern postal system and the modern Christmas card.

“It just goes to show what a special role Royal Mail has played in delivering Christmas for over 500 years. All of us at Bath Delivery Office and around the country are proud to continue this role today.

“As Christmas is our busiest time of year, we would encourage our customers to beat the rush this year and get their Christmas mail posted early.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."